Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Trying to find an old card game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Randall
msg tools
I've been driving myself crazy for the past several hours trying to dig up a copy of an old card game some friends and I used to play back in college. Google seems to think I'm talking about Cards Against Humanity or Cheap Shot. I am not. This game predates both of them. Cheap Shot is... somewhat similar, but lacks many of the core mechanics. I come to you hoping that someone will know what the hell I'm talking about and point me in the right direction.

The premise of this game is to insult your friends/other players. Each turn, the active player draws a card, then attempts to construct an insult from the cards available in their hand. If an insult can be played, it must be played against another player. The target of the insult is selected and the active player reads out the insult as it's laid on the table. At the end of the turn, the player discards a card. The round ends when any player ends their turn by discarding the last remaining card in their hand.

Successfully played insults go in special piles in front of players and are not sent to the discard pile. Each card has a word or phrase, a number of red or green symbols along the edges, and a point value. The symbols make up the core mechanic of the game. Valid insults have to be constructed like a puzzle. Each must begin with a Starter, then match symbols along the card edges (A green arrow on the right hand side will "mate" with a green bar on the left of another card) to chain cards together, ending with a finisher. One Liners are a special kind of card that contain a whole insult and are played alone. Furthermore... cards are played after a complete insult and allow a whole nother insult to be chained onto the first. Or the second.

One does not have to sit idly by and take all this abuse, however. There are two types of "defense" cards available if an insult is played against you. The basic version contain phrases such as "As if." "Whatever." "You kiss your mother with that mouth?" and the like. If played against an incoming insult, that insult is nullified. The second type are I Retort, which allows the insulted player to play their own insult, out of turn, against the person who insulted them. If successful, the retorting player not only scores their own insult, but the one played against them as well.

Yes, defense cards and retorts can be used against each other. This means that Player 1 can play an insult against Player 2, who responds with a Retort, to which Player 1 responds with a defense card... and so on.

Does this description ring any bells with anyone? I'd really like to introduce a group of friends to it.

Thank you, if for nothing other than taking the time to read this,
~Legion98532
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Randall
msg tools
You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman! It is indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That games sounds horrible and I really question your taste... or lack thereof.

(Am I playing it right? Here's hoping you don't have a defense or a good retort.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.