Subject: View from a Tokar's Veteran rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lap
United States
Saint Charles
IL - Illinois
flag msg tools
First off I'd like to say that I have played more than twenty full matches of this game and I know it fairly well. I also most likely gave it the highest rating anyone has yet given it (7), because I got past the steep learning curve.

Introduction

Imagine chess with custom pieces. Not just with modified movements, but with some very complicated abilities. Some of them can teleport, sacrifice themselves, produce others, rope in other pieces, regenerate, etc. The production values are the bare minimum so for those of you can only play pretty things you are out of luck.

Setup

Setup takes anywhere from 5-45 minutes. This is because there are many different options. There are three armies to choose from and every piece from "pawn" to "king" has a few options for you. For example, I might want all my pawns to only be able to move forward, but be invulnerable to other pawns. I would choose the skeleton for my pawns. However, maybe I want more flexibility and I could replace some of them with a more maneuverable class. This setup can therefore take a lot of time if you are reading over the abilities and have a hard time making decisions.

Gameplay

The game order and setup resembles chess, but since there are so many different units on the board with different abilities there is a lot to consider and game play often times goes slower than normal chess unless both players are very experienced. There ends up being a lot of things to memorize or frequently check on. However, since there are so many abilities and choices the games never turn out the same. This leads to a high level of replayability. On the downside, the game was not play tested extensively so there are a couple of pieces that have either vague or overpowered abilities. Not to big of an issue though.

Expandability

As with a lot of print and play games it is very easy to just make your own pieces. I have previously made whole sets for this game (robots, nature, insects, roman). If you ever get bored you can just make new units and there are already lots of units there to get an example on how powerful each piece should be. If you really want to be crazy you can mod the board for four players and do a huge brawl (took awhile, but it led to quite the crazy match).

Final Thoughts

This game is only worth playing if you have at least one dedicated playing partner. It can't be learned well enough in one sitting, but it will definitely get better the more it is played. Remember, it is easily modded and it is free.

Production Values 1/10*
Setup 5/10
Fun 8/10
Replayability 9/10
Difficulty 7/10

Overall- 7/10

*It's print and play so it is as good as you make it and I also am not going to factor this into the overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.