13 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: 1 handed or 2 handed solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregory Baker
msg tools
Hello all,

I usually play Legendary: Marvel (my favorite solo game) 2 handed, with a deck for my "left hand" and one for my "right hand", each usually setting up different combos. I know I am not alone in playing co-op games this way.

I played the first scenario of Arkham Horror the Card Game last night with my 11 year old son. He liked it, but was intimidated by the chaos bag and the difficulty level (normal, as recommended in the Learn to Play Guide) - I reminded him it was Arkham Files and it is SUPPOSED to be hopeless. Either way, he was not necessarily on board for the monthly or so scenario rpg style.

So if my son is out, do you think the game is better played as a pure solo game, with 1 investigator, or 2 handed with two? Is it worth the scaled difficulty and complexity to have more options available (a fighter and a scholar to focus on monsters and clues, etc.)?

I welcome hearing of your experience and wisdom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wesley sermeus
Belgium
flag msg tools
i played it solo and with 2 3 and 4 players now, and the more players the more clues and the more hitpoints some enemy's get.
i think it is more difficult with more players, because you draw also 1 encounter card/player, and the encounter deck can be nasty.
On the other hand i do believe i am not so sure if you can win the game solo with certain investigators like agnes baker.

Imo it's still much funner to play with more people for the interaction and the fact that it's a co-op game. Other players can help you. It makes the game much funner then solo, however playing solo i enjoy it much more then lotr lcg solo.

Overall about my experiences with Lotr and now arkham, be sure that when more scenarios are coming out that it will be thougher to win a scenario with 4palyers then with 2players.
But the way arkham flows the story behind it, the decision making you have to make, the fact you can play cards to help each other, and also every char has his weaknesses and strentgth which you can optimize when you level.

i think playing with more people also takes more time and not everyone wants to spend hours on a cardgame. I think 2 or 3 player games should be your primary choice. 4 players also ok, but can take a while, solo is decent but you lose the co-op aspect completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see no drawback in trying out the Core campaign both ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Broom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wezze wrote:
i played it solo and with 2 3 and 4 players now, and the more players the more clues and the more hitpoints some enemy's get.
i think it is more difficult with more players, because you draw also 1 encounter card/player, and the encounter deck can be nasty.
On the other hand i do believe i am not so sure if you can win the game solo with certain investigators like agnes baker.

Imo it's still much funner to play with more people for the interaction and the fact that it's a co-op game. Other players can help you. It makes the game much funner then solo, however playing solo i enjoy it much more then lotr lcg solo.

Overall about my experiences with Lotr and now arkham, be sure that when more scenarios are coming out that it will be thougher to win a scenario with 4palyers then with 2players.
But the way arkham flows the story behind it, the decision making you have to make, the fact you can play cards to help each other, and also every char has his weaknesses and strentgth which you can optimize when you level.

i think playing with more people also takes more time and not everyone wants to spend hours on a cardgame. I think 2 or 3 player games should be your primary choice. 4 players also ok, but can take a while, solo is decent but you lose the co-op aspect completely.

I think what OP was asking about was how is it playing pure solo (1 investigator) vs double-handed (2 investigators but still with only one player, playing both) rather than Solo vs Group play

I have to say I've played it both ways, enjoyed it both ways, but preferred double-handed just because of the interactions between the two investigators. I also play Legendary double-handed to get the full stack of Hero cards rather than the more limited Solo options, and also for the interactions between the two decks.

If I had to pick a preference I would definitely say double-handed is more fun for me than pure solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
I have played both one handed and two handed and it isn't a huge difference in preference but I prefer one investigator more.

I enjoy trying to solve my predicaments with fewer options, it feels a bit more tense and hopeless, and it makes me think about my actions and cards more.

Plus because you don't have to win to move on the game is possible with one, where other genres solo I always feel like I need to play with at least two characters.

I am heading into the final scenario with Agnes today, so we will see if my feelings hold up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost always play solo games true solo, and I think Arkham LCG might be one of the games most suited to this play style.

All of the investigators, and card classes, appear to have options for dealing with everything the game might throw at you, they just emphasise different methods of dealing with them.

Also I think it adds a level of thematic interest not present in the multiplayer game - the lone investigator, up against the unimaginable threats of the wider Cthulhu mythos, forced to draw on all their skills and resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played with another human person - but - will be traveling for work and will be flying solo tomorrow night and plan to play quite a bit.

I'm hoping to figure this exact thing out too. Plan to try with one investigator and then again as two.

Fortunately, the first adventure can be played very quickly - figured I would give it a run a few times to find out my preference. I am thinking I might like the 2 hands/investigators as I will be able to make a balanced pair of strengths/weaknesses that will compliment each other. We will see though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bowling
msg tools
mb
1h >>>>>> 2h in my opinion. The difficulty scaling makes it more difficult the more you add and I HATE the messiness of 2h.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
There's a whole bunch more interesting choices to make once you add an extra investigator, it turns a game which leans a little toward "go with the flow" into a game which leans into "control the flow". Both are engaging in their own way and I'd suggest to any solo player who wants to get the most out of their purchase that they spend some time (multiple playthroughs) trying out each approach. At the very base, functional level, 1-handed is a quick version of the game, where each additional investigator's likely to add 30 minutes or more to a scenario session.

For sheer, cold game systems, I think I prefer 2-handed. I find the hard rules interactions between investigators to be a warm and fuzzy blanket to dig right into. Tends to turn those "obviously I do this and then this" moments of a single-investigator game into lengthy sessions of "hmmmm..."s and "wait, but what if..?"s. Love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't tried it '2 handed' although most of my collection is co-op. It's nice to see that you can to an extent, play this as a solitaire game. I've noticed from most posts here, that if adding another 'hand' the difficultly does ramp up. I take it more encounter cards come up means more baddies you'll have to deal with if you don't pass certain skill tests. I'll have to try 2 investigators once but for me I like the fact that I can play solo.

All in all, I like how each investigator plays differently. Roland may be easier to get through because he has high health and decent sanity. Others aren't as good for attacking if you have rats and ghouls drawn. It's because of the randomness of the encounter deck and the chaos tokens that makes the same scenario interesting enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play solo with 3 characters. - Roland, Daisy and Wendy. Great skill interactions and a wide array of options.

Recommended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SgtTenor wrote:
I haven't tried it '2 handed' although most of my collection is co-op. It's nice to see that you can to an extent, play this as a solitaire game. I've noticed from most posts here, that if adding another 'hand' the difficultly does ramp up. I take it more encounter cards come up means more baddies you'll have to deal with if you don't pass certain skill tests. I'll have to try 2 investigators once but for me I like the fact that I can play solo.

I've only played 1-handed solo a couple of times, and 2- and 3-player once each, but my impression is that 2-player (or, therefore, 2-handed solo) is the easiest way to play, with 1-handed solo next, and 3- (and presumably 4-) player the hardest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McGowan
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
Have tried 1 and 2 solo. Admittedly only once 2-handed so far but I found it very difficult to remember all the interactions going on, committing cards from each player depending on location, monster hunter/engagement, etc

It ended up just battling with the mechanics rather than enjoying the game if that makes sense.

I can see playing 2 player adds some interesting choices/features but I don't know if I can handle that on my own.

Playing solo was tough but fun with Wendy and similar with Roland, although a little easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.