$5.00
$20.00
$30.00
$15.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

All Things Zombie: The Boardgame» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone prefer this version to reloaded? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious. It looks to play faster, be a little simpler and have mounted boards which may appeal to some gamers... thoughts?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another benefit: I already own it, and rounded all counters

I'm not sure if it is really simpler, the reloaded rules should be less ambiguous and therefore simpler, but I haven't played them.
Faster play would be a big plus for me, but again, I can't compare yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heath
United States
Pueblo West
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The older edition was not 100% what the designer Ed Teixeira had hoped for. The latest edition All Things Zombie Reloaded is what we had intended.

The maps, cards, and counters are different from the original release. I sure Ed drop by and comment here as well.

David
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
michael4928 wrote:
Just curious. It looks to play faster, be a little simpler and have mounted boards which may appeal to some gamers... thoughts?


Ed the designer of ATZ here. Both games based on the Origins Award winner for Best Miniatures Game back in 2006. Reloaded is dead on, the original version not quite with some major differences.

The first board game was submitted by me but changed without my approval or knowledge. Instead of pointing out what I feel is wrong with it I'll concentrate on what the new one does right.

Combat is much better and smoother. Zombie generation is the same as the miniatures game and not a downward death spiral.
There's more interaction between Non-Player survivors and players. It's more than a let's kill zombies game which gets boring pretty fast.

The scenarios are much better as they tie into a campaign game that can be played over and over with different results. These are open ended and not like the original where once you've played them there's not much incentive to replay them.

LnL has also published the original scenarios in updated form for free to go with Reloaded. Reloaded is totally compatible with the original.

I think the living rules for Reloaded are available on the LnL website if you're interested.Hope this helps.
4 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Perni
Italy
Roma
RM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
az_sunsets73 wrote:

[...]
LnL has also published the original scenarios in updated form for free to go with Reloaded. Reloaded is totally compatible with the original.

I think the living rules for Reloaded are available on the LnL website if you're interested.Hope this helps.


Do you mean I can play with the reloaded rules using the old components?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Pretty much. There may be some elements in Reloaded you won't have but you can substitute them from the original. The key is to use the Reloaded rules.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The "original" green box version was more of a tactical skirmish game, while Reloaded seems more of an open-ended adventure game. As such, I found myself preferring the original, though with the release of the scenarios redone for the new version, I'll definitely be getting it back on the table for another try.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brett Schaller wrote:
The "original" green box version was more of a tactical skirmish game, while Reloaded seems more of an open-ended adventure game. As such, I found myself preferring the original, though with the release of the scenarios redone for the new version, I'll definitely be getting it back on the table for another try.



I feel the same way. I like the quick tactical skirmish aspect of just fighting the zombies of the original more than dealing with "gangers" and trying to rebuild civilization, but also am intrigued some by the role playing aspects of reloaded. Like everything in life, opinions will vary. If the combat rules are better for reloaded I may use them for quicker one off tactical skirmish games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
michael4928 wrote:
Brett Schaller wrote:
The "original" green box version was more of a tactical skirmish game, while Reloaded seems more of an open-ended adventure game. As such, I found myself preferring the original, though with the release of the scenarios redone for the new version, I'll definitely be getting it back on the table for another try.



I feel the same way. I like the quick tactical skirmish aspect of just fighting the zombies of the original more than dealing with "gangers" and trying to rebuild civilization, but also am intrigued some by the role playing aspects of reloaded. Like everything in life, opinions will vary. If the combat rules are better for reloaded I may use them for quicker one off tactical skirmish games.


All THW games, including Reloaded, are like tool boxes. Use what you like, it won't break the game. Just substitute zombies for NPC humans. Or for a real twist, play as a Star Smart Zombie - but that's a whole new conversation.
FYI - The combat rules in Reloaded are much better if you want quick games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.