Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt J
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When are you allowed to draw an evolution?

The rules say
Quote:
When a Monster gets at least [heart][heart][heart] with his Roll, he draws 2 Evolution card, keeps 1 in his hand without showing it, and discards the other.

Does this bonus occur during the Roll the Dice phase or the Resolve the dice phase?

If it occurs during the Resolve the dice phase, does the bonus trigger as soon as 3 or more hearts have been resolved, or after all dice have been resolved?

If a player can acquire an evolution as a bonus before resolving their hearts, can they then use a a dice changing effect, e.g.Chameleon or Universal Soldier, to reduce the number of heart dice below 3?

This could also have implications for other cards like "Climb the Empire State Building" or many different evolutions that include a "if you roll" phrase on them. For example, the Drakonis Evolution Tezuka Bazooka "Add {claw][claw] to your roll if you roll four of a kind".

It feels wrong to allow dice to be changed if they trigger a bonus, but it seems like you have to allow the effects to trigger prior to dice resolution to allow cards like Tezuka Bazooka to work as intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All "if you roll" cards only care about the final result (unless they specifically say otherwise).

While you can change the face of a resolved die, it is pointless, as you can only resolve each die once.

To get an Evolution you must roll and keep and resolve 3 hearts.
Other "roll X matching dice" cards work the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While you can choose the order you resolve dice (as described in the rules), I don't believe you can change the dice once you're already begun resolving them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Loe-Sterphone
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Customer Service, Translator, Webmaster, Reviewer Contact for IELLO USA
badge
Ask me stuff! I'll help you!
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
All "if you roll" cards only care about the final result (unless they specifically say otherwise).

Correct!

nerman8r wrote:
While you can choose the order you resolve dice (as described in the rules), I don't believe you can change the dice once you're already begun resolving them.

Correct!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.