Hide
6 Posts

Splendor» Forums » Rules

Subject: I now know why I never win (wild joker gold) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirov Ever
msg tools
I have been playing the rules wrong all these while. Misunderstood the rules as taught to me.

I never knew the golds could be USED IN PLACE OF GEMS as wild jokers to pay for cards! I have never seen them used that way before, or either did not notice them used in this way. Now that I think of it, I vaguely remember in my first session they mentioned in-passing that golds are wild.

The people who I have been playing with probably got the rules wrong as well!

My version (or rather our version):
Can only reserve cards if a gold is available.
Return gold when a reserved card is bought.

How we have been using the gold:
We have been using the gold used as a marker to indicate reserved cards by placing the gold above that reserved card. One that card is build we return the gold.

Now this makes the game easier. I could reserve that 6 red-gem card, hoard red gems, reserving more cards, then spend that combination of red gems and gold.

There you have it- Games as taught. Thought the rules are simple enough. Maybe they weren't clear about the details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No matter how clear rules are, people might make mistakes based on other factors, like preconceived notions. When I teach this game I go through the actions and I'll say when you reserve, you take the card into your hand and take one gold chip; the chip is a wild that counts as any color.

Two of the (numerous) people I have taught both assumed that the gold can only be used when buying that reserved card! They didn't get the idea from me, it was probably an idea carried over from some other game they had played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a 3 small pages rulebook, for Christ's sake! Just read the damn thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ste ma
msg tools
cyampagn wrote:

Now this makes the game easier. I could reserve that 6 red-gem card, hoard red gems, reserving more cards, then spend that combination of red gems and gold.

remember that you can have 10 gem tokens at max (including gold) and 3 reserved cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Santos
United States
LAS VEGAS
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I still don't see how misinterpretation of wild/joker gold could be the reason why you 'never win'.

First, if all of the players in your group have the same mistaken interpretation of gold token, that would even out the field - nobody would have an advantage when everybody plays the same way. So that couldn't possibly be the reason why you 'never win'.

On the other hand, if you play with a different group that plays with the correct interpretation of gold token, then yes, initially, you would be at a disadvantage. But you would notice that they are using/paying gold differently, right? And you would bring that up and would have a discussion of the rules which would clarify the issue. Sure, you might lose the first game due to your misinterpretation handicap of gold. But afterwards, you'd be OK. Again, that wouldn't explain why you 'never' win.

Could it be that you 'never win' because of some other playing style?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't win that often on account of me not being that good at the game. It's like I'm always 2 steps behind the other players, but that doesn't deter me from playing. Man, I love losing this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.