Escape Room: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: Question about keys and setup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fred Tortonesi
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I dont have the game in my hands yet. But was wondering why keysnhave different shape holes etc. Also how does the decoder know what game you are playing?
Ibwas confused by vid showing the keys saying something about sides of keys having different sides and shapes. So wanted to know how things work before i get it in my hands

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

| __| |_ _| | _ | | _|
| | | | | | | | | |
= = = = ===

The 4 key shapes have above "prongs" sticking out the bottom.

The 1st and last are reversible, the middle two are not.

It shouldn't be hard to see that these correspond to switches in the device, and yield (effectively) the codes:
001 010 011 100 101 110 -- 000 and 111 are not present

The reversible keys have different markings on each side, and the shapes in them are not mirror images, they are obviously different (like slanted parralelogram to the left or right, and right triangle to the left or right).

A key will have a shape, letter, number, roman numeral and some other markings on it. The puzzle will determine which symbol set is important. Sometimes it might be a 4 number sequence. Another it might be a 4 letter word, etc.

This gives you 6 different values for each of the 4 different slots, for 6^4 different possible codes.

As to how it knows which game you are playing? I suspect it doesn't.

There are two ways this is working.

Method A: some codes are '1st or 2nd puzzles' and some codes are 'you finished. The device doesn't know what puzzle you're doing, just that the code you entered is valid.

Method B: Slightly more complicated -- there are some codes that are 'first answer' -- and then that determines 'second answer' and 'final answer'. Based on the 'first answer' you entered, the rest of the answers are fixed.

Since there are expansions coming out, there have to be a least a dozen or so valid sequences. Since you don't tell it some sort of 'starting code' to get things going, one of the two scoring methods has to be the one programmed into the device.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fred Tortonesi
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanks. Be playing the game as soon as it arrives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin G
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can test to see if it is Method A or Method B. Power on the device and try one of the Second or Third correct codes from a mission you completed. If the machine gives you the correct sound even though it was a 2nd or 3rd correct answer then Method A is likely how the machine works, if it comes back as incorrect then you know you probably must first put in a correct 1st code which will tell the machine what scenario you are playing and what the following two codes should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jgunnz wrote:
You can test to see if it is Method A or Method B. Power on the device and try one of the Second or Third correct codes from a mission you completed. If the machine gives you the correct sound even though it was a 2nd or 3rd correct answer then Method A is likely how the machine works, if it comes back as incorrect then you know you probably must first put in a correct 1st code which will tell the machine what scenario you are playing and what the following two codes should be.

I plan to do this AFTER I have completed all 4 scenarios.

Then I begin some black-box testing, because once you know what sequences are valid and how it's put together, you can make your OWN scenarios with the device.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lara Spitz
msg tools
Are there not 6^4 possible codes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bensa wrote:
Are there not 6^4 possible codes?

You are of course correct. Please proceed to level 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Bennetts
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
So I experimented a little, and I discovered just how the Chrono Decoder works. Spoilers for revealing the mystery.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
So I went through the walkthroughs and wrote down all the solutions. Turns out the decoder is much more simple than you would think. All of the codes are programmed as 1st, 2nd, or 3rd solutions. It doesn't matter what combination they are, as long as they correspond to the correct "level" you are at. For example, I started with solution 1 from prison break, entered solution 2 from virus, and solution three from temple of the aztec, and I still "won". Kind of neat, but its concerning that it is possibly very easy to get a false positive. The end code for Aztec is
which is very similar to the end code for murder mystery
sure, they make these codes very obvious in the scenarios (basically handing you the correct answers) but it is still possible to win either scenario with one simple mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the analysis. My guess would have been they hard code a list of first level codes and then calculate 2nd and 3rd based on those. Guess that's not the case.
The nice thing about their implementation is that you will not get stuck going down the wrong path, e.g. if you accidentally enter the 1st level code of a different scenario the machine is not stuck waiting for you to enter the 2nd level code of the wrong scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.