Jan
Germany
flag msg tools
Ahoy landlubber!
badge
ARRR!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Neuroshima Hex Fans,
A couple of weeks ago I downloaded the Neuroshima Hex app and I'm hooked on it since then. I wanted to buy the board game and was confused at the beginning with all the versions and expansions.
I was thinking about buying the 2.5 version and made a pro/con list:

Pro 2.5:
- better, clearer design, artwork and iconography
- cheaper (used)

Con 2.5:
- newest armies only in 3.0 design
- 3.0 has newest rules
- print offset on the tiles result in different thickness of the black border

Since I don't have to get all the armies, the first point on con-list is negligible. Are there significant rule changes between 2.5 and 3.0 besides the "redraw if you got 3 action tiles" rule?
And how bad is the offset of the tiles? I just saw some pictures here, maybe just some individual cases?

The artwork of the 2nd edition is the same as in the app, as I understood it. The app just made an army logo in the background of every tile and changed some icons, am I right?

Please feel free to correct me if I wrote something wrong and tell me your opinion. If you have more for the pro/con list, let me know. I'll appreciate it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd put the better artwork in under the 3.0 heading. I find the icons have a clearer call-out in 3.0 too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Germany
flag msg tools
Ahoy landlubber!
badge
ARRR!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesse Custer wrote:
I'd put the better artwork in under the 3.0 heading. I find the icons have a clearer call-out in 3.0 too.

(Pictures for direct and better comparison)

The new tiles just seem a bit overloaded to me. And I dislike the new close combat symbol. Don't know why they have to put this grey cracked line around it. But I know I'm the minority here. Not everything is worse though, yellow shields are better to see and a shield symbol is more intuitive than a plus symbol. The art of the characters is more a matter of taste and not that important for the game I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3.0 any day. And it's only inconvenient if you're used to with previous editions. Now that I've been on 3.0 for over a year, I'd never turn back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, that 2.5 net is hardly visible... remember playing against it once and it was not fun forgetting it was on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aeszett wrote:
Jesse Custer wrote:

[floatleft]
(Pictures for direct and better comparison)

The new tiles just seem a bit overloaded to me.

I feel exactly that but for 2.5 tiles. Maybe you're used to it but when I was taught the game with 2.5, I found all the hard outlines and connectors really busy-looking, my eye didn't know where to focus. With 3.0 the outline around either subtle or gone (they mostly use black instead of a relatively thick off-white) plus the numbers aren't connected to the outside edge of the tile and if there's a jagged something, it's an important ability/characteristic and not just decoration around initiative values.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben W
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
3.0 easily

Plus it's crazy to buy 2.5 as they are still releasing new armies that will only be available in 3.0

Tiles and art also look better in 3.0 IMO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel N
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3.0 has better art and better iconography.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Germany
flag msg tools
Ahoy landlubber!
badge
ARRR!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, thank you very much. I guess I try to play 3.0 before I buy a version and see for myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Psydotek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to remember is that 2.5 and 3.0 are compatible so collect the armies however you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.