Subject: 'Fight' asset + non-trigger 'Fight' event, etc. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
I recorded a playthrough this morning with Roland and Wendy and, before uploading, I'm doing my usual check to make sure I haven't made any catastrophic rule errors.

I had a situation that, in hindsight, I'm questioning hard. I feel like I *should* 100% know the answer to this problem however, as I've done my damndest to try and internalise the rules. I'm pretty certain I played it wrong by overlooking a very basic and fundamental rule regarding actions --

As Wendy, I attacked an enemy using Baseball Bat.

The ACTION I am spending is represented by the arrow symbol ('action trigger') on this card. It has 'fight' in bold so I know that I'm able to take this action without suffering Attacks of Opportunity.

I then played Backstab as an event to modify the combat.

As I played it, I then resolved the Baseball Bat's attack using Agility (so no +2 to the check), buffed my Agility by committing Agility skill cards and gave myself +1 damage from Baseball Bat.

This is WRONG, right?

Playing Backstab from my hand is it's own 'play' action and I should not be able to have it enter play in the middle of resolving the Baseball Bat's action, thus I shouldn't have combined them.

For whatever it's worth, I think the lack of a trigger symbol on Backstab is why my brain allowed me to combo it. Which is to say, allowed my brain to misinterpret the rules.

Typing this out, I'm now 99.9% sure I played it wrong. I'll submit it anyway. No shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
That's wrong, yeah. Both establish (or "are") the action (with modifier), not modify an existing one, so you can't combine them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, I knew it. Certainly by the end of typing that out, I'm thinking to myself "idiot, of course this is wrong, what were you thinking?" blush
Kind of a pointless thread really huh. Sorry.

Oh well! In between posting and now, I've already got halfway through the replacement playthrough, as that it is precisely what I would consider 'a catastrophic rule error', ha. No big loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this has me curious, is there a rules significance to the lack of trigger symbol on backstab? Or is this just an inconsistency in the graphic design?

[Edit: as I submit, I realize its because one is an asset in the play area and one is an event played from the hand. Nevermind. More coffee please.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Not snarky, not ironic, I really do mean this) Yay, we're all learning!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made the exact same mistake last night using back stab and an equipped revolver. I blame it on first game jitters, late night and being caught up in how awesome that combo is - which of course it isn't because it's not a combo at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.