Subject: Who is this game for? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Wolfe
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to figure out who games workshop is trying to sell this too.

If i want a highly rated dungeon crawler with a good reputation I can get Descent 2nd edition.

In Canada this sells for 180 Canadian on their website. Descent sells for 80-90 CAD on the board-game websites I use.

Descent has a ridiculous amount of expansion encase you ever want more.

Can't think of any reason to buy other then having extra miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aris da
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silver tower is better looking than descent,the miniatures are seriously out of this world games workshop is second to none in that aspect.Descent on the other hand has a lot more content (if you are willing to pay for expansions) and has you become more involved in it so gameplay -wise i would prefer descent.It all comes down to your preferences do you want a great looking game with interesting mechanics (silver tower) or do you have the appropriate party and the purse to purchase the dozens expansions of descent and get loads of fun with a good (not great) looking game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
silver tower plays co-op, descent does not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forsetius
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
With the RTL app, Descent IS fully coop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I thought you asked the target of this game, I didn't think this was going to be a competition.

ST out of the box pits four players in co-op scenarios that have a level of interaction that descent adventures (not campaign) has not, and it's fully co-op.

it features real miniatures and not pvc casts.
this is the comparison you were apparently asking for, and I am an avid descent player since first edition.

actually, I am an avid dungeon crawler player since the genre existed, a period that I place around first hero quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
... and um, that came a bit harsher than needed: I just wanted to say that the target is different than descent, because, at least at the moment, descent offers either a competitive single adventure or a competitive campaign, and that's the game strength (you can tweak it to be co-op, but you can also add the settlement rules of the old whq to st, it's simply not like that out of the box).

we live in a world where, between whq and descent, it's the latter to be considered the one with a tradition (again, big fan of both, just passionate in distinguishing)... the world has come to an end
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Silver Tower and I don't have an interest in Descent. Silver Tower has you going through a dungeon using really fun mechanics and it's not a "race" game the way I've heard Descent is. The production is also stunning and very high quality, not only the miniatures but also the tiles. For me, a really fun dungeon crawl with rules that are easy to learn that still has quite a lot going on, and it's really easy to teach. I think the market for this game is partially others who feel the same way I do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody wants to play Descent in my local groups because every campaign is basically more of the same.

The variety from the expansions isn't adding depth to game play.

Plus the Race Game aspect turns of people that like to explore and level up in classic dungeon style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Cather
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Descent is a game I badly want to play, but probably never will because I have no interest in a competitive dungeon crawl. That just sounds like torture to me. I want to explore, to level up, to find new stuff, and just have fun. Silver Tower looks like it will do exactly that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, because I'm interested in Silver Tower, I just watched an unboxing video, and I think I have room for this in my collection.
I found it rather funny though that the guy making the video basically said the higher price point of ST compared to games like Descent was ok because you get to assemble the minis yourself. Hmmmm....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
The Boilerman wrote:
So, because I'm interested in Silver Tower, I just watched an unboxing video, and I think I have room for this in my collection.
I found it rather funny though that the guy making the video basically said the higher price point of ST compared to games like Descent was ok because you get to assemble the minis yourself. Hmmmm....

He may have meant the miniatures are better quality (they are), but then again some people really enjoy building miniatures and see the assembly as bonus fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forsetius
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
and I think I have room for this in my collection.

With the foam from Feldherr, you will have room ;-)

