Subject: New White Wizard Games "Sorcerer" Teased! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D. B.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came across this while on WWG website!!!!

http://www.whitewizardgames.com/sorcerer

Can't wait to learn more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I love star realms, I wonder if this is will be like their other games... Just a reskin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:
As much as I love star realms, I wonder if this is will be like their other games... Just a reskin.

I agree. Star Realms is a competent filler game. Cthulhu Realms added more structure types, so was a good evolution. Hero Realms now adds asynchronous abilities and campaign play, which is good. But I'm not sure what else can be done to change Star Realms while at the same time making it different enough and still be interesting enough to purchase.

Then, I hope whatever new game system WW comes up with is good, cuz Epic is terrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested in a game where they do a Dominion style layout and go from there. Instead of doing something that plays real quick, do something that plays in 45-60 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. B.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to assume that whatever this game entails it wouldn't be another implementation of the Star Realms/Hero Realms mechanic. Additionally, since it appears to be a fantasy-theme, it would be different than Epic (or other LCG/CCG type games) otherwise it would canabalize Epic sales. I hope they start release more info soon (or those that have played it at the WWG Game Fair this weekend can give us some insight).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Scholtz
msg tools
designer
Hi gentlemen i can ensure you that this game is not a reskin of any other games from white wizard games. it is even not a small card game, it is using custom dice, cards, boards and unique mechanics. More information will come pretty soon from WWG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything from WWG gets a closer inspection from me, mainly because of how incredibly awesome Epic Card Game is. Oh yeah, and Star Realms and Hero Realms were very good, too. I was almost ready to make Hero Realms my first Kickstarter-backed board game, so I'm curious what they have in store now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorcerer333 wrote:
Hi gentlemen i can ensure you that this game is not a reskin of any other games from white wizard games. it is even not a small card game, it is using custom dice, cards, boards and unique mechanics. More information will come pretty soon from WWG.

Hey Peter, thanks for responding; I took a look at the BGG page for Soreceror. Will the WWG edition also be 2-player only and keep the same theme? It looks like an interesting game, but I'm afraid it just may not be for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Scholtz
msg tools
designer
Hi sir. Well all this will pretty soon be announced by WWG. It will offer far more than the version which i bring to bgg 2 years ago. The theme remains, it is a non-cthulhu, non-steam punk victorian era horror, full of myth and legends descended from worldwide folklore. Many stories, minions and sorceries were inspired by beautiful legends across the globe, which i study for years. The version here on BGG is really older one, and the new one is far more polished. The white wizard games are amazing in production lead. The arts and layouts gone thru professional production and the gameplay is more balanced and unique. Stay tuned for upcoming interviews and images from White Wizard game fair which is currently ongoing and from this year's Essen spiel. It will be from 1-4 players ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to demo the game and I wrote up my impressions of it as part of a larger blog post.

Quote:
Sorcerer is a 2 player direct conflict tactical card game. It has a darker theme and heavier game weight than any of their previous products. Each player is an evil sorcerer living in Victorian London and trying to overrun 2 of the 3 districts of the city (currently called London 1, London 2, and London 3). Players create a sorcerer by selecting a clan, a specialty, and an origin (not the actual terms, but that is the theme of them). The demo version had 4 choices for each. Each one provides a single powerful ability that the player can use once per game as well as a set of cards (with the specialty providing about twice as many cards as each of the other two). The player shuffles these 3 sets of cards together to form their deck.

Each round of play consists of players alternating taking 1 action at a time. The available actions are:
* Draw 2 cards
* Regain 2 energy
* Play a card from your hand. Cards come in three types: spells, minions, and possessions. Spells are powerful, single use effects. Minions are evil soldiers that make up each sorcerers army. Each one must be played to one of the districts and each player can only have 4 minions per district. Possessions are powerful weapons that the sorcerer can arm a minion with. All of the cards cost between 1-6 energy to play.
* Move a minion from one district to an adjacent one or swap two minions in adjacent districts.
* Activate an ability of one of the cards that is in play. Each action would only activate an ability once, but the same ability could be used several times on the same turn.

Spending actions is the only way that a player could gain cards or energy, with one exception. At the beginning of each round, the priority (first) player would chose to either take 4 energy or roll an 8 sided die to determine an amount of energy to gain. In either case, his opponent also gets the same amount of energy.

After each player took 6 actions, the game moves on to combat. During the combat phase, the players contest each district in numerical order. Players take turns attacking with their minions one at a time, until all minions have either attacked once or have been killed and then move on to the next district. When attacking with a minion, a player rolls dice equal to that minions attack stat. Each dice has two a blank faces, two faces with single hit on them, one face with double hit on it, and one face with a critical hit on it. The defending player can assign each hit either to a minion in the district, up to that minions maximum health, or to the district itself. Crits are assigned to either a minion of the district by the attacking player and if there are no enemy minions to chose from, count as 2 hits on the city. Once a minion takes hits equal to its maximum health, it dies and is discarded. Once a location takes 13 hits from a single player that player wins that location and no further combat will take place in that district. Once a player wins two districts, they win the game.

At the end of combat, if no player has won, all damage taken by minions and locations is marked with counters and the game moves on to the next round. Priority is passed and players gain a bit of energy and start taking actions once again.

Overall, I enjoyed my play of the game, but I don't see myself getting it since it seems like a game that benefits from frequent play against opponents of similar skill, which I do not have. The biggest issues that jumped out at me is that an AP prone player could easily be overwhelmed by the number of possible plans and strategies. Also, since each players deck consists of a combination of 3 premade decks out of 12 (and that there are only 64 possible decks), I expect that experienced players will learn the capabilities of each deck and being able to count every card in their opponents deck will give them an overwhelming edge over their opponent. Also, the game as demoed to me, was not yet balanced well. I was able to win by summoning a minion that had great stats and gave me much more efficient action point usage (1 action point for 2 energy, 2 draws, and a reroll token). My opponent did not seem to have a good way to deal with a minion other than also summoning a high-stats minion to the same location. Unfortunately, I did have plenty of removal in my deck and since I had more cards than I could possibly use, I did not mind trading them to keep my super-minion alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I saw and heard in Essen at Spiel 16 was good.
Sadly I had to leave and no more chance to playtest it as I discovered it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
ampoliros wrote:
Then, I hope whatever new game system WW comes up with is good, cuz Epic is terrible.

Trantor42 wrote:
Everything from WWG gets a closer inspection from me, mainly because of how incredibly awesome Epic Card Game is.

FWIW, I side with the first post. I'm content to wait and see what the new game will be about.

Sorcerer333 wrote:
The theme remains, it is [...] full of myth and legends descended from worldwide folklore.

Oh, boy, how often have I seen this go wrong. Individual myths and legends from all over the world are powerful themes, but all to often, when they are all thrown together and mixed, what comes out lacks the lustre and power of those individual stories. The individuality of monsters, creatures, and all that, is drawn out of them as they are all represented by stats and fitted into standard rules. The individual legends become merely a background that is hung on the game rules, rather than permeating the whole game.

It's not always the case, but just the fact that the game uses myths and legends from all over the world makes me more wary about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.