Subject: Hills, LOS, suppression ability and End cards questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played scenario 3 today and had a few problems with how LOS is played when Hills are involved. Here goes:

1} All hill square concentrations do not have red outline on the inside of their squares, it's just on the outside edges only. So what happens when a unit is firing on an enemy unit that is on the same Hill with intervening Hill terrain squares in between them (from the same Hill). The LOS 'line' does not cross any red lines. Is the whole Hill formation a single Hill, like a plateau, making LOS valid?
Does this makes sense?

There is also a 1x3 building that doesn't have red outline on the inside edges of its squares. Do units on opposite squares of that building trace LOS through the building to each other even though the intervening square is a 'Building' terrain (but with no red line)?

2} Can anyone explain how 50Cal.'s Suppression works? Is it always on or it's a player choice? How it is resolved?

3} During the same session we had 3 (!) turns out of 8 that we drew the 2 End turn cards required for ending the turn really early. Especially at one time we managed to draw 2 End turn cards with our opening hands, essentially meaning that we didn't even bet for initiative! Does this really end the turn? Seems a bit much to end a turn before it begins.
Also, since we never got a chance to resolve initiative we didn't know how to resolve the Reserve phase. Who moves his units first?

The scenario's 8 turns passed so quickly because of End card draws (just 2 required in this one) that we barely even managed to get near each other, the MECA's managed to kill 1 Infantry and the scenario ended with an anticlimactic ending. We didn't really like having 40% of our turns end after 0-3 Impulses... The Handler didn't even have the time to deploy his Spiderbots because by the time the player got his first POWER card we were already on round 7 and he couldn't really count on drawing ANOTHER power card next turn to actually manage to make Spiderbots useful.

Did we play something wrong? It seemed something was completely off in this scenario. Either we were hit with extremely bad luck regarding the End Turn cards draws or we are indeed playing some rules wrong.

PS When is that corrected manual coming out? Any news about an expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re 1: hill to hill not crossing red line means los is clear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
2. 50 Cal suppression: p21 - add 2 to the units HEF and any hit shakes the target, only soft targets.

It is an ability and on p6 it is mentioned that most abilities are always on but that suppression or Spiderbots combined fire may be used at the owners discretion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bakon wrote:
2. 50 Cal suppression: p21 - add 2 to the units HEF and any hit shakes the target, only soft targets.

It is an ability and on p6 it is mentioned that most abilities are always on but that suppression or Spiderbots combined fire may be used at the owners discretion.

I know all of the above and I'm still not sure how it works.

Is there any reason NOT to use this ability when shooting at Soft targets? Are there any negatives to it?

What happens if the target is already Shaken?

What about HIT* results? Does this ability make them useful or do they still count as a miss?

Can someone write an example as to what exactly changes from the usual Firing procedure when using Suppression?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Vasilis,

First off, thanks for playing the game.

On turn ending quickly. Yes, that was bad luck. Obviously, the End Turn cards are a randomization mechanism that all the play testers loved. That said, more than a couple of customers have raised concerns similar to yours. Try this rule, if you like. "End Turn cards drawn during 4.1 are returned to the deck (not discarded), and a new card is drawn."

If a turn ends before you bid for initiative (of course this won't happen if you use the above rule), the player with the initiative from the previous turn moves first in the Reserve Phase.

Suppression. It is the player's choice to use the Suppression ability. The downside? As the rules state "Any hit... Shakes the target" Hits drawn when using Suppression only Shake the target. They do not reduce or eliminate the target. Understand?

LOS... Hills. Such a good point and my mistake. If you occupy a Hill, LOS is not block to another Hill square UNLESS the LOS passes through a Woods square on a Hill. For example, LOS from 3C3 to 3C10 is clear. LOS from 3C2 to 3C10 is blocked by the Woods in 3C3. Okay?

Buildings. They are what they are. For example, LOS from 4A5 to 4D5 is blocked because the red border doesn't form a part of either unit's square (see 12.0) However, LOS from 4B6 to 4A4 is clear (consider this a warehouse).

Expansions? Oh hell yeah. We are testing one that takes place in a remote corner of the world. The humans are armed with a variety of weapons, from spears and machetes to AK74s... and they also have immensely powerful witch doctors. It'll be out in 2017.

Please keep playing, and keep asking questions. I'll be here to answer them.

In case you didn't know, '65 Squad-level Combat in the Jungles of Vietnam is based on the same system. It should be in the warehouse next month.

http://flyingpiggames.com/products/65-squad-level-combat-in-...
Quote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to mention in a mercenary way... we have a Kickstarter campaign going to finance an OST Vol I REPRINT. Includes some pretty cool pledge levels. You can check it out right here, if you like. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1408460255/old-school-t...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark, I want to thank you for the answers. It's ALWAYS nice to have official clarifications on game rules.

I'll check my maps when I get home to visualize your examples but that was exactly what I needed.

May I ask if you have an ETA for an updated rulebook?

PS Expansions! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
>May I ask if you have an ETA for an updated rulebook?

Maybe before the end of the year?

Expansions were in the previous post, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark Holt Walker wrote:
Expansions were in the previous post, no?

I know, I was putting my excitement in writing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL, I understand. I'm the same way. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.