Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ArcNeo Masato
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, don't have a lot of local people I can ask random questions to, so I ask you guys. Anyway, I'm wondering about how you figure the converted mana cost of a split card in terms of using it in a Tiny Leaders deck. Do I count each half of the card as it's own CMC, or do I have to count both of them as one? (Case and point, I'm building a Athreos TL deck, and the 2 cards I'm wondering about are Night/Day, and Profit/Loss. Both cards have total CMC's higher than the limit of 3, but each half is under the limit)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Back with another question
from http://tinyleaders.blogspot.co.nz/p/comprehensive-rules.html:
Quote:

906.5b Each card must have a converted mana cost of three or less. Cards with {x} in their mana cost count X as zero for this purpose. Split cards are legal only if both of their halves would be legal independently.

so, yes, you could use both of your examples

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcNeo Masato
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spacewolf009 wrote:
from http://tinyleaders.blogspot.co.nz/p/comprehensive-rules.html:
Quote:

906.5b Each card must have a converted mana cost of three or less. Cards with {x} in their mana cost count X as zero for this purpose. Split cards are legal only if both of their halves would be legal independently.

so, yes, you could use both of your examples

Didn't even know about that site. Sorry. Thanks though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question. That seems to be the rule for Tiny Leaders.

But I am pretty sure if you had something that damaged you for its CMC it would do the two added together.

So say Odds/Ends CMC is 2 and 5. For Dark Confidant (damages you equal to CMC) you would take 7 damage. If you used it for Counterbalance (counter spell equal to top cards CMC) it would counter both 2 and 5 cost spells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcNeo Masato
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
Could you edit your post title to represent what you question actually was? This can help people in the future who have the same question.

Better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Further explanation, aka "everything you wanted to know about split cards, but were afraid to ask."
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developm...
Rules start about 1/3 of the way down the page under 7-10 Split.

Split card rules:
http://magiccards.info/rule/708-split-cards.html

Fuse cards rules:
http://magiccards.info/rule/702-keyword-abilities.html#rule-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcNeo Masato
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So...if I'm understanding this right (You'll likely see why I ask now instead of just reading the massive rules), a split card has 2 CMCs by default, but a Fuse card has just one, or is that only referring to if I choose to cast both halves?

(I do apologize for dumb questions, I might be just shy of 25, but I'm also dyslexic, which means sometimes I have a rough time understanding what I'm reading.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcNeoMasato wrote:
only referring to if I choose to cast both halves?

This. Only when the fuse spell is on the stack.

And not a dumb question at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcNeo Masato
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Temelin wrote:

lol Well, when I'm around people who've played the game before, it feels stupid to ask some of what I do. Not cause of how I get reacted to(I still hold Magic and D&D players as the overall best groups I've ever attempted to be part of in terms of noob treatment), but just the fact that I hate asking questions that get simple answers. In the little time I've been really playing Magic, I've learned that things are VERY word specific, and even the punctuation on a card can sometimes effect the way it resolves, and while a lot of the time I can figure it out just by reading over it a few times, some things get just vague enough that... I can see this meaning 3, very different things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After 20+ years of playing and a few years as a judge, there are still situations I need to look up. It's a complex game with a lot of corner cases.
I wouldn't sweat it. If somebody thinks you're dumb for asking a question they're just being a jerk. Nobody knows everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcNeoMasato wrote:
Temelin wrote:

lol Well, when I'm around people who've played the game before, it feels stupid to ask some of what I do. Not cause of how I get reacted to(I still hold Magic and D&D players as the overall best groups I've ever attempted to be part of in terms of noob treatment), but just the fact that I hate asking questions that get simple answers. In the little time I've been really playing Magic, I've learned that things are VERY word specific, and even the punctuation on a card can sometimes effect the way it resolves, and while a lot of the time I can figure it out just by reading over it a few times, some things get just vague enough that... I can see this meaning 3, very different things.

This is exactly right. It is VERY VERY specific for a reason. And whenever a new set comes out they have a whole list with explanations of all the new mechanics. Even high level judges will refrain from making judgment calls on these until the official list comes out because sometimes it could go one way or the other. Thankfully, almost all the time, you can read the card from top to bottom and do exactly what it says and you'll be alright, BUT as you have found that won't always completely help you.

I have been playing for over 20 years and last week a buddy and I had to look up how two cards interacted at the end of a turn. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcNeo Masato
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, dudes. Well, I now have a stack of about 400 cards that are even able TO go into this deck, so I'm gonna go spend a few days trying to narrow it down to about 30. lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.