$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Pax Renaissance» Forums » Rules

Subject: Beheading, Assassination, Repressed Units, and Vassals - What happens? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
My Question:

Under beheading it states clearly that any queen is placed as an old maid under the player's card (with the prestige peeking out if there is one), but I could not find any information in the rules or the glossary about what happens to the repressed units on the card and the vassals. I know that for bishop silencing all the cards are considered one card but for ops they are considered as their own card - but the Queen old maid rule seems to indicate they are considered separate for beheading also.

What I think the answer is:

My gut instinct (since I seem to be overlooking the rule that covers this) is that the repressed units can be placed on the map until it is saturated, then the remaining repressed units are killed since the king card no longer exists. I also suspect that the vassal cards would go back to the empire stack since the King they swore fealty is now dead... but then again, I could be wrong.

An Irrelevant Aside:

I am not a fan of half the rules in the rule sections and half the rules in the glossary so neither gives you a complete picture, I'd much rather see an index rather than a glossary that points you to the right section of rules. Its just too frustrating to read the rules and get an incomplete game unless you flip to the back of the book every page or two, and the glossary doesn't cover all the rules either so when you need to look something up it often isn't there. Additionally, a glossary doesn't always help speed up looking for a rule (such as when you don't remember what the word is called for the thing you are trying to look up). However, minor rules gripe aside, I think this is an excellent game. The person who said "a microbox version of 'Here I Stand'" had it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyrill Melai
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Once I could recite whole episodes of Dexter's Laboratory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Selling can discard King which results everything to be discarded, queens, vassals and tokens. I think it would be nice if the Discard entry was expanded to cover discarding of Kings.

Personally, I dislike the change to beheading to keep Queens in play,because it is now different from selling and also it contradicts what was added to I1. Tableau Ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards discarded by beheading are covered by the Discard definition in the glossary:

DISCARD - Cards (and the Tokens on them) are discarded as a result of selling cards (E3), beheading (F3), trade fairs (G1), or Comet purchase (L1). Remove discarded cards from the game, except return discarded Empires (including Vassals) to the empire stack. Return discarded Tokens and Florins to the reserves.

Here you can see that discarding from beheading is handled the same as selling cards, trade fairs, and comets.

As stated in A1, all rules (in any game) could be classified as sequential (rules introduced in the order you encounter them in a sequence of play) or general (general definitions used throughout the entire ruleset). In this game, I do not have the luxury to repeat definitions in every process that uses them. The word "discard" (and the equivalent word "kill") occurs over 50 times in at least 7 processes. Definitions are more easily found if arranged alphabetically at the end.

In defense of this arrangement, note that even in "Here I stand" if you read only half the rules, you are missing something.

I am taking Kyrill's suggestions and deleting the living rules change removing allowing the Queen to survive and adding Royals to the discard definition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify things relative to this old thread.

According to the current rules (January 15, 2017), a Queen is always discarded when her spouse is Beheaded.

As a result, the only Old Maid Queens are those who are placed initially without any Coronation.

Because these are placed under the players Player Card. As a result, I don't think that there should be any question about there ever being any Tokens on an Old Maid Queen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.