https://www.feldherr.net/value-set-for-warhammer-quest-silve...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Eater
msg tools
It's specifically for me! cool
Seriously. I've been aware of the Warhammer universe since the 1980s and thought it looked cool and interesting, but I never had the money to get involved with it. I also never knew anyone who was into it. Now decades later GW is putting out boxed games with collections of minis in them and that is something I could get into. Also, I am a fan of dungeon crawlers and Silver Tower is now my favorite. Easy, streamlined rules, yet just complicated enough to keep it interesting. And a visual look to the game that is totally original and unique. Also, the fact that ST is not just: find room, fight monsters. You can have encounters that don't involve fighting, which is much more in the spirit of an rpg than other dungeon crawlers.
Which leads me to my second point. I am a total convert on the GW board games. As a board gamer, I love how the GW boxed games are simple, yet have interesting choices to make. Gorechosen is a perfect example. Its practically a filler game, yet every round has interesting choices to make. Same with Execution Squad. Its more than a filler, but its deceptively simple. To compare it to another game in my collection, Galaxy Defenders, it has similar game play, yet takes a fraction of the time to set up and break down. I can play a GW game in a single night after work, which I can't really say for a lot of the games in my collection.
I, for one, hope GW keeps putting out these boxed games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wooden Meeple Eater wrote:
It's specifically for me! cool
Seriously. I've been aware of the Warhammer universe since the 1980s and thought it looked cool and interesting, but I never had the money to get involved with it. I also never knew anyone who was into it. Now decades later GW is putting out boxed games with collections of minis in them and that is something I could get into. Also, I am a fan of dungeon crawlers and Silver Tower is now my favorite. Easy, streamlined rules, yet just complicated enough to keep it interesting. And a visual look to the game that is totally original and unique. Also, the fact that ST is not just: find room, fight monsters. You can have encounters that don't involve fighting, which is much more in the spirit of an rpg than other dungeon crawlers.
Which leads me to my second point. I am a total convert on the GW board games. As a board gamer, I love how the GW boxed games are simple, yet have interesting choices to make. Gorechosen is a perfect example. Its practically a filler game, yet every round has interesting choices to make. Same with Execution Squad. Its more than a filler, but its deceptively simple. To compare it to another game in my collection, Galaxy Defenders, it has similar game play, yet takes a fraction of the time to set up and break down. I can play a GW game in a single night after work, which I can't really say for a lot of the games in my collection.
I, for one, hope GW keeps putting out these boxed games.

You would love the new The Horus Heresy: Burning of Prospero then.

The models take some work, but if you did Silver Tower it isn't that bad.

The new Blood Bowl is also really fun with lots of deep tactical play. I love it and I can't stand football!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew mclaughlin
United States
Kingston
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Descent 2 was pretty mediocre-to-bad for me.

Boring gameplay, no suspense (the tiles are laid out to start so there's no exploration), bland world, bland characters.

The game is not inherently co-op, so the co-op mechanic is weak.

I'd even argue that it's more of a miniatures skirmish game than a dungeon crawl.

I bought it based on the rep the first edition built up, tried some expansions, but recently sold it because it was dullsville in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locustofdeath wrote:
Descent 2 was pretty mediocre-to-bad for me.

Boring gameplay, no suspense (the tiles are laid out to start so there's no exploration), bland world, bland characters.

The game is not inherently co-op, so the co-op mechanic is weak.

I'd even argue that it's more of a miniatures skirmish game than a dungeon crawl.

I bought it based on the rep the first edition built up, tried some expansions, but recently sold it because it was dullsville in the long run.

I pretty much agree.

On the recommendation of some friends I bought the campaign hardback because it is supposedly much better than the one in the box. That was more than a year ago.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forsetius
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Have you tried the Road to Legend app? It addresses all the problems you have. It is really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's for miniatures hobbyists who also play boardgames. Very different from boardgamers who want a game out of the box. With GW, painting is part of "the hobby", and GW customers spend more time painting miniatures than playing the game. It's definitely *not* for your miniature-hating BGG'er, especially if they see assembly as a chore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Snider
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
It's for miniatures hobbyists who also play boardgames. Very different from boardgamers who want a game out of the box. With GW, painting is part of "the hobby", and GW customers spend more time painting miniatures than playing the game. It's definitely *not* for your miniature-hating BGG'er, especially if they see assembly as a chore.

To be fair though assembly ISN'T very hard, so if someone is interested in the game I don't think they should be intimidated by the models. The figures are well made and the assembly instructions are excellent. A novice could probably finish in a few hours tops (likely less). They aren't push-fit though so glue is a must. And proper cutters to get the pieces off the sprue. It's really just like putting a puzzle together. And the models do look great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.