Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this has been suggested before.

But, what about a language independant rating.

Something like:
1 - fully translated rules with the game and no language used in the game. Something like Factory Fun.
2 - No translation of the rules with the game, but good transpations available for download and the game does not use language. Something like Portobello Market.
3 - Translation comes with the game (or available for download), but Translation poor and/or some text in another language. Still playable.
Something like Marquis I guess
4 - Translations avaliable, but has text on the board or or cards makes it hard to play without referencing printout. Somethink like Das Amulett
or maybe Morganland

5 - Game almost impossible with knowledge of the language. Something like Talisman is to a non-english speaker.

OK, so

problem one; you'd have to have ratings from different language perspectives.

Problem two; you'd have some disagreement to where the game falls. For instance - I personally think the graphics on El Grande are fairly self explainitory. In fact, we don't refer to the rulebook anymore when a question comes up, but to the graphic on the card. I, however, am a minority here. So, an average might be helpful.

Problem three; what about games that have no translation at all, but have not text in the game. So, if there was a translation it would be a 2.

What cha think?

(Oh and examples are subjective and scale can be changed. It's not the specifics that are important, but the concept).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can just enter this information in the wiki description of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Actually, this is a prime candidate for information which would fit well in the More Information field in each game entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or how about tagging games to record language information... (which we started doing back in summer 2006)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/15467

edit:
see also the wiki page:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/language_neutral

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
High Level
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've actually used that tag system to help decide when making game purchases between the German and English versions. At a quick glance you can see what others feel are language "neutral" games. It's a lot quicker than going and searching through the forums to see if others have asked questions about the same subject. I think a more formal way of doing that... like being able to rate a game 0-5 (or whatever scale was thought best) would be a very useful feature to add to each game page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nexttothemoon wrote:

I think a more formal way of doing that... like being able to rate a game 0-5 (or whatever scale was thought best) would be a very useful feature to add to each game page.

I agree. Ideally it should be a statistic like "Game Weight" that multiple users can assign to games.. then you'd get more of a general consensus on a game's language independence, as it can sometimes be subjective.

If something like this were to be introduced, I would hope & pray that an automated way of converting language-level:x tags to a language rating would be included... as I personally have 340+ language tags!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tags are good for an individual that KNOWS the game, but I was looking at it more from a perspective of "Hey that looks like a neat game, it's in German (or pick a language), I wonder if I can play this anyway?" If I knew the game well enough to tag it, I wouldn't have to ask myself that question. Some tags show up on the game page. But, it's normally not ones about language (Now I know I can look for them, I've not noticed those before).

Also, I'm not a huge fan of tags. I try to keep them at a minimum. (I was catagorizing pictures, but when it was throwing tags onto my list, I deleted all the tags as clutter). But, that is a personal perference I know.

But, tags and wiki are subjective to some extent. As in my example above, so I would think that we'd want something that took the 'pulse' of the community. Which is way I was asking about something like weight.

Then it would be right there in the summary, would be a poll instead of one person's opinion, AND you could run stats against other data points if you wanted to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
nexttothemoon wrote:

I think a more formal way of doing that... like being able to rate a game 0-5 (or whatever scale was thought best) would be a very useful feature to add to each game page.

I agree. Ideally it should be a statistic like "Game Weight" that multiple users can assign to games.. then you'd get more of a general consensus on a game's language independence, as it can sometimes be subjective.

If something like this were to be introduced, I would hope & pray that an automated way of converting language-level:x tags to a language rating would be included... as I personally have 340+ language tags!

Oh and if they were to ever do something like this, GeekMail me and I'd help you convert the tags to data.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
The tags are good for an individual that KNOWS the game, but I was looking at it more from a perspective of "Hey that looks like a neat game, it's in German (or pick a language), I wonder if I can play this anyway?" If I knew the game well enough to tag it, I wouldn't have to ask myself that question. Some tags show up on the game page. But, it's normally not ones about language (Now I know I can look for them, I've not noticed those before).

I know it is a bit of a chore, but it's still perfectly feasible to check if a game has been tagged with a language level:

From the game page click "View all tags" then ctrl-F to do a search within page e.g. for the word "language".

The philosophy behind the tag system was that BGGers familiar with the game should tag it, and others can use the above method to check games they're interested in. The tags are far from ideal, but in the absence of anything else (and believe me, many of us have clamoured for a solution to this), it seemed to be the best way to do it at the time (pre-wiki)

One advantage the tags have over simply putting info in the game wiki pages, is that it's then possible to view lists of games tagged as "language 0" or whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well,

I do like using data. BUT, I've been reading your list and looking at my collection. I might go through and tag my collection.

aarrrggghhhh more tags. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
Well,

I do like using data. BUT, I've been reading your list and looking at my collection. I might go through and tag my collection.

aarrrggghhhh more tags. cry

Well... If you want to avoid having the tags yourself, you can always geekmail me a list of games in each language category, and I'll tag em instead.

Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls