Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

A Feast for Odin» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Please help me understand occupation cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
N. P. P.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The occupation cards are a part of the game that slightly irritates me as I find them mostly useless. They are extremely situational, and I feel the bonuses they provide are too small to go out of your way to maximize their use.

In fact, in most of my (solely solo) games so far I haven't bothered playing any of the cards as I don't think they are worth it to spend a dedicated action on them, and I rarely use the four-worker-spots that allow to play them for free.

But then I am apparently not very good at this game; in my 26 plays so far I've only been able to breach 100 points four times, my highest score being 123, which I think is respectable, but a far cry from the 150+ points other people are reporting. My average score is somewhere in the 80s. So I think I am missing something.

Does anybody care to make a case for the cards?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilborson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the cards, they make every game different. They might seem like small bonuses but I usually play 4 or 5 and those points really add up.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Try a couple of the challenges in the solo challenge thread for a variety of occupations. You may only need a few each game, but their points and effects definitely add up.

Plus, some of the 4-Viking spaces are quite efficient as far as I can tell, when you maximize the effect and combine it with a card.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
Try a couple of the challenges in the solo challenge thread for a variety of occupations. You may only need a few each game, but their points and effects definitely add up.

Plus, some of the 4-Viking spaces are quite efficient as far as I can tell, when you maximize the effect and combine it with a card.


No he's not, re-read the OP...

I think the occupations are indeed a bit hit or miss, but usually I do end up playing 3-5 of them in a game. I do regularly use 4 viking actions though, it's a bit weird to me that you rarely do.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stormparkiet wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
Try a couple of the challenges in the solo challenge thread for a variety of occupations. You may only need a few each game, but their points and effects definitely add up.

Plus, some of the 4-Viking spaces are quite efficient as far as I can tell, when you maximize the effect and combine it with a card.


No he's not, re-read the OP...

I think the occupations are indeed a bit hit or miss, but usually I do end up playing 3-5 of them in a game. I do regularly use 4 viking actions though, it's a bit weird to me that you rarely do.

What do you mean, "No he's not"? I can't find anything in my post that would apply to.
4 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Wood
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume he has quoted the wrong post and is replying to the post above yours about the op supposedly missing that you can play an occ for free with the 4 Viking actions.

The op specifically mentions he is aware this is possible.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Woodenman wrote:
I assume he has quoted the wrong post and is replying to the post above yours about the op supposedly missing that you can play an occ for free with the 4 Viking actions.

The op specifically mentions he is aware this is possible.


That would be correctly assumed, apologies for the misquote GAF. Funnily enough, the post I was replying to has been deleted in the meantime so now I look like a total fool. Ah well, not the first time and won't be the last either :-)
6 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
Avatar
GAFBlizzard wrote:
Plus, some of the 4-Viking spaces are quite efficient as far as I can tell, when you maximize the effect and combine it with a card.

The "build a boat and a house" space is maybe the one that makes it most obvious that the occupation play is a free add-on; either combination of boat and house separately would have taken five vikings for (IIRC) the same resource cost.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Proud writer for iSlayTheDragon
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Chrondeath wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
Plus, some of the 4-Viking spaces are quite efficient as far as I can tell, when you maximize the effect and combine it with a card.

The "build a boat and a house" space is maybe the one that makes it most obvious that the occupation play is a free add-on; either combination of boat and house separately would have taken five vikings for (IIRC) the same resource cost.


The 3 and 4 actions spots can often be viewed as combinations of the 1 and 2 actions (or slightly better), the added card draw/play makes them slightly better if you want to specialize to that degree. The main tension comes in multiplayer where using the card-efficient 3 and 4 viking spots means you will be out of the round sooner and less likely to be start player. In solo this doesn't really come into play and the 4-viking actions can be extremely beneficial to use when you have cards worth playing and don't need to diversify your actions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zach larue
msg tools
Skippy668 wrote:


Does anybody care to make a case for the cards?


I too felt the occupation cards were mostly useless but I gave them a shot after a few solo games and they really made a difference. They offer bonuses for going a certain route and are actually pretty fun. When you get your starting occupation think about how you can leverage that advantage as much as possible. I try to get the starting occupation in play as soon as possible.

Of the starting occupations Refugee Helper and Proficient Hunter are my favorites.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrondeath wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
Plus, some of the 4-Viking spaces are quite efficient as far as I can tell, when you maximize the effect and combine it with a card.

The "build a boat and a house" space is maybe the one that makes it most obvious that the occupation play is a free add-on; either combination of boat and house separately would have taken five vikings for (IIRC) the same resource cost.


Likewise, "Take 4 resources from a mountain strip and two double upgrades" could be done with 2 Vikings (3 resources+1 upgrade), 1 Viking (1 resource+1 upgrade), and 1 viking (2 upgrades), but the 4-Viking action lets you play an occupation, and ensures that you will get all four resources if you want them (for example, if the last one is 2 silver and someone else might take it).

And "3 silver for a cow and a sheep" is almost identical to the two 2-Viking actions, which total 4 silver for a cow, a sheep, and a milk; alternatively, with five Vikings, you could get a cow and a sheep for 2 silver.

For all three of these, the 4-Viking action is better than the individual actions, but only if you want everything it gives. Spending two stone and an extra Viking to build a stone house with your longship is only a good deal if you have some use for a stone house which is better than saving the stone for raids.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.