Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » General

Subject: Rant - The Box Insert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moo Cow
msg tools
mb
Who designed this insert?

My daughter and I are enjoying the game. Son just finished book 3, so I'm sorting out the cards so that we can play the corresponding game.

The issue rears its ugly head again. Who in the heck designed the slick, plastic insert to which the cards simply cannot get any purchase and end up sliding around on and getting all mixed up when the compartment isn't completely full?

Take a look at Legendary - they designed a really simple plastic insert with little humps so that the cards would slide into them and stay upright.

It drives me nuts every time I get the game out to play because the cards will slide down as I try to grab some out and then get mixed up if I'm not careful. I end up just having to take everything out of the box just to make it easier and to keep it organized.

Whoever is responsible - I hope Filch brings you down to his dungeon and gives you some lashes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats too bad. If only they had provided something you could use for spacers, like empty cardboard boxes that are roughly the same width as the cards, you could have used them to block the empty space and prop up the decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moo Cow
msg tools
mb
davypi wrote:
Thats too bad. If only they had provided something you could use for spacers, like empty cardboard boxes that are roughly the same width as the cards, you could have used them to block the empty space and prop up the decks.

Yes - because having to insert a cardboard box every time you take out a few cards is practical and convenient.

But my post was partially in jest - I'm obviously over-reacting to it; but I also do feel it's a really bad design choice.

Mage Knight also has a really strange box. Everything fits well for the most part, but for some reason the section for the cards has a part that offsets from the rest, so it makes it so the cards don't really fit properly and kind of bend. I really don't get that design either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moo Cow wrote:
Yes - because having to insert a cardboard box every time you take out a few cards is practical and convenient.

I'm honestly not understanding this. You don't need to add and remove the box every time. Just leave it there permanently.

All of the large cards (characters, locations, etc) fit in the upper right box and only slide down about 45 degrees. You can use your Game 2 box to prop them up to a higher angle if you want to.

Put your Hogwarts and hero decks in the lower right container. I agree that this far too much space for so few cards, but the year three box will again prop these up. There is no need to add boxes when you pull these cards out as you are using all of the cards in year 6 or 7 game anyway. If you are playing a game with fewer years, its not that difficult to pull the game three box forward and place the game five box behind it if you need to prop up the unused cards.

Once you have taken the game two and game three boxes out, there is just the right amount of space for the Dark Arts cards to fit in the left hand side of the insert.

The other bonus to this setup is that if you have sleeved your Hogwarts cards with premium sleeves, they fit almost perfectly into the lower right section. Since I don't need to use a box a spacer, I've actually broken down my year four box and stored it underneath the insert so my DA cards will fit on the left.

Quote:
But my post was partially in jest - I'm obviously over-reacting to it; but I also do feel it's a really bad design choice.

I figured there was some jest in there, otherwise I would not have been snarky with my reply. So no offense was intended. I do agree the insert is not without its flaws, but there are plenty of other games with worse inserts than this one. My real complaint is that the dividers actually stand taller than the lip of the sections on the right hand side. If you do find a setup that allows you to keep your cards flush to the container, the player boards sit on top of the dividers. This either causes bending/wear on the dividers or you simply cannot store the player boards in that spot. In line with your complaint, it is as if they designed the insert with the intent that you must have a large amount of slack in order to make it work, or you have to ditch the dividers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent L
msg tools
mbmbmb
davypi wrote:

I'm still laughing about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.