Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Conquest of Paradise» Forums » Rules

Subject: Turn Inward and lost Explorer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Schweitzer
Brazil
Americana
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I Turn Inward on the same turn my Explorer got lost during step 2?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Turning inward means you didn't explore at all.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Schweitzer
Brazil
Americana
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrysm wrote:
No. Turning inward means you didn't explore at all.

Actually turning inward means you won't have explored next turn. My question is, if the explorer has explored and got lost during step 2, can you then "put him in Lost Box" (he is already there) to gain an extra building point this turn?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, it's been a while so I had a quick look at the rules to refresh my memory.

Turning Inward
Prior to actual construction, you may receive one extra
Build Point if you elect to skip your Exploration Step for
the following turn. In effect, the people are turning their
energies inward, and this extra production capability is its
reward. During the Building Step, if you choose to Turn
Inward in this manner, remove your Explorer and place it
in the Lost Box
. You receive one extra Build Point that
may be used in your Home Island Group, or any
Controlled Island Group connected to it by Transport
Canoe Chain. On the following Exploration Step, recover
your Explorer from the Lost Box in the usual way.

I would say the section I highlighted in bold means your Explorer must start off not in the Lost Box for you to be able to Turn Inward.

Otherwise, you'd get a situation of "oh, I pushed too hard exploring and ended up lost, so I'll just turn inward to get a build bonus to make up for it" which seems gamey to me.

I assume placing your Explorer in the Lost Box if you choose to turn inward is just for convenience to remind yourself not to explore.

If your Explorer is in the Lost Box already due to accumulating 6+ knots (and thus actually lost somewhere at sea, thematically), the crew surely can't be available to build something extra.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris, of course, is correct: including his analysis of why the rule works this way. I think it's rather obvious that you can't place your Explorer in the Lost box if your Explorer is already IN the Lost box. I think that Gabriel already knew that answer, but was hoping for a different one!

Kevin
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a couple times with the houserule that, if a player finds no useful islands during the Explore phase, this is treated like turning inwards. We were very satisfied with this variant. It acts as a compensation for the main source of luck in the game.

Optionally, you could combine this with the option that a "true" Turning Inwards yields 2 build points instead of 1, to leave a meaningful strategic option.

The extra build points do not affect the game balance by much.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting. By "useful", I assume that the failed explorer has to reveal any Atolls he might have found, in order to get his extra Build Point. Which takes away an interesting part of the bluffing aspect of the game.

Kevin
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KMcPartland wrote:
Very interesting. By "useful", I assume that the failed explorer has to reveal any Atolls he might have found, in order to get his extra Build Point. Which takes away an interesting part of the bluffing aspect of the game.

Kevin


Yes, that is a downside. But since many of my friends complain about luck in exploring, we've felt that it was an acceptable trade-off.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
flying_neko wrote:
KMcPartland wrote:
Very interesting. By "useful", I assume that the failed explorer has to reveal any Atolls he might have found, in order to get his extra Build Point. Which takes away an interesting part of the bluffing aspect of the game.

Kevin


Yes, that is a downside. But since many of my friends complain about luck in exploring, we've felt that it was an acceptable trade-off.


Isn't that the whole point? You try your luck? Some turns you'll have great discoveries. Other turns, nada. There's no risk/reward otherwise.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Natus wrote:
Isn't that the whole point? You try your luck? Some turns you'll have great discoveries. Other turns, nada. There's no risk/reward otherwise.


To be clear, I do not claim that my houserule is better than the original.

However, I disagree that there is no risk/reward this way. A big island or two is still leaps and bounds better than a consolatory prize of 1BP. So I wouldn't say that this variant eliminates risk entirely, it only mitigates it.

I am fine either way, but some of my friends are really pissed off when their first two rounds of exploration only reveal water everywhere and not a drop to drink. They much prefer Turning Inward = +2BP, only water/atolls = +1BP.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
flying_neko wrote:
Natus wrote:
Isn't that the whole point? You try your luck? Some turns you'll have great discoveries. Other turns, nada. There's no risk/reward otherwise.


To be clear, I do not claim that my houserule is better than the original.

However, I disagree that there is no risk/reward this way. A big island or two is still leaps and bounds better than a consolatory prize of 1BP. So I wouldn't say that this variant eliminates risk entirely, it only mitigates it.

I am fine either way, but some of my friends are really pissed off when their first two rounds of exploration only reveal water everywhere and not a drop to drink. They much prefer Turning Inward = +2BP, only water/atolls = +1BP.


The whole point of exploration is the risk element. House-ruling the risk neuters exploration. Besides, after you've explored all available tiles or islands, you get an extra BP every turn.

Good thing your friends don't have my horrible luck with dice. They'd house-rule to roll only 6s!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.