Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had the pleasure of trying Monuments last night, with a friend's edition from Essen. They left me somewhat indifferent.

They added a little bit of early manoevring, as people sought to build the best ones. The defensive monument (which no one can attack if defended) did create a significant feature.

But overall, I don't think they added much to the game, to the degree that by the end players were forgetting to claim them. This is no bad thing, as Cyclades plus previous expansions is a great game that needs no fixing. But it means I don't feel any great pressure to get myself a copy either.

If anything, they encouraged a slightly more turtling playstyle, but not problematically so. I'd happily play with them again, but feel no urge to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
were u playing with the Titans exp?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
were u playing with the Titans exp?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It's a bit of a bummer, but thanks for the feedback!

Do you think there could be configurations (player number, etc.) In which monuments could have more of an impact?

This being said, it's good that monuments don't steal the show, I don't like overpowered expansions. It's a delicate balancing act.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexgodlex alexgod
France
flag msg tools
I heard the authors told that they were trying to fix the problem where players are not building anything and just waiting to get the metropolis of others in one turn. This strategy can make the game last 3 houres wich was not inteded. It's supposed to be a quick game. This extension is pushing players to build.

I have not tested yet, just tryin to explain what i heard from the interview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alexgodlex wrote:
I heard the authors told that they were trying to fix the problem where players are not building anything and just waiting to get the metropolis of others in one turn. This strategy can make the game last 3 houres wich was not inteded. It's supposed to be a quick game. This extension is pushing players to build.

Yes, I can see how this can answer that problem, if indeed it is one. I never encountered that problem myself, but with a certain meta can understand the concern.

It did speed up the game a little for us, in terms of rounds played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see the point about providing incentive to build. I'm surprised you had this experience with the Titans expanion as i's usually very aggressive and in your face. Now I want to hear more about Monuments before buying.

I never really encountered a game where people needed an incentive to build. Our games usually go well in that respect. The one problem my group has with Titans is the freakin artifacts! I think that some of them are way too powerful. The last couple times I played somebody was able to get a lot of money (yes we should have been more aware of that and tried to stop him) but once a player gets one or two zeus cards and has a few income spaces it's really hard to counter that. Maybe we just suck!

Anyways... with this small fortune he was able o buy artifacts as they appeared and not worry about the cost. With 2 or 3 of the right artifacts he was unstoppable. We thought that maybe next time we played we will leave the artifacts out but we havent played it since (too many games to play not enough time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo G.F.
Uruguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexgodlex wrote:

Now THIS caught my attention... Because I like Cyclades with Titans, I have Titans and have not gone back to Cyclades vainilla again, Titans "fixed" issues like those for me. But now I wonder how this new expansion would fit alone with Cyclades on its own, without Titans... very intresting, now I need to hear feedback from someone playing Cyclades+Monuments alone, without Titans ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.