Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game of Pandemic the Cure this evening. We had a great time, but it couldn't have gone much worse. We lost without curing even one disease!! cry

It was a 3P game:
Rich - Researcher (can give samples to any player at any time in any region)
Jessica - Generalist (7 dice and ignore the 1st bio-hazard)
Jenny - Medic (very good at treating disease)

We started out fine. As the researcher, I was picking up a lot of samples. Very quickly we had 5 yellow samples in the hands of the medic. The dice were cursed for us this evening. She rolled the five yellow dice 3 turns in a row and was never able to cure the disease! shake

Because we were so sure she would cure yellow, we started collecting black samples and unfortunately the medic had 5 yellow samples and 4 black samples. Since she can only try for one cure a turn, it didn't work out well for us! Obviously a mistake to have the same player to collect samples of both colors, but we were so sure she was going to cure yellow we didn't worry about it.

Another downside of not curing diseases is that your dice are tied up for too long. So we died with 9 dice tied up in samples and zero cured diseases. Here's a photo of the final position....note the 8th breakout was Red disease in south america (6).

We love dice, even when they turn on us like they did tonight. After this one experience, I prefer The Cure to regular Pandemic. It much easier to explain than the full game and a little more intuitive for us. The game is recommended if you like simple dice games.

Note: the one confusing rule (although there is a great post clarifying it on BGG) is that the rule book says when you collect a sample you lock up a die until you give samples to another player. It should have added: when you give samples, your die is still locked up, but on another player's card, until the disease is cured.

Edit: We played the next night as well. We had randomly selected "contingency planner" we had SO MANY dice in the CDC it was hilarious. We considered using the cards, not for the benefit, but just so we could move dice from the CDC back to the bag! We had the reshuffle the deck 3 of 4 times we were using so many cards. We won with 4 outbreaks left....easy win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bristol
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TIL I've been playing this game wrong. We have always just given the infection dice when giving samples but I looked at the rule book again and you're right. The other thing is that in the rules it says your player dice stay locked on your card until you either share with another player or try to find a cure. They really could have written that section better because it reads like whether or not you are successful, simply rolling for a cure frees up the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James David Romo
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mb91 wrote:
TIL I've been playing this game wrong. We have always just given the infection dice when giving samples but I looked at the rule book again and you're right. The other thing is that in the rules it says your player dice stay locked on your card until you either share with another player or try to find a cure. They really could have written that section better because it reads like whether or not you are successful, simply rolling for a cure frees up the dice.

How easy is the game if samples dont lock up one of you die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome review! I always appreciate a good streamlining in boardgames. The way they did it with the dice is quite brilliant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.