3 Posts

Warparty» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Playing via skype rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Mulder
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Today I played warparty via skype - a group of my friends had scheduled a game for the weekend and unfortunately one player pulled out. I moved quite far away from them at the start of the year so I wasn't able to be there in person, but we decided to try out a video call so that the game could go ahead.

I ended up playing as the undead. Lindsay who was playing as the dwarves was making my movements for me. It took us a little while to get our orientations correct "Okay I want you to move my skeletons from the city at the top down one.. no not that city, the one near you! yes that one!" But we got the hang of it after a while.

I also couldn't see the entire game board at once, but i had a nice view of my corner, and the humans and dwarves were putting heavy pressure on me from both sides which kept me on the defensive, and all the action in my field of view.

It seemed like Good was winning for the start, as they took had a lot more control of the map, they were the ones ready to start doing dungeons while myself and the goblins had no chance of grouping up and doing anything like that, - having not played undead very much before I forgot that I needed to tower of dark ritual to give Fraculon teleport so he was a lot less mobile than I would have liked.

Good made a small blunder with their first dungeon though. Moving into the Haunted ruins with no way of negating the forest movement penalty. Meanwhile I had a large army 2 spaces away that would be able to get to them before they could escape or support it with their nearby army.

As you can see from the picture, with me moving first, I can go southeast, and then if they don't move their army to come to the aid of their heroes, I can just pick them off, however if they do attempt to come to the aid of their heroes I could just attack their army directly without their heroes supporting. Either way it would have been a ver ynice victory for me! Unfortunately the heros were extremely lucky, and managed to get an orb of relocation for completing the dungeon, which allowed their wizard to cast teleport army once which would negate the rough terrain penalty.

Things looked very grim for us at this point, my friends playing the dwarves and humans were very happy with themselves and asking us to concede.. but I don't give up that easily. The tides turned the next turn when the teleport army spell was used to send the Good heroes into a battle where they felt like they had the upper hand, myself and the goblins were debating whether or not we should retreat as we felt very outmatched too, however it didn't quite turn out that way.

The forces of evil had 4 archers, 3 goblins and a priest with mark of passing and fear. The forces of good had a knight, two warriors, the human warrior and priest heroes, and the dwarven wizard papoomio. So a 6 vs 8 battle, where the 6 had much more expensive units, a true battle of quality vs quantity.

Round 1 went terribly for the forces of good, only managing to kill 1 goblin, meanwhile evil used mark of passing on cedron, managed to take cedron down to 1 hp, cedron was healed, then they took cedron down to 1 hp again.

In round 2 I believe another goblin was killed, but evil managed to take out cedron properly this time, attempted to fear the knight - however the knight defended against the fear, then the knight was killed.

So now the fight was 2 warriors a wizard and a preist vs 4 archers a goblin and a preist. Evil only lost 1 more goblin and an archer while wiping out the entire army of good. This levelled up the goblin preist to level 2, almsot level 3, and he took the raise dead spell which allowed him to bring back the 3 goblins that died in that battle, leaving a net loss of 1 archer for 3 heroes a knight and 2 warriors.

It wasn't over yet though because I still had two large armies bearing down on my tombs.

In the north I got very lucky with my aura of fear splitting the dwarven army entirely in half! And with my heroes and shade having 2 movement I was able to have them come to the aid of my tomb along with the archers and ghoul mangler I had waiting next door, making up quite a formidable force. Shreadmar didn't survive the fight, but he was the only casualty. Shreadmars ability to reroll on a 6 or a 1 was quite amusing this battle as he got to use it quite a few times.. unfortunately all of those rolls were 6's rather than 1's.

Meanwhile in the south I thought that I was safe to leave my main army 2 spaces from my tomb as the main human army were also 2 spaces away, however the human army had two knights which charged in first, and neither of them were affected by the aura of fear.

After consulting my simulator: https://muldeh.github.io/

I saw that my 2 archers and skeleton had about a 36% chance of liberating the tomb, so I went for it, using my guide fate to gain an extra hit on one of the knights. However the knights triumphed without taking any losses, and I was unable to prevent my tomb from being burned.

It was at this point that we called it a game and packed up as we ran out of time. We hadn't been counting turns though it was possible that the Good would have won a marginal victory thanks to that tomb burning if we had been, but otherwise Evil were in good shape it just would have taken a very long time to finish. I can't wait for our next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to play this..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Bogucki
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick bit of tactical advice... Fear the Knight first before using Mark of Passing on the Hero. I know it worked, but I think Fearing the Knight first is a higher percentage play. You remove a very strong unit from the battle, where is the Warrior Hero doesn't hit quite as hard, but is harder to kill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.