Subject: Rules variants for kids? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wei Jen Seah
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys

Am thinking introducing this game to my 5 year old, was wondering if anyone has tried previously? I'm thinking of how to modify the rules to make it simpler as an introductory experience. He has no problem playing simple games like Blokus where the ruleset is low, but too much chrome will probably overload his tiny noggin.

Was thinking of just playing purely with the pilot cards, and no modifications whatsoever, with a slight points handicap.

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome, thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A number on the forums have played with 7/8 yr olds by not using upgrades then introducing them slowly as they get to grips more with the game.
Not using too many ships at a time helps too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I did try playing with my six year old when he was five. Worked somewhat, but he insisted on playing lots of upgrades, and I didn't have the strength of will to tell him "no, we'll only be using the base ships and no upgrades". Should have, and it would work, depending on the kid.

What I did now was, I started a Heroes of the Aturi Cluster campaign with him. Like that I can say "no, we won't be using the Tantive IV this time, because the scenario doesn't tell us to - and Darth Vader isn't around either, nor is the Millennium Falcon, that's just the way the campaign works".

I gave him an X-Wing with R2-D2, like that he can stand in front of a TIE some time and will be able to recover, too. He'll grow with the possibilities of his ships (we've decided on Predator as his next upgrade after I've told him about some options, and now he's learning to be patient because he has to wait for another game until he can afford the XP for that, too).

And because it's cooperative and not competitive, I have no problems helping him with his maneuvers if he struggles, we have the maneuver dials face up, he's growing into the rules of initiative and shooting and all, and he's having lots of fun blowing up TIEs together with his daddy - just like I'm having lots of fun doing the same together with him
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got two boys, age 7 and 8 1/2. My eldest daughter is 5. I've introduced my two older boys to X-Wing at age 5, and my daughter is probably going to get her first game in today.

When we started we would use the basic rules: No actions, no upgrades, no asteroids, no pilot abilities. Just move and shoot. Introduce the other rules a little at a time. Play a couple games, and then put actions in. Then another game or two and add asteroids. Then pilot skills. Then upgrades.

We also limited number of units: When the boys first learned they played one X-Wing vs. two TIEs. Keep those numbers down to start to avoid overloading them.

My boys are now decent players, and my daughter is showing interest. We've been playing for 3 years, and the boys now play 100 point games with list building and the whole nine yards. They're very happy and excited about it.

A little at a time is the key. And you know your kid better than anyone, and you know what he can handle.

Good luck, and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei Jen Seah
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks guys! Plenty of great tips there to be had. I will likely go with the move and shoot only option with no upgrades as an introduction to assess how well he copes with the base game mechanic, and will take it from there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne Engineer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son started playing around his 4th birthday. I made a couple of minor variations, mostly using minimal upgrades and special abilities. So maybe one named pilot at most and several generics. Over time, I let him start using the special abilities as he gained experience.

I always made sure his pilots had initiative, so I had to move first and he got to shoot first to play balance things. I would set my movement dials, and then talk him through picking his. I would ask him, Where do you think these ships are going? Who are they going after? Then I would ask him where he would like to be and which way he would like to be facing. Then let him pick the maneuvers so I moved without knowing exactly what he had picked.

At 6 he was doing pretty good against adults. Partly because he was hard to predict, he played a game where he picked off about 4 scum ships because they picked a good maneuver and he picked an unpredictable one and they ended up right in his gun sights. He is 8 now and still loves playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.