Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just play a 2 player game where no one wanted the six cards up for purchase.we just kept buying Explore cards and mercs. As a result there was almost no dragon attacks. The Explore deck was emptied and only 7 cards where bought from the main deck. Are we missing a rule here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

But it most likely means that you are undervaluing several cards, or are too afraid to take clank. What was in the market?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scepter of the ape lord, Crystal Golem, Archaeologists (x2), Cave Troll, & I think Gem Collector. All the good treasures were on the left side so no one went near the Monkey Idols to make the Archaeologists interesting.

Seems like there either needs to be a rule where if no one's buys a card in a round, one or more cards get replaced. This was actually the first game played where only one player, me, was able to get rid of any stumble and that was only one. So at the end I was getting close to clank death just with what little went in once the other player got out and started the countdown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of those should have been bought, except MAYBE the Archaeologists. Granted there is a chance that the game could get to a situation where the market sucks. But this is really a rarity. And implementing a rule to refresh the market would unbalance the player controlled aspect of Dragon attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay let me play devils advocate for a second. Why would you ever want to buy Scepter of the Ape Lord? You get 3 skill, but toward the late game no one wants to buy anything that doesn't have either boots or victory points.

I guess I'm missing something important here but mine and everyone's strategy seems to center around mitigating clank, no one wants cards that add it. Especially cards that add it every time you play them. Also, unless you have very little clank in the bag and others have a lot, you don't really want to buy cards and risk a dragon attack.

Don't get me wrong here I'm not scared to death of the dragon, it's just the risks verses rewards just don't seem high enough. I think my group are true thieves, everyone wants to sneak and the game makes it hard to beat that. Really the two tattle cards are about the only way. If clank is not in the bag you can't draw it, & you can't attack the other players, the game kinda screams "clank makes you vulnerable, don't do clank!" Does that make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you don't want to engage in the push your luck aspect of the push your luck game? Sounds fun.

You can win this game with those cards while everyone else is durdling around, taking their time, and being pansies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jugger Naut
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday, in our first play, we got a similar situation... there were 6 cards that none of us wanted to buy (or could buy due to the price), so I´m thinkig about a small house rule that might help...

shadowsclassic wrote:
Seems like there either needs to be a rule where if no one's buys a card in a round, one or more cards get replaced.
At first I ws thinking about this possibility, but then the first player would alway have a higer advantage because he will be able to choose from the new fresh cards....

So I was thinking that, a good "house rule" might be to allow you to pay the skill needed to buy a card but instead of placing in it your discard pile, use it straight away and discard it afterwards (as if it was a Device). This way you can choose to maybe get some gold only once or destroy that card that might be useful for your opponent, without having to add it to your hand (and with a deck that has not so many cards to destroy cards from your hand, but so many chances to add some new ones, this does not seem very bad idea)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ice Man
United States
Oak Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Couldn't that create an issue where someone buys from the lineup specifically to get the desired card effect right now and not wait for their deck to cycle?
"I'll 'burn' this card for a boot and a two swords, which is just what I need to get me thru this tough hall this turn."

Having played as other deckbuilders with lineups like this one (such as Marvel Legendary), sometimes you just have to buy Something in order to get to the good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Wright
United Kingdom
Modbury
Devon
flag msg tools
www.devondice.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time I saw the Dungeon row not change, is when there was lots monsters and one or 2 high valve cards, no one had any sword cards or enough skill to get the high cards. so it sat still for a while until we had enough valve of swords or skill to move the game on.

It happens some times.

But not to buy from the row because you don't want to clank! Is pointless. so a card say you need a money Idol, buy it and make your way to the room with moneys and make it worth while. together that's 6 VP.
there are lots of cards that say you need something esle for it to be better.

Scepter of the ape lord is a bit pants early game but you off set some clank you make with other cards that let you reduce your clanking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.