Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it looks like all of my completely original game ideas that were queued up for production by Adiken are now mine again. (Don't ask about the Nin-Gonost Campaign or Battles books, those are still not mine).

For a while this stuff (like OtherWars and Tai Chi), was contested, but now its definitely mine.

Anyway, I'm probably going to produce some of these myself since the work is mostly already done, in a slightly higher quality than Cheapass type games.

So,

If there were a game, packaged probably in an envelope or similar cheesy packaging, and the contents included:

8 5.5"x3" cards
7 2"x3" cards
2 5.5"x1" strips
Rules

(BTW that's the contents of a single OtherWars character now for any of you people who were involved in beta tests before I had to stop)

All full color, light stock, thicker than an index card type stuff. In this case, two 'sets' are required to play the game.

What price would be reasonable and fair for retail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea if I should be responding to this, as I have no experience selling games, but I guess if the game looked good, and I had read good reviews of it, I would pay $10.99 Canadian for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
I have no idea if I should be responding to this, as I have no experience selling games, but I guess if the game looked good, and I had read good reviews of it, I would pay $10.99 Canadian for it.

That is exactly the type of response I want. Just what you estimate a fair price would be.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
Fun or Bust!
badge
Owns one of the good FLGSs :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
If each packet is one player character and 2 packets minimum are needed to play the game and it's on a "higher quality than cheapass games" model I would think $5 - $6 per packet making an $10 - &12 two player game reasonable. It would also be cheap enough to get multiple characters and give some variety right off the bat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm.

Corrolary question:

Would you be more likely to buy if it came as two player packs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my thoughts:

I would come up with a price based on cost of production, time, and desired return.

Then compare this to other similar products. If it's in the ballpark, you're probably ok. If it's way better than similarly priced products, you may be able to get more. If you can get more of something else for the same price, you may have to settle for less.

The reason most prices are based on cost of production is because that's a great way to determine the value to customers based on similar products.

Remember to keep the retail channel in mind when setting an MSRP. Cheapass makes inexpensive games, but there's still enough margin to allow them to use distributors to sell their products to retailers.

As for player packs, I would probably sell a 2-player pack with just 2 of the characters in it (let's say CH1 and CH2). Then sell CH1-8 separately. You should avoid selling overlapping packs (say CH1 and CH2 in a pack, CH2 and CH3 in a pack, someone buys 2 packs and only gets 3 different characters).

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Orr
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
I hunger!!!
badge
Galactus wants to know if you have been Naughty or Nice
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Hmmm.

Corrolary question:

Would you be more likely to buy if it came as two player packs?

I'd guesstimate paying $8-15 for what you describe. As for 2 player packs, I think having a 2 player starter seems like a good way to begin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
I would rather have a 2-player set. It wouldn't happen to me, because I tend to browse stores endlessly, but I can imagine someone picking up, thinking, "Hmm...maybe I'll take this home and play it with my son." Then he/she gets home and realizes they need another deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pottage
United Kingdom
Nr Wakefield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mb
Do we care that much about price? I'm not going to buy your game until I see descriptions of it and some objective reviews. If they're good then I'll pay a lot for it, if they're bad you won't be able to give me a copy for free.
I wish you good luck, but concentrate on making the game great, then your financal problems will solve themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
Fun or Bust!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A 2 player starter would be good. then either the rest of the characters as single packs or just a bunch of 2 player packs with no overlap. If the game is interesting to myself and my wife then we would buy it either way. Maybe make the intial 2 player pack just a tad cheaper than 2 single character packs. you know, like crack dealers :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
keithpottage wrote:
Do we care that much about price?

I've been in retail, wholesale, distribution and manufacture.

The answer, on the whole, is undoubtedly a yes so large that the BGG font set cannot support it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
Fun or Bust!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keithpottage wrote:
Do we care that much about price?

Absolutely. Nin-gonost (another project Paul was involved in) was a game I was VERY interested in but it was just too expensive for me. I'm not saying it wasn't worth it's pricetag at all. I truly believe it was. BUT, I couldn't make myself pull the trigger for that price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would pay around $6.00 for a single deck (though I'd need to see the cards first - the packaging I don't so much care about), and for a 2-deck set around $12.00. At that price I wouldn't care wether you sold them in single deck or 2 deck sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffk wrote:
deck

Technically, they aren't decks... There's no shuffling, no luck, no hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul, it should be sold "ready to be played", otherwise, the impression is that you are not buying a game, but game parts.

A 2 player set should cost no more than 10$, but like Tom (from Boards and Bits) said, you should evaluate your production cost. If I calculate correctly, you need to print the equivalent of 4 pages per characters plus the rules. Your total cost of printing it should be very low, especially, if you can build it yourself, or you can leave the cutting to the buyer, but this would turn off a few people.

Wouldn't it be better to put all characters in the package?

Meanwhile, I want to know, I'm curious about it! If it's adhequately priced, I'm buying one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I second everything Tom said.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robot Martini is another publisher currently operating on the Cheapass principal and generally focusing on card games. Have a look at their prices and maybe chat them up to see how it's been working out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lyon
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
For a 2 player set, I'd be likely to buy at $10 and might buy as high as $15 but it would be far less likely.

I'd suggest that you would eventually want to sell individual packets if the game caught on, but to start would be better served with 2-player packets only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto what Justin said. Only the highly unlikely would be a definite no for me at $15. I think $10 for the the 2 set package is a good price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls