Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Owners of the previous edition may have noticed that the new release does not include a pad of team roster sheets. The reason? Modern technology! Now there will be an app that will completely replace the old team roster and more. And now we have confirmation that it will be available the same day the game launches.

War of Sigmar uploaded an excellent image of the advert for the new app from the box, which you will find below. I am a little sad to see them going the dlc route, but am slightly relieved that its bundled and they aren't expecting us to pay per team added. Hopefully it will be under $5 for the dlc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Wyeth
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting! Bit cheeky to take out roster sheets and then make you pay extra for an app. Perhaps it'll be free? HAHA!laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roster sheets and league sheets are free downloads on the Blood Bowl website.

http://www.bloodbowl.com/

At the bottom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hughwyeth wrote:
Looks interesting! Bit cheeky to take out roster sheets and then make you pay extra for an app. Perhaps it'll be free? HAHA!laugh

I feel pretty confident saying that the base app will be free. As long as you only want to play humans and orcs. The casuals can get everything they want out of it without dropping a dime.

As for the rest, hopefully they will keep the dlc on the cheap side and not overdo it with add-ons.

As mentioned, you can download pdfs of roster sheets from the website. There's also a roster sheet in the new rulebook you can photocopy. So having access to roster sheets isn't the problem. The difference is only that you no longer get a pad of them.

Personally, I love the idea of having an app to record all of this information. It's easier than keeping a folder full of roster sheets and pencils every time you play.

I just hope that the app

1. Has some kind of backup feature, in case you change devices later.

2. Allows you to enter names for all of your players, because coming up with names is fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Wyeth
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Roster sheets and league sheets are free downloads on the Blood Bowl website.

http://www.bloodbowl.com/

At the bottom.

Ah, thanks for the link!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tegeler
Germany
Lohne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone information about a build-in League Manager? Because that would be awesome and a real usefull application of the smart devices!
One Coach starts a league and other Teams could request to join the league. Keeping track of the played matches and so on would be great for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kralle wrote:
Has anyone information about a build-in League Manager? Because that would be awesome and a real usefull application of the smart devices!
One Coach starts a league and other Teams could request to join the league. Keeping track of the played matches and so on would be great for this!

Look up OBBLM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hackman
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know why they put the date as their launch. Hopefully, it will be released today and be decent but it still isn't up on the Canadian site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My Dugout is now up on the Google Play Store. Not sure if it's ready for IOS yet. Definitely not available on Amazon App Store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
My Dugout is now up on the Google Play Store. Not sure if it's ready for IOS yet. Definitely not available on Amazon App Store.

Yah, I saw that. Kinda pricy IAP's.

Edit: and yes, it's on US iTunes app store as of this posting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah the IAP is kinda pricy. Well $3.99 for the dz add-on is about what I was expecting. But buying the rulebooks was more than I was expecting. Still if someone wants to skip buying Death Zone Season One, they could just buy the digital version for less than the physical one, and the bundled price is...not terrible .*shrugs*

Over all, I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed. Playing around with it some of my thoughts.

1) I can't find a way to rename a team after you've created them.

2) Interface is really plain looking. Almost no graphics, no sound. It looks...amateur.

3) Whenever dice rolls come up, I like that there's a button to roll the dice for you because entering the face for each die is annoying. But it took me a while to notice this button!

4) Random player names? Great. But putting together a quick 11 man team I got multiple duplicate first and last names. This feature would be better with a bigger list to draw from.

5) When making my team it was doing the math wrong. It showed me having -50,000 left. Removed one of my linemen and added another and now I am fine. Huh?

Overall, functional but uninspired. Possibly a few bugs to be patched. But it's free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Its graphical/artistic design is evocative of the game.

My problem with the app is that if I already own the books, I would like the electronic copies for free within the app. Let me log in to my GW account, let it verify I purchased the books, and then let me access the damn things electronically for free - or at least at a discount. For a company of it's size, the app should have this type of integration. It's very frustrating to be expected to play $20 for the electronic copies when I already paid them for the print copy.

I think the app is "nice" but I will probably just stick to dice, paper, and pencil - the app doesn't add anything really necessary and there's no way in hell I'm forking over another $24 for stuff I already own in a different format.

Or, I should say, it *might* be worth it in the future if I end up playing a *lot* of Bloodbowl - but I bought the game for fun/casual play and I find the app to be completely extraneous except for those coaches that prefer to lug a tablet around instead of a book. Then again, I'm probably the last generation will be saying that.

I'm still excited for the game! Should be here by Tuesday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tegeler
Germany
Lohne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The App would be more interesting, if you could manage leagues with it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kralle wrote:
The App would be more interesting, if you could manage leagues with it...

Like I said before, look up OBBLM. You can get your own site with team management tools for $5 a year. Running a league is beyond the scope of the ordinary app. And as the person who is going to be organizing my league, I certainly wouldn't want to be tapping every team record into my phone. tap-tap-tap....tap. no thanks. You need to the tool to be somewhere everyone can access. Not one person's pocket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very underwhelming. The UI is mediocre and unattractive, and no fun to use. As an experienced player, there are just too many other options out there, and the lack of support for all the teams is enough to make me walk away.

