1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Underwhelmed by first solo play... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike B.
msg tools
Hi guys,

I was excited about this game. I liked lotr lcg but didn't love it because it felt too puzzly. I really like the story focus here but still struggled with my first game - I probably made a lot of mistakes though.

I played solo with Roland. It felt like there is not much to do. I played my gun and then dog early on. Investigated, fought two enemies had to endure some bad mythos things and win halfway before the second act was over.

To me it seemed like the cards don't add much. You equip something and then use it. I hardly got any cards to change my luck for a test with or that do something else but add +1 to a test. It felt like I never had much options and I was at the mercy of the bag... I really liked the story and the choice at the end though...

Again I probably made many mistakes... Are there any playthroughs online? I couldn't find any...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Seams to me you have done some mistakes with enemy engagement and fighting, you should have at least some wounds or sanity loss, although Roland is the best choice for the first scenario since he can steam-through without many problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Likemike wrote:
...and win halfway before the second act was over.

Just to check, you mean 'agenda' not 'act', yes? You can't win until you get to the end of the third act.

Also, one other thing to check is that you're obeying the equip limits. It's easy to forget (especially for allies) and have the Dog and the Beat Cop out at the same time.

It's a shame you didn't enjoy your first game, but do stick with it...it gets better the more you play (and try it with two characters...the interaction between them adds another layer of depth to the game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
I had pretty much the same experience, except I lost my first play of the scenario. It seemed very ho-hum. However, when I read the resolution of the first scenario, I was intrigued:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The resolution stated, that I had run out of the house, that the house was still standing and the Ghoul Priest is still alive.

That really piqued my interest.

I played the first scenario twice after that, with Roland each time, and only won on the last try. Each play was more enjoyable - I knew which cards to look for and played much better. I was still challenged by the treacheries, but I enjoyed these playthrough a lot more.

Finally I played the first scenario with two other players, and that was the most fun I've had with a game in a long time.

For me, even though the first playthrough was a let-down, the game delivers everything I had hoped, at least for the first scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Donghi
Italy
Near Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think solo play, at least with Roland's starter deck, is not the best this game has to give.
I've had the same experience as OP with my first play, but with 2 players it changes a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Purcell
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Master Turtler
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG User: "Hi, I'm underwhelmed by my first play of this game..."

Vocal Minority: "Actually, you're not."

OP, you're right. There is not much to do. Also, the game ships with such meager components it's barely playable with a single core set, the rules are inconsistently presented, the "narrative" it presents is slipshod and mechanical, the interactions with the game design require copious engagement with previous LCGs to even approach. It's barely a game. It's just money exchanging hands. All of which was mildly bemusing on first play, and par for the course with a lot of FFG product.

But there is nothing worse than its fan base. Nothing.

So, I'll go one step further. I have made it my minor mission to destroy this game for anyone who thinks it's fun, out of sheer cussedness. Literally, my blanket statement is this: "if you think you're having fun with this game, you're not. You're living in a funhouse built by your own lack of life experience. You probably love your mother less than I love my mother, and you have an IQ of 80." You can put that in a book. It's just fact, now.

After a few interactions with the community for this game, I want to confiscate everyone's copy and burn them, down to the last box.

TLDR: I hate this game and the people who play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Ok, glad you're having fun with that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody needs a hug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Purcell
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Master Turtler
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
Ok, glad you're having fun with that?

For as long as I'm on this ride, yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dunks
United States
Providence Forge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo with two characters provides more support options, and is much more fun than solo with one.

I played the first scenario with Roland and Wendy, and it was a close game with lots of cinematic feel: Roland was doing a fine job of keeping the ghouls off Wendy, whom they always targeted as the weaker player, while she investigated. Eventually Roland went insane and was taken out of the game. Wendy was down to one health and one sanity when she slew the ghoul priest by drawing the only card in her deck which could have saved her.... but then she lost her last sanity point to to an end-game result! Both will enter scenario two with additional trauma, but a bit better equipped.

I recommend giving the game another chance with two characters. Also, Roland and Wendy are said to be the strongest, so give some other ones a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Purcell
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Master Turtler
mbmbmbmbmb
Steerpike wrote:
Somebody needs a hug

Thanks, buddy. I need one. I was banned for a day for saying the rulebook was bad on Tuesday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the first 4 rounds I felt similar, and then... the game sorta clicked for me, and I found myself really enjoying it. I enjoyed it far more the LoTR LCG (which I really enjoyed). That said, the chaos bag may be a bit too random for me... that said I can shift those probabilities as I see fit if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bowling
msg tools
mb
I tried 2 handed solo with Roland and Wendy and really wasnt a fan. It didnt seem to make things any easier. I got the "best" win for scenario 1 and it was NOT any easier with 2.

Regarding randomness, I have been playing on medium and I personally find it a little too swingy. I am going to try easy for a while and see what happens. If my second core ever arrives from amazon and i can build stronger decks I will go back to medium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
There are game plays with Team Cov from Gencon, as well as someone on the FB group is doing videos. Theres also some from dice tower on here.

I don't expect the game to be very fun solo. Lots of people bought it for that I'm sure, but the real meat of the game comes out when its 2+ players working together. That's when you see a lot of cards being played to help people

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scourn1 wrote:
There are game plays with Team Cov from Gencon, as well as someone on the FB group is doing videos. Theres also some from dice tower on here.

