Subject: Enjoy aspects of ccg ..but point system is too punishing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Got a jabba and Vader..... can't play them because don't have 2 jabba dice. 3 points loses you an ENTIRE DICE with no benefit.

Got Rey and Han... can't play it... because 4 points gets me nothing and shorts me an ENTIRE DIE.

ITS REALLY MESSSED UP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Enjoy aspects of cog ..but point system is too punishing
Trade. Or buy more.
Welcome to CCGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Tucker
msg tools
Re: Enjoy aspects of cog ..but point system is too punishing
I agree with you to an extent. Before the rules were fully known I thought there'd be some mechanic in the game whereby falling below the point cap would give you some advantage (like initiative bidding in X-wing). Maybe extra resources, or extra points to your opening roll to determine who chooses the battlefield.

However, there are also advantages to this. Getting doubles means having a use for that second pull, rather than just putting it straight on the secondary market.

Also you can absolutely play Rey/Han and Jabba/Vader. Less efficiency =/= unplayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's unplayable. It's just ao bad. An entire dice is huge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
galathonredd wrote:
Trade. Or buy more.
Welcome to CCGs.

Also here's the issue.

If you don't have multiple races in another ccg...your deck is less consistent yes//...but the card still works fine.

In the scenarios described above the actual card is HALF as effective in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Molleda Garcia
Spain
Carbajal de la Legua
Leon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use a regular die, you have the result table on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Don't forget you can proxy anything you want when playing with your friends. You only need the spend the big bucks for tournament play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be clever with deck building! As much as I'd love to run both Elite Jabba and Elite Jango, I only pulled one of each so I'm filling out the points with a Stormtrooper and seeing what red cards can make stuff interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Tucker
msg tools
tierdal wrote:

I have to disagree with you there. You're only measuring efficiency by die results, without factoring in other stats like health/ability, and without accounting for the benefit which bringing another color (or faction) to the game. If the difference between Elite and Regular Luke was half the health, no Special ability, then I think you'd have a more valid complaint. As it is, one die, depending on character, doesn't necessarily make a big difference, as in most cases an extra action will need to be used to spend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JimTucker wrote:
tierdal wrote:

I have to disagree with you there. You're only measuring efficiency by die results, without factoring in other stats like health/ability, and without accounting for the benefit which bringing another color (or faction) to the game. If the difference between Elite and Regular Luke was half the health, no Special ability, then I think you'd have a more valid complaint. As it is, one die, depending on character, doesn't necessarily make a big difference, as in most cases an extra action will need to be used to spend it.

This is fair. Maybe not half. But it feels like it severly limits you. It's very frustrating to not be able to roll two dice because you lack 2 pits

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
having played the prerelease, it didnt feel like the points matter that much.
if you look at it, rey/fin are 25 points while kylo/stormtrooper is only 20, but still both sides felt having equal chances to win.
the cards in your deck also matter a lot for comparing relative strengths.

given the randomness of the dice, luck on the dice rolls is more important than an extra die.
there were a few situations where i had 2/3 less dice than my opponent but still was competitive and games were tense.

given the number of dice you can get from upgrades, having one more character die isnt that game-changing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this: Roll the die, proxy it with a marker and roll it again. Make believe you have 2.

3 points is... about right. It's a wee stronger toward the start of the game, but by the end, it really isn't much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy more boosters and find different combos, you dont have to have 2 dice just because its a major character. I bought rey starter pack and two booster packs.

One booster came with a rebel trooper. By dropping one rey dice I added the rebel trooper for exactly 30. Ok rey does not have 2 dice but I now have 27 total health across 3 characters AND another 3 upgrades slots I can fill each with another dice. So 27 health across 3 targets, possible 12 dice total.
If I had bought another rey starter just to get 2nd finn dice (yeah right, no way fantasy flight) I would have 20 health across 2 targets with possible 10 dice total.

Seems like a pretty good system if you buy enough / get lucky with boosters to give varied options. As the other post said welcome to collectable games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
koraldon
Israel
holon
flag msg tools
mbmb
tierdal wrote:
Got a jabba and Vader..... can't play them because don't have 2 jabba dice. 3 points loses you an ENTIRE DICE with no benefit.

Got Rey and Han... can't play it... because 4 points gets me nothing and shorts me an ENTIRE DIE.

ITS REALLY MESSSED UP.

Best modern collectible game I encountered: Dice Masters.
Evades all the need/wasted money for multiple copies, you need only a single copy of a card and than dice, which you get multiple copies of easily, as they are the same for all rarities.
Great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reckless Fable
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tierdal wrote:

ITS REALLY MESSSED UP.

I'm a big fan of proxies. There is no reason you can't roll that one die twice and write down the result on a square of paper unless you only play in non-casual environments.

koraldon wrote:
Best modern collectible game I encountered: Dice Masters.
Evades all the need/wasted money for multiple copies, you need only a single copy of a card and than dice, which you get multiple copies of easily, as they are the same for all rarities.
Great.

If only they had a sense of balance. I agree, the game was great but so unbalanced and the huge releases and rapid schedule made me tap out after only a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Kennedy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh tierdal, an entire dice is not nearly as bad as you think. Can you go back to trolling the LCG sites?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Don't underestimate the impact of those 3 or 4 points. The cost and point cap are pretty rough when you're trying to fit in characters. Sure, if the only thing you want to run are two elites, it can be painful... But those points can be used for a full extra character.

The option to run single-die characters is there for a reason, and it's not just making you hunt for more legendaries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.