Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'You may remove one cube from your city and one additional cube from your city or from a different city in an adjacent region'

Are the following interpretations correct:

A) when you remove the additional cube from a different city, that city does not need to be adjacent to the current city. So if your current city is Valladilid, you could remove a red cube from there and a yellow cube from way over in Zaragoza.

B) if there are no cubes in your current city, you cannot remove just one from an adjacent city as your action.

thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hatch
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
'You may remove one cube from your city and one additional cube from your city or from a different city in an adjacent region'

A) when you remove the additional cube from a different city, that city does not need to be adjacent to the current city. So if your current city is Valladilid, you could remove a red cube from there and a yellow cube from way over in Zaragoza.

B) if there are no cubes in your current city, you cannot remove just one from an adjacent city as your action.

thank you!

I would interpret the first "may" to mean that removing a cube in your own city is optional... and that therefore you CAN remove just one cube from an adjacent city as your action. (I can see that it might be intended to mean that the entire action is optional, but I find that less likely.) I agree with your interpretation in A.

Not that I have any kind of official information, though. Although I do have a lot of experience reading rulebooks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Leacock
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
debwentworth wrote:

thank you!

Hi Deb

A) Yes, the city doesn't need to be adjacent, but it does need to be in a region that is adjacent to your adjacent city.

B) You may remove just one cube from an adjacent city (even if there isn't one in your current city).

- Matt

UPDATE: 19 Jan 2017

After discussing this with Jesús and comparing the English and Spanish rules, we have a new ruling on the Rural Doctor:

The Rural Doctor may *not* remove a cube from a city in an adjacent region if he does not first remove a cube from his current city.

I've updated this in the new FAQ as well, available here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24817847#24817847

(I believe this is the only ruling that we've changed on BGG for this game.)

Thanks everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much! Fun game, Matt.

I added A because, while the card clearly says adjacent region, all 4 groups I've played it with so far played it as a 'long arm' for an adjacent city. Easy rule to overlook, I think.

For B, my groups interpreted it differently, one insisting that the AND meant you had to do both to use the special ability. The correct interpretation really increases the doctor's power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ka sT
msg tools
Thanks to Matt for the clarification. That is really helpful.

By the way, how does the ability of the Rural Doctor work when using the special ability of Typhus (red cubes)?

How many actions does it take to remove, e.g., a yellow cube in my city and one of two red cubes from an adjacent red city? I would assume, it is two actions but it is unfortunately not clear from the rules alone.

If my above assumption is correct, could I use two actions to remove two yellow cubes from my city and a single one of the two red cubes in the adjacent red city? I assume, this is not possible as I only use the "treat desease" action once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Leacock
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Please see above; we've just changed the ruling for this (and only this) during the development of the Pandemic Iberia FAQ.

Full FAQ is here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24817847#24817847

It also explains the interaction between the Rural Doctor and Typhus.

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for coming back to clarify, Matt! Enjoying the game very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.