I don't expect the game to be very fun solo. Lots of people bought it for that I'm sure, but the real meat of the game comes out when its 2+ players working together. That's when you see a lot of cards being played to help people

There is a lot of the game that needs two Investigators, but my impression so far is that this is simpler two-handed (i.e. One Player, Two Investigators) than LotRLCG or Eldritch Horror or especially Arkham Horror - it's relatively easy to keep track and to keep it all within arm's reach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GorillaGrody wrote:
Steerpike wrote:
Somebody needs a hug

Thanks, buddy. I need one. I was banned for a day for saying the rulebook was bad on Tuesday.

Assuming you were banned, you were banned for being rude and confrontational. Pretty interesting coming from someone who supposedly was crying about people bullying them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
I don't agree with you about the game, I quite like it, but I do agree with you about some of the community that is developing around this game.

I have seen a lot of non helpful, rude, and bullying people in this forum just because people don't like the game, or because they have a rules question.

It makes me sad because I think the game is quite good. I am just happy I discovered the discord server as the community there is quite amazing.

(Note: I am not saying everyone in the community, some are great here)

I would like to see the bgg Arkham lcg improve for sure.

However, your response here, I am sorry to say, puts you way beyond the worst of what you have received in my opinion.

Responding to bullying by deciding to bully and talk down to an entire community and try scare people away from a game is, well, I don't know quite how to describe it.

So i agree with some of your experience but not your response. Go play something you enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Petersen
United States
Stanwood
WA
flag msg tools
I'm enjoying it so far, having played the first scenario once with Roland.

But, I have gotten a bit tired of LCG"s with playing so much LOTR and since I bought Eldrith Horror at the same time as this game, I'm a lot more excited to get into that game right now.

Will keep this one on the back burner for more content but it's a good game so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tryed to quote but failed but you had 3 points i think

Guess i find it none puzzley as my action are my choice, not a round sequence.like lotr was ., lotr i need to quest defend and fight
AH i can move when i want, fight or evade , draw and resource when i want
there is still a puzzle aspect to it.. 1st play you you often fail.. 2nd you plan to not be in a situation with out a certain card or a certain trigger...

1st mission is quite short.. 2nd was more meaty.. and 3rd is short if you lose the 1st 2...
played though losing each mission .. then play though again with prior knowledge.. then play though with a different character, or 2 characters

hardly got any card that changed you luck?
there are as you mentioned equipped assets.. Roland is defiantly a fighter mostly +1 fight type assets
but then you can use the cards icons.. its painfull when you have discard dynamite for its icon rather use its as its card ability and whatnot.. i like those decisions
also the fast action cards that let you used resources to boost a skill
and then there is the one shot skill cards too..

Rolands basic deck doesn't show much really.. but the options are there
Wendy the other 1st choice basic deck.. was fun in 2 player.. burgling for resources to power hard-knocks.. not played her solo yet..

there are lots of players recording playthoughs on line on youtube but some do make mistakes too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Purcell
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Master Turtler
mbmbmbmbmb
therockfrog wrote:

But, I have gotten a bit tired of LCG"s with playing so much LOTR and since I bought Eldrith Horror at the same time as this game, I'm a lot more excited to get into that game right now.

Will keep this one on the back burner for more content but it's a good game so far.

May every card you pull in this game, and in life, be a Weakness: "Passive aggression." "Hiding behind numbers." "Humorlessness." "Eats Cheetos for dinner."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Purcell
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Master Turtler
mbmbmbmbmb
GFWD wrote:
I don't agree with you about the game, I quite like it, but I do agree with you about some of the community that is developing around this game.

I have seen a lot of non helpful, rude, and bullying people in this forum just because people don't like the game, or because they have a rules question.

It makes me sad because I think the game is quite good. I am just happy I discovered the discord server as the community there is quite amazing.

However, your response here, I am sorry to say, puts you way beyond the worst of what you have received in my opinion.

Responding to bullying by deciding to bully and talk down to an entire community and try scare people away from a game is, well, I don't know quite how to describe it.

So i agree with some of your experience but not your response. Go play something you enjoy.

I'm not scary. But I do get sad when people can't talk openly about the faults of this game without getting dogpiled on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GorillaGrody wrote:
therockfrog wrote:

May every card you pull in this game, and in life, be a Weakness: "Passive aggression." "Hiding behind numbers." "Humorlessness." "Eats Cheetos for dinner."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GorillaGrody wrote:
GFWD wrote:

I'm not scary. But I do get sad when people can't talk openly about the faults of this game without getting dogpiled on.

No, not scary, more aggressive and trollish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
therockfrog wrote:

Eldritch Horror is an excellent game and many (not all) of the Investigators are well suited to One Handed Solo Play. It takes a lot more time and table space, but it is certainly a fine game well worth your attention. I recommend Forsaken Lore as the most cost-effective Expansion for adding replay value (although Core Eldritch certainly has great replay value already with the variety of Investigators and Great Old Ones, some of the decks can quickly feel silly when you start seeing the same cards repeatedly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B.
msg tools
Just to elaborate on my main gripe: the game didn't feel like it gave me meaningful options. I played some cards and didn't feel like I need the other ones. I investigated when no monster was around, I fought when a monster was there - Success or failure was only due to the bag. I usually couldn't do anything to boost my skill, since I didn't have cards with the right symbols or cards that do something useful.

Again, I might have made several mistakes (I know I did some in combat). And maybe I just drew dull cards (didn't look at all the cards in the deck yet) - but so far there were no combos, no hard decisions or real flow to the game.

I guess this is because of me not griping everything - that's why I would really like to watch a playthrough or two. Because what I played was a very shallow game, and I can't believe that's the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.