Thunderbirds» Forums » General

Subject: advice on painting the miniatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Spruce
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I started painting the pod vehicles last night (nod to Cat_O who's post inspired me to do it) and wondered about painting the actual thunderbird machines and character pegs. If you've painted them, did it affect gameplay in anyway? I'm just thinking things like:

Are the painted miniatures going to be durable enough to have character pegs stuck in and out of them many many times? Does the paint get damaged?
If I paint the character pegs - is it going to make it harder to tell that virgil "belongs" to thunderbird 2 (as he's not going to be green anymore) and maybe you lose the subconscious link between TB2, Virgil and a bonus to land (green) disasters?

Here's some photos of the pod vehicles i've painted so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've painted the base vehicles and the characters and a I am very happy with the results. Didn't bother with the stickers in the end as they are rubbish. I bought a fine white marker pen to draw the numbers on the TB machines and that worked really well.

Re the Characters, the extra layer of paint on the pegs does make them a tighter fit, but pretty soon the paint rubs off the pegs and all is fine. I painted the sashes of the pilots to match their machine colours. I would say it is better as I found the yellow of TB4 and Orange of TB3 to be too similar in play, so my TB3 is a bit redder than the base plastic.

It's only time that has stopped me on the base vehicles. LadyP's plane and boat first then the Hood.

Geek mail and I will send pictures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although fiddly, I think painted minis add a lot to the immersion in the game. It's easy to match the character to the vehicle by painting the sash the same colour as the vehicle. Excuse my poor painting of detail!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love your TB1 flying base!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yayz — Glad you started painting!

I've been working on other projects, but need to get back to the other TB vehicles at some point. I definitely want to paint my main vehicles, primarily so I can paint the numbers while I'm at it so they will stand out— that will be a big help to players who are unfamiliar with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Spruce
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2SEWt4jihI

I finished the Pod vehicles - very enjoyable to see them come to life and it really helps you tell them apart in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.