Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CERCAS (fences in Spanish) is a 2 - player territorial game.

Materials

A sheet with a 8x8 grid made up of dots

Pencils

Setup

Draw lines along the outer points of the 8x8 grid, making the edge of the board

Definitions

Open Area - At the start of the game, the entire board is considered the open area

Closed Areas - A Closed Area is made up of a minimum of 1 space and a maximum of 5 spaces

Play

The board starts out empty

One player is “X” the other “O”

Decide who goes first, turns then alternate

On your turn,

1 - Draw an orthogonal line end to end connecting either, two, three or four points, then

2 - Place one of your marks on an empty space adjacent to the line/lines you've just drawn

A combination of the edge of the board and lines drawn in by the players make up an enclosed area

The game ends when a player is unable to perform his two actions

Restrictions

1 - Your mark may be Diagonally adjacent to your opponents mark, but not Orthogonally adjacent

2 - No more than three lines extending from a single point

Scoring

A player with the majority of marks within an enclosed area, scores the number of spaces within that area.

Tied areas and areas made of a single space are not scored

Highest score wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I think I like it.

Does all scoring occur after the game ends? I would assume so, but perhaps you intend to score an area at the moment it is enclosed. But this introduces some questions, since there may be playable lines inside such an area.

The implications of restriction 3 is not entirely clear to me. Is it possible to enclose an area using the boundary as one or more sides of the area? Would you draw the boundary lines at game end (or start) to illustrate this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NJames wrote:
I think I like it.

Does all scoring occur after the game ends? I would assume so, but perhaps you intend to score an area at the moment it is enclosed. But this introduces some questions, since there may be playable lines inside such an area.

The implications of restriction 3 is not entirely clear to me. Is it possible to enclose an area using the boundary as one or more sides of the area? Would you draw the boundary lines at game end (or start) to illustrate this?

Yes all the scoring is at the end of the game.

Removing restriction 3, will state that that the edge of the board is a closed boundary that should be drawn at the start of the game.

Quote:
Is it possible to enclose an area using the boundary as one or more sides of the area?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reyalicea wrote:

Materials

A sheet with a 7x7 grid made up of dots

Just so I'm clear, this means an 8x8 array of dots, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
qswanger wrote:
reyalicea wrote:

Materials

A sheet with a 7x7 grid made up of dots

Just so I'm clear, this means an 8x8 array of dots, right?

Yes an 8x8 of dots, thanks Quin. I'll fix that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Final rules above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not quite clear on the enclosed area rule. If a fourth mark can't be made in an enclosed area, then the entire board is an enclosed area with three marks in it after the first player's second turn (assuming he didn't cause another enclosed area to be formed). So the first player wins, claiming the entire board.

Maybe I'm missing something. I really shouldn't be posting this late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
I'm not quite clear on the enclosed area rule. If a fourth mark can't be made in an enclosed area, then the entire board is an enclosed area with three marks in it after the first player's second turn (assuming he didn't cause another enclosed area to be formed). So the first player wins, claiming the entire board.

Maybe I'm missing something. I really shouldn't be posting this late.

Thanks for pointing this out, I should have defined what the open and closed areas were.

I've edited the rules hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin T. Rancourt
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

If you are still in the market for more comments (nit-picks?) on these rules, the section labelled "Definitions" gives explanatory notes or stipulations rather than definitions (since I'm assuming the entire board at the beginning of the game is not the only open area, and not just any set of 1 to 5 spaces is a closed area).

That is my contribution.

Best,

Ben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.