Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be dumb, but I'm having a hard time understanding the campaign in this game. There are many parts and concepts mentioned, like novice and apprentice, sewers and crypts, world maps, career paths.

My guess is that the game includes just the caverns, and that your character advances from novice to apprentice by completing the scenarios. That's it, right? This is what I will get if I pledge. Right?

Then the sewers. That's an expansion that might be unlocked via stretch goals. This one also takes characters from novice to apprentice during its scenarios. And that's it, right? Also, is this sewer expansion standalone?

Now for the really confusing part. Skilled and journeyman and world maps and where we want to go? I don't get it. Will there be made more expansions like the sewers that cover those other parts, The Crypts, The Silent Dark or the Brethren Works? Standalone? Will these be part of this KS campaign, or will they come in future campaigns? And is playing through the sewers required to progress through to these other parts?

What about the world map? "At Skilled rank you could for example travel East to Aes Nu..." Can I? When do I get to Skilled rank? Is this part of future expansions? And when I start this travelling, is this following this game system, or are you making a completely new game experience?

The most confusing part for me is, basically, what do I get for my basic pledge, what is part of this KS campaign, and what is part of a lofty future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same confusion and came away with similar conclusions. Caverns to start, Sewers was just added as an official stretch goal (but it just unlocks the ability to purchase it as an add-on) and the rest is a lofty future. But it would be nice to see an official confirmation of this speculation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been following this game since before the KS. Hopefully I can clear this up a bit.

The base pledge gets you the Caves set, which has Novice level components.

There are stretch goals that add more variety to the cave set (and component upgrades).

The 50K stretch goal unlocks the ability to purchase the Sewer set. This is also a Novice level set. This was a stretch goal because they needed enough capital to commission the art for the Sewers (basically).

The World Map shows many locations in the world they have created. The idea is that the map of Dun Mordhain shows different Novice and Apprentice level adventure locations. The other places on the World Map will include other/higher level difficulty locations. These locations (along with the other locations on the Dun Mordhain map)will be future sets to buy. There is no real order to play them in, just difficulty to those levels.

The idea is that there is this large world with smaller locations. These smaller locations will have multiple "games" that can be purchased (kind of like adventure modules), the Caves and Sewer being two of these. However, each "game" is a sandbox type adventure. And you could "travel" between points on the World Map and decide to explore a cave you "find" along the way (using the Caves set).

Keep in mind that all the sets are compatible. By saying a set is Novice level, this means that the skill sets and monsters are a Novice difficulty, but all maps, etc can be used at any level. The Adventurers are meant to start with some skills, but can choose a skill tree that is about 100 layers deep (or is it 100 paths?). This is how the heroes go up in rank to pursue other difficulty level locations.

So, this game is starting small on the KS, but is becoming successful enough that they can get the Sewer set out earlier than expected. They have big plans for this world by making future sets to expand it. They intend to make it like DnD, but simpler to play/set up.

Edit: Don't feel bad about the confusion. I think the success took them by surprise. This made them add more content in short order (which they already have prepared, but no money to manufacture). On one post I read, the developers were wondering if even 500 people would be interested! Now they find themselves in the situation to be able to share more of their vision, but before they were ready to explain it all and answer all the queries (lucky them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan_c_byrd wrote:
Edit: Don't feel bad about the confusion. I think the success took them by surprise. This made them add more content in short order (which they already have prepared, but no money to manufacture). On one post I read, the developers were wondering if even 500 people would be interested!

Thanks for the insights. I love this part of your post. This is what KS should be for, and its nice when people are pleasantly surprised that their hard work is appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ryan_c_byrd wrote:
...These locations (along with the other locations on the Dun Mordhain map)will be future sets to buy...

The idea is that there is this large world with smaller locations. These smaller locations will have multiple "games" that can be purchased

I backed it, but I'm concerned that if I really enjoy the game it will become prohibitively expensive to purchase all of the expansion sets. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is my problem too. While following this game pre-KS, I was not looking at the future too much. The completionist in me is going to pay for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pako FuNkyBoY
Spain
Castelldefels
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, caves and sewers are only for novice level?

Two coresets for 50€, it's seems to much at first...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bennett
United Kingdom
Par
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might work out expensive to buy everything, but then that's no different than any other game is it? The difference is, each game is playable on it's own, and joined together the amount of 'game' for your money increases exponentially. Not that many other expansions/add-ons can say that (fully prepared to read the list where I'm proved wrong haha!)

They're also not going to turn up at once so you'll have time to enjoy each one as a unique experience before continuing the adventure.

Bring it on i say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your helpful comments, Ryan.

I do wish they'd cleared up the KS page a bit. It should really say what's in the package and what's in the future. I just hope no one backs this hoping to get that epic campaign thing and then go "wait a minute..." when they get the game in the mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pako FuNkyBoY
Spain
Castelldefels
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So sewers and caverns can be mixed in a unique gameplay?
Or are played separately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
funkyboy wrote:
So sewers and caverns can be mixed in a unique gameplay?
Or are played separately.

From the replay section on the KS:
Quote:
Mix any foe with any environment. Play Goblins in Caves or Lizardmen in Sewers or Undead in Crypts or mix them up as you desire. Or combine them all to create a Multi Environment Giant Adventure (MEGA) game.

Which sounds like mechanically they're fully mixable, but if you're a thematic purist you'd probably only want to mix creatures in whichever location, otherwise you have a swamp appearing between 2 caves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Huygen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smaller SG's set on for example 1000 that could unlock 1/10th of an expansion could solve that problem. That way expansions can be still payed in front so the creators will have money to let that expansion been created.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.