BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games like chess rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Any games like chess out there? I have looked at Tak and The Duke any other games like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yōkaï no Mori which is based on Shogi
Navia Dratp which is OOP
Chase less like Chess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jelle Volckaert
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Onitama
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dummiz wrote:
Any games like chess out there? I have looked at Tak and The Duke any other games like that?

Well Tak isn't really chess like is it? It is a connection game - and there are tons of those.

For something chess like I would go for Arimaa or even Hive

If you are looking at two player combinatorial abstract games then there is https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamesubdomain/4666/abstract-g... plus there are many geeklists to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Chess is historically derived from the Indian game Chaturanga; it went west to Europe and became Chess, and it went to east to China and Japan and became Xiangqi and Shogi, respectively. Both are definitely recognizable as being direct relatives of Chess, but definitely distinct in their rules. I quite like Xiangqi, but haven't yet given Shogi a try.

Another traditional game that is "like chess" in the sense of being a two-player perfect-information abstract strategy game with a long history which takes "minutes to learn, a lifetime to master" is Go. Like Chess, Xiangqi and Shogi, since it is an ancient traditional game, it is readily available in many different version both physically and digitally, and other players can often be found both in person and online.

As for modern designer board games, there is Hive Pocket, which delivers that chess-like feel, but more portable and with a generally shorter playtime. There is also Jarl: The Vikings Tile-Laying Game, which is both a standalone game and also an expansion for The Duke, but with a different sort of playstyle.

As for chess variants, I find that Knightmare Chess (third edition) adds a lot of fun to a regular chess set. And there is Arimaa, which I haven't yet had a chance to give a try. For the Crown (Second edition) adds a "pool building" element to chess, which also sounds intriguing, but which I haven't yet had a chance to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I already Got hive and Yinsh an love Them both i Think that the duke looks Nice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dummiz wrote:

As long as you don't mind a bit of randomness The Duke is fine.

If you want a game about connections (like Tak) then PÜNCT would be a fine game for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Mowery
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Hive. Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shipard
Australia
Bendigo
Victoria
flag msg tools
volckaej wrote:

+1 for onitama
Also +1 for hive with the mosquito tile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends felt chess like

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dummiz wrote:

Part of the allure of chess is that it is a game to dive into and explore through playing hundreds of games. It is not a game you rotate to the table with dozens of other games. I feel the same away about most of the other abstracts in this thread, except for maybe Onitama. If you already have YINSH and Hive, in my opinion you already have your hands full. How much have you played each of them? I bet there is a ton left to explore in both of those games before you go adding to your collection with even more abstracts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Rau
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Barony has a chess like feel to us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Abalone for how it's a bit more about creating strong formations than planning ahead several moves, so it depends what you like about chess, or what you want to similar– but I still recommend checking it out as a great abstract that's about formations and capturing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Guy
United States
flag msg tools
wamsp wrote:
Chess is historically derived from the Indian game Chaturanga; it went west to Europe and became Chess, and it went to east to China and Japan and became Xiangqi and Shogi, respectively. Both are definitely recognizable as being direct relatives of Chess, but definitely distinct in their rules. I quite like Xiangqi, but haven't yet given Shogi a try.

Another traditional game that is "like chess" in the sense of being a two-player perfect-information abstract strategy game with a long history which takes "minutes to learn, a lifetime to master" is Go. Like Chess, Xiangqi and Shogi, since it is an ancient traditional game, it is readily available in many different version both physically and digitally, and other players can often be found both in person and online.

As for modern designer board games, there is Hive Pocket, which delivers that chess-like feel, but more portable and with a generally shorter playtime. There is also Jarl: The Vikings Tile-Laying Game, which is both a standalone game and also an expansion for The Duke, but with a different sort of playstyle.

As for chess variants, I find that Knightmare Chess (third edition) adds a lot of fun to a regular chess set. And there is Arimaa, which I haven't yet had a chance to give a try. For the Crown (Second edition) adds a "pool building" element to chess, which also sounds intriguing, but which I haven't yet had a chance to try.

Xiangqi is fine but once you try Shogi it's hard to go back. The drop rule addd so much depth and strategy. Chess has this subtractive element where the board has less pieces as the game goes on, but in shogi you always have roughly the same number of pieces, they just change sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Camelot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite "chess like game" is called Ploy.

A great game that me and my friends have played for years. Not quite as deep as chess, but quicker and very fun.

It is OOP, but it is still available used. And the game has fairly high quality construction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus worker placement with no luck whatsoever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kelsith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feudal is probably 20 years out of print but yet shows up from time to time in either thrift, antique shops, ebay for pretty cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Dummiz wrote:

Part of the allure of chess is that it is a game to dive into and explore through playing hundreds of games. It is not a game you rotate to the table with dozens of other games.

Speak for yourself.

OK for some, maybe a lot of, people Chess is a lifestyle game where it is the majority (or the entirety) of their gaming.

For others it is just one of many abstract games they play - it is a game where one can always find physical opponents. Unlike shogi or arimaa or most other abstract games.

For others it is one of the ubiquitous games which they come across when young and then move into other abstract games. At an early stage they think about abstract games being chess-like to distinguish those sort of games from Monopoly and Scrabble and backgammon etc as they do not have the specific vocabulary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
There is Stealth Chess or even All the King's Men while them other 3M titles are fine too. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0y
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Six Making thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Fergin
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
quoted by John Bandettini
badge
"I have the heart of a lion and a lifetime ban from the London zoo."
mbmbmbmbmb
Khet: The Laser Game. Trust me on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad McCoy
United States
Vilonia
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here ya go: Games That Are Like Chess, but...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelsith wrote:
Feudal is probably 20 years out of print but yet shows up from time to time in either thrift, antique shops, ebay for pretty cheap.

Agreed. It's very chess-like, and old copies can be obtained for very reasonable prices. Suitable for 2 to 6 players (2 teams of 3 players).

I also recommend

Stratego

Conquest

Hera and Zeus

Doubles Chess

Breakthru - like Feudal, it's an old 3M bookcase game that can be found at reasonable prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.