tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Dommett
United Kingdom
Ipswich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that. Your suggestion that typing puts the brain into "precision mode" and that this hampers the creative process is interesting. I think i can relate to that, although I have not managed to come up with a theory to explain it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Goodsell
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how much funding is an issue for a Simmons Games reboot, but I would gleefully chip in $x/post (where 0 < x < 10) for more designer diary entries. The most popular tool for such a thing is Patreon, but there are probably others.

Now, I can think of reasons you might be uncomfortable with that, but I wanted to make sure you are aware of the option and that at least one person would be willing to pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Cat - No Cradle
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hopkins wrote:
Thanks for that. Your suggestion that typing puts the brain into "precision mode" and that this hampers the creative process is interesting. I think i can relate to that, although I have not managed to come up with a theory to explain it!

Others have already.

Jung might be such an example. Or Taoism. Chaos is "feminine/yin" and the mother of invention and creativity. Order is "masculine/yang". This fundamental personal observations helps validate what we all experience as we cycle between unfettered creativity and the discipline of paying the bills. (Both are necessary to complete the whole).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boney may be back? We very much hope so
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cody koeninger
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Sign me up for a Patreon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
More.

http://www.simmonsgames.com/news/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Dommett
United Kingdom
Ipswich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bowen wrote:

Thanks. If you intend to continue to drop links here when you write new posts it would be most convenient!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely agreed; I have both a subscription to NT and a subscription to your posts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hansen
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Goddamn, I needed a bit of good news like this.

So so so glad to hear that Simmons Games may be a part of my future and not just a part of my past. Thanks, Rachel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
GENEVA
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeathMosque wrote:
I needed a bit of good news like this.

Having never gotten a chance to play the original BaM, I find myself thrilled at this bit of news. To say I am excited would not even begin to do justice to my emotions. In the meantime, I look forward to learning more about the new edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
More.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
More.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hahn
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I wish we already had something like that for Napoleon's Triumph! Could a standalone PDF be in the works?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
The light has turned on! Going to make a lot of people very happy with this direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
More.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bowen wrote:
The content includes [...] the regulatory elements (approaches, penalties, etc.)

[...] visually evocative of the period, and I think that it should be, especially given that that sort of evocation is kind of the whole point of the way the game is designed.

Hear hear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob S.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bowen wrote,Design Blog, 25 November 2016:

"This of course begs the question of why the 3rd edition has time-based morale updates at all. However, this entry is already long enough, and so I will leave that question for another day."

I was wondering about that. I came upon your games via Napoleon's Triumph* and so missed out on BaM. Was that a feature of the original design as well? I find that an interesting design element and am curious to hear more about it.

(* A few months ago I realized I had actually encountered your games earlier. I reviewed your Thunder at Leutzen for Berg's Review of Games in issue 103 of Strategy & Tactics magazine. Enjoyed that one too - more in line with the "traditional" hex & counter designs prevelant at the time.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the look and functionality described. I also like that each row of the time track reads left to right now. I always had to stop myself from moving from the far right of row 1 to the far left of row 2 on the old track since they were not more obviously joined.

While I appreciate having all the stats on the board and pieces involved in the battle, I've sometimes thought that having the players remember "subtract 1 for infantry attacks" would allow the map to remove a lot of infantry adjustment symbols and many approaches would have no symbols at all since that is often the only adjustment given. The first point of infantry adjustment seems to be more of an attack penalty than a terrain penalty anyway. The main reason that I've thought about it is that would allow the remaining adjustments to be a bit darker to make them standout without cluttering the map everywhere. Still that symbol removal would be at the cost of having all adjustments right in front of the player so I'm not sure the graphical clean-up is worth the play hit.

edit to reorder thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The legend seems like a good improvement over the first edition, but I find the used font, while stylish, somewhat hard to read. But maybe that is just the image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Seabrook
United States
Saint Paris
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Love the article "Chance and Wargames" on your website.

Will there be an opportunity to pre-order the 2nd (or 3rd) edition of BaM? Maybe start a pre-order list...a "P500" style campaign?

Regardless, thanks for your insights and devotion to the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if this still makes sense, but here is an old update thread...

Simmons Blog Update Subscription Thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Castle
msg tools
bowen wrote:

The new posts are a fascinating insight into the process. Glad to see Simmons Games back up and running.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
More.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Brother" Eicher
United States
Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bowen wrote:

Christmas came early this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.