Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Phillips
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire,
flag msg tools
mb
I like 18xx and have played 1830, 1856, 1870, 1861 and 1829. My biggest issue is, playing with three, the games go on too long and we end up just stopping from exhaustion.

An ideal 18xx would be one that played in 3 hours and definitely not longer than 4 hours.

Suggestions anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Klarmann
United States
Staten Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1857 is very fast, but good luck finding a copy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes cum Grano Salis
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
"It's not hard to design a game that works, the real challenge is making one that people want to play again and again."--Martin Wallace
mbmbmbmbmb
My group can play 1889 in 2 hours, but that's with experience. It's more or less 1830 on a smaller map.

18NEB is also a sub 3-hour game. As is 1846 once everyone knows what they're doing. Look at 1812 as well, which will be similar enough to 1861.

1889, 1812, and 18NEB (?) are available as (more expensive) rush orders from All-Aboard Games and/or Golden Spike Games.

1846 just got a nice GMT edition, so it's available. 1889 also has a PnP version, but tread carefully there because I don't believe the designer ever OK'd that, so it's a little controversial.

EDIT: And I forgot to mention that 18AL and 18GA are both PnP as well, and are shorter than 1830. In all cases here, experience will cut playtime considerably, as will playing with poker chips. I can't guarantee that your group's first play of 1846 will be under 4 hours, but it will be eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Siefken
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmb
Appearently the designer has OK'd the 1889 PnP version:
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/4xnaoy/1889_now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poseidon is faster than most 18xx games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Scholes
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
18EZ is about 2 hrs, but without much theme.
Already mentioned and the most available so far: 1846 is newly reprinted by GMT and under 3 hrs. for experienced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Schwenksville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bankrupt wrote:
18EZ is about 2 hrs, but without much theme.
Already mentioned and the most available so far: 1846 is newly reprinted by GMT and under 3 hrs. for experienced players.

Agree on 46
Also would add a second in Poseidon.
We can do 1880 in close to 3 as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.