$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: "I only want to play wargames from now on!" my eldest daughter declared. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a follow up to this thread.

So my elder daughter and I played Battle Cry last night. It was hr second time ever, and we played with the regular rules. She read the cards and I confirmed with her what her options were. Otherwise, she played for herself. We played the 1st Bull Run scenario again but switched sides. She played the "grays" and I played the "Blues". I did tell her a bit about the war but for right now she likes playing with the figures.

For most of the game, we were fairly even. At the start of the last move, we both had captured four flag pieces. By this point, both of us had a few units which were severely depleted. She played a hit and run card and her cavalry units picked off two of my units in a single turn.

So she ran out to her mother in the next room and excited said she'd won. I joined her and provided more details, telling my wife in my daughter's presence how well she'd done and how proud I was (and still am). At some point during that, my daughter declared she only wanted to play wargames from now on!

Today we played a couple of games of Dogfight, and she also played a game (not with me) of Snakes and Ladders. So she's not really not going to play anything else but she has decided she likes wargames!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is she old enough to marry? whistle

Edit: ah, only 5. The quest continues...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Next time there's someone on your lawn, see how she reacts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:

We live in a fourth floor apartment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smart girl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see you are fully embracing the philosophy "Start'em young, raise them right!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Wilson
United States
Wilmette
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother taught my grandniece how to play Battle Cry when she was that age and she immediately started playing more complex games with him. I'm jealous of both of you on that score. I thought I had influenced my eldest grandson properly when I had him beating his father at Othello when he was four, but as a freshman in high school, he's more interested in girls than in the Star Wars miniatures set I got him for Christmas.

I tried to tell him that there's plenty of time for rejection in later high school and college, but his good looks are bound to get him in trouble before he knows it. Alas, maybe he'll be ready to play GMT and Avalon Hill games with me when my great grandchildren are born. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
I started mine young too. This is age 4. Last year (age 10)I taught her the movement and combat systems of Virgin Queen. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
caracfergus wrote:

We live in a fourth floor apartment.

Even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
She asked to play a wargame virtually first thing when she got home today from gan (preschool in American terms). I needed to do some work and so introduced her to a card wargame The Battle for Hill 218 figuring it would be quicker. I'm not sure it was except for set-up time but that is significant. I think she likes playing with figures though and being able to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
p38_Lightning wrote:
I started mine young too. This is age 4. Last year (age 10)I taught her the movement and combat systems of Virgin Queen. cool

Wow. More power to her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary guyton
United States
newberg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Any of these precocious kids for sale or trade??

I'd give up my 22 yr old daughter in nursing school that hates wargames. I gotta say, she paying the freight re school, so no worry to you.

Or maybe my unpunched, unplayed copy of The Longest Day, or maybe swap out your pick of my collection...multiple items 'till the deal is done???

surprise

NO? No, Really7???You mean: NO!....soblue

cry

Lucky guys....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We played the 1st Bull Run scenario again but switched sides.

When the second Battle of Bull Run isn't the Second Battle of Bull Run but the Battle of First Manassas...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.