My needs would have been hard to meet in any case, so it's no great disappointment, but it would have been nice to get a great BB app.

EDIT: I must revise my opinion. The fact that you can't see your roster during a game makes the app utterly useless. There's no way to see your teams stats or skills without choosing players one by one and scrolling to see their stats. This app will still require players to have a paper roster beside them to play, thereby making the app useful only for automating the pre-match sequence. Amtrak I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tegeler
Germany
Lohne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Clinton,
Thank you for the Link/Informstion.
But I am still wondering, why they don't use the app for league Management.
Just dreaming, It could be this way:
One Player is the league-manager and others players can use the app on their devices to ask for permission to enter his league. A coach could have different teams (in different leagues). A recorded league play has to be entered by one coach (maybe entering the Infos directly besides the running match (touchdowns, injuries, SSP, etc.)
The second coach has to approve everything (or maybe in total after the march) on their device.
Stats and information about all teams would be visible for all league coaches and so on.
I expect the people in my planned league would like an official useful app on their devices more than to use a browser/OBBLM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great app...that I can't even load as I am still running iOS8.X. How thoughtful of GW to include people with older smart devices (and of Apple for forcing new iOS down our throat every year) wowshakearrrh

There were "better alternatives" mentioned. Which ones can be recommended?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kralle wrote:
Hi Clinton,
Thank you for the Link/Informstion.
But I am still wondering, why they don't use the app for league Management.
Just dreaming, It could be this way:
One Player is the league-manager and others players can use the app on their devices to ask for permission to enter his league. A coach could have different teams (in different leagues). A recorded league play has to be entered by one coach (maybe entering the Infos directly besides the running match (touchdowns, injuries, SSP, etc.)
The second coach has to approve everything (or maybe in total after the march) on their device.
Stats and information about all teams would be visible for all league coaches and so on.
I expect the people in my planned league would like an official useful app on their devices more than to use a browser/OBBLM.

I'm no programmer, but it seems like an app could be built to do what you are describing . . . again, lost opportunity here on GW's part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
I'm no programmer, but it seems like an app could be built to do what you are describing . . . again, lost opportunity here on GW's part.

That reads to me as "I know nothing about programming but sounds 100% workable as long as I don't have to do the work."

You can design an app for a lot of things but that doesn't mean a mobile app is the most practical or sensible solution, just because it's possible.

Asking for an app to run a league is basically just saying you're too lazy to do the work yourself. Leagues are complicated. Just think about how many different variant ways leagues can be run. Scheduled matchups? Free form? How many points do you get for a win? For a loss? Or are you determining top teams by SPP? How do you handle scheduled matches that don't take place? Those and many other things require a myriad options. Generally you don't want 101 different configuration settings in a mobile app. Mobile apps are meant to use the K.I.S.S. approach.

And how do you handle players who don't have mobile devices that support the app? They have no way to enter their team, record their matches, or check results.

If you truly believe that an app is ideal to your needs, then fine. There are lots of free programming environments and tutorials online about how to make an app. I encourage you to learn something about the complexity of both programming and the complexity of league management, and if you can prove me wrong in doing so, I will happily download your app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I trust by "you" you don't mean "me" but a more general, vague group of people "you". Your snide arrogance misses my point entirely.

But even if you (and I mean *you*) did mean *me* -- my point was that I am sure that Games Workshop has the resources to have set up integrated support for leagues using an app, or any other form of tracking they wanted *and* to integrate all of it. So while I'm no programmer, I'm sure that GW has the resources and could have (still can) make it happen.

I wasn't being lazy, nor was I suggesting that "someone else" should design such an app. Just that I know GW has the resources to make it happen, but they chose not to do so.

As I said a few posts above, I will be using good ol' paper and pencil for my games. I might try to make the PDFs form-fillable, but I just don't have any programming skills and at this stage in my life, I'm not going to go learn how.

The lazy comment is silly *and* offensive.

It can't be that *anyone else* who is asking for an app or software to work better or have more functionality means people are just "too lazy" to use paper and pencil. Or too lazy to learn how to program.

I could just as easily say that people who want to use paper and pencil are "too lazy" to get paint and run their league by drawing pictures on the side of a cave. Those lazy paper and pencil people!

It's just more convenient is all. Asking for modern technology to do tasks easier and better is not lazy, it's just modern and convenient and more efficient. It has nothing to do with how lazy a specific person is.

After a bit more tinkering, I personally think the app is shite in its current form.

The more general point -- the part of my post that you completely ignored -- the "missed opportunity" part -- is that GW could have made this a real go-to program, one that I, and thousands of other fans *would* pay lots of cash-money for, but they didn't.

They seem to be the ones that were "lazy" to me.

But as always, YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.