26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: War Gaming Video Chat, Saturday, 3 December 2016 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Captain Lion
msg tools
To all war gamers out there who would like to video chat for a couple of hours. Talk about favorite games, new purchases, great play experiences.

The overall theme for this session is: "Where would you like to see the hobby go in the future?"

7pm to 9pm (Eastern Standard Time)

Go to the link https://appear.in/BigBoard

For a relaxing good time!

Using the appear.in link will send you right into the chat room. Nothing else needed but the link above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't make this one but it's a cool idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
He's back!

Where would I like the hobby to go in the future? There are so many strands going in different directions, each of which are worth sustaining, that it's hard to articulate a coherent, single azimuth. So I'd have to say that I would like the hobby to continue it's diversification, but not at the cost of improvement and growth.

Of course, another way to characterize it would be to want the hobby to attract the younger players who have long been diverted by video/computer games. As the board wargaming hobby ages, there doesn't seem to be as many younger players. Not sure how the hobby can fix that, but it's a wish nonetheless and has been offered many, many times before this posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
"TOYS"!; since 'manipulate' involved "hands ON this" and "hands OFF them" any 'others'. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I subscribed to this post so maybe put out a reminder closer to the date. Thanks for setting this up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Only a wargamer would set up a video chat for 7 pm. on a Saturday night. whistle

Just teasing, of course. This is a fantastic idea but if we can't join then will there be a way to listen to a recording of it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
HE, amongst others, were 'active service' and we-uns akin KNOW how that "goes"! We're much greatly appreciative with 'interacting' for their 'concerns' then, if whenever they're of avail. Hey! I got "table setup" now while maybe get "Belleau Wood" onto there before this! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
adm1 wrote:
Only a wargamer would set up a video chat for 7 pm. on a Saturday night. whistle

Just teasing, of course. This is a fantastic idea but if we can't join then will there be a way to listen to a recording of it?

no recording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Lion
msg tools
Reminder to everyone: War Gaming Video Chat Saturday, beginning at 7pm (EST), at https://appear.in/BigBoard

See you there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
reposted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Could we have someone with this already perform a TEST-post in HERE to which we shall find out ahead of time if it is working properly? Tomorrow/Friday for that with a TIME specified after this missive will suffice, and thanks in advance if you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
it works.
https://appear.in/bigboard
The page is mine and is always available...well until company goes out of business.

FYI I put this page up and was going to link more of the same to my blog so guys could use this as a more efficient and easier skype tool. With or without video etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
Sounds fun. Not very Europe-friendly though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:

Frikkin' round Earth. It's a pain in the ass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:

Sigh. It's the old Dilbert joke about the Engineer Defamation League all over again : Subject : dispelling the myth that engineers have no social life : meetup next Saturday at 8 pm who's free ? - and everyone in the audience raises his hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
Sagrilarus wrote:
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:

Time Cube. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:

So, Lucky for you games only have a flat world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
wow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Desaxx wrote:
Reminder to everyone: War Gaming Video Chat Saturday, beginning at 7pm (EST), at https://appear.in/BigBoard

See you there!
blush Where 'precisely' upon there is this? I'm going to see if my "headset" may become used.
goorobotgoo NO 'mic' nor 'camera' detected STILL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Didn't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
hipshot wrote:
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
wow.

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be a jerk statement. I think it's a really cool thing you guys are doing. It was just an observation that the times would be difficult for someone outside of the US, but I should have phrased it differently. Coincidentally, I actually was up last night at the right time, but I was chatting with my brother in the US. Let me tell you that by 1am and after the bit of whisky I had, I was more or less too incoherent at that point to have been able to talk about wargames without embarassing myself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Declan Breen
United Kingdom
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Irish were represented. I put in an appearance and had a wonderful two hours, listening and making the odd contribution to a wide ranging and fascinating discussion on all things wargaming. A big thank you to all the guys.

Brandon hope you can make the next one, that's if the cross atlantic special relationship is still in operation.

Hell, maybe we can do our own hang out this side of the pond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
decb wrote:
The Irish were represent. I put in an appearance and had a wonderful two hours, listening and making the odd contribution to a wide ranging and fascinating discussion on all things wargaming. A big thank you to all the guys.

Brandon hope you can make the next one, that's if the cross atlantic special relationship is still in operation.

Hell, maybe we can do our own hang out this side of the pond.

I'd like to try next time, if possible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Didn't work.
arrrh ~"AYE" seen you in there a short-bit, and sometimes you need to "refresh" the site then, as it'll "sort itself out" eventually, we hoped! robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite the occasional technical problems, it was still a rollicking good time. Looking forward to the next one! Hopefully I'll have my copy of GMT's SILVER BAYONET on the table before then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.