Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bulent Dolek
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Kickstarter version of this game and very proud to be one of the supporters mentioned in the rule book. Although first print of Ihtilal has some printing errors (totally acceptable), I know that it has far better quality right now.

Designer of the game, Tunca Zeki Berkkurt, is a mechanical engineer interested in politics. As a result, Ihtilal is very very good blend of smart game mechanics and very detailed politics theme.

Twilight Struggle is also referred in the rule book as the initiation of the idea, but Ihtilal is a totally different game. I don't know why BGG classified Ihtilal as a "hand management" game, while our hands are all empty during the game Unlike Twilight Struggle, in Ihtilal event cards are drawn as an action card for that turn, they're not played from the hand and written action is valid for both players.

Theme is all about Turkish politics happened in 20th Century. That's why I called Ihtilal as old style Coup D'etat, because in 21st Century power of balance between Police and Army is totally changed in Turkey ie. In Ihtilal if you roll D6 4+ you can remove an influence token from a region, but not from the army, universities or companies. In today's conditions, 2+ is enough for police to arrest an army officer or an academician or a chairman of a company shake

Ihtilal perfectly combines the relationship between political parties, parliament, elections, police, army, universities, business initiatives. If you're a little bit interested in politics, İhtilal is real fun for you. Besides fun, it's really educative about Turkish politics history.

Chance factor: Event cards and dice rolling bring chance factor to the game. There're lots of dice rolling in the game.

Complexity of decisions: Not very complex. Because the game is played in phases, you can take certain actions in each phase. You don't have to think deeply what to do; you know what to do, you have to decide where to do

Interaction/communication: This is a 2 player only game and almost all your actions are against your opponent, so there're lots of interaction. But there's no need for communication, unless you're a friendly competitor like me

Catch-up function: At the end of each turn government party (who has most influence at the end of previous election) loses some influence tokens. This function provides a balance, I like it.

Language dependency: Action cards are open to both players. So even you're playing Turkish version (game also has English version) if any player knows Turkish can easily translate to other.

Replayability: Action cards are shuffled, this changes the sequence of historic events. I didn't play this game too many times, I cannot say it's becoming same...

Learning curve: Rules are not very complex, and some advanced rules are optional at the end of rule book. So, standard rules are easy to learn, because game is played by phases and you can take a certain action in every phase. I'm sure you can learn when you read once, and you'll check the rules couple of times during the game.

If you're Turkish, I strongly recommend Ihtilal. Theme is very strong! This is the game of Republic of Turkey.

If you're foreigner and you're interested in politics and you like war games, then you should try Ihtilal. At least, you'll learn who Ecevit "Karaoglan" is and why my family gave me the name "Bülent" when I was born in 1976.

Play İhtilal with the love of democracy!

Have fun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... so I can bear with you, please!
badge
Phil Eklund's games are like a bar of gold from a complete stranger.
mbmbmbmbmb

For an English-speaking foreigner interested in understanding modern Turkish politics behind the game which books (videos etc.) would you recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bulent Dolek
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game's era is between 1950s and 1990s.
Are you looking for books about that era?
Or books about Turkey's last 20 years?

According to your answer i'll make a small research and try to help you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... so I can bear with you, please!
badge
Phil Eklund's games are like a bar of gold from a complete stranger.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, both, I guess, but mostly the game period, to understand the background of İhtilal.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bulent Dolek
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There're several books at Amazon about Turkey. But I guess these could be the books you're looking for, because table of contents are chronological:

Turkey: A Modern History
3rd Edition
by Erik J. Zurcher (Author)

The History of Turkey, 2nd Edition (The Greenwood Histories of the Modern Nations)
by Douglas Howard (Author)

I haven't read any of them but selected according to reviews at Amazon.

I hope you enjoy one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.