12 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Character death? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Billups
msg tools
mb
How can a character be killed in the campaign?

You would have to suffer trauma equal to your starting Health or Sanity which I don't think is possible if there are only three scenarios in the campaign. All of the characters have health and sanity greater than 3. Once your are defeated you're out for the scenario so your character could suffer a maximum three defeats / trauma. Is this not correct?

I understand that later campaigns will be longer once the monthly packs start showing up, but is it possible to be 'killed' with what is in the base game?

Sorry if this has been covered before - I did a search for death and killed and it brings up dozens of unrelated topics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
xord wrote:
How can a character be killed in the campaign?

You would have to suffer trauma equal to your starting Health or Sanity which I don't think is possible if there are only three scenarios in the campaign. All of the characters have health and sanity greater than 3. Once your are defeated you're out for the scenario so your character could suffer a maximum three defeats / trauma. Is this not correct?

It's correct, but just because your character lives doesn't mean they enjoy living with heaps of physical and emotional trauma.

In the end, if you're content with the resolution you got, that's all that matters.

There are also straight up effects that kill investigators; those are spelled out on the abilities that do so. And such effects do exist in The Night of the Zealot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Millikan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are scenario effects/resolutions that add mental or physical trauma in addition to what you suffer by being eliminated. Additionally, as Gaffa mentioned, characters can be outright killed by scenario resolutions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bowling
msg tools
mb
It may not even be possible in a regular campaign. If a regular cycle is 3 scenarios and then there are 6 mythos packs they would only be all dead for like 1 scenario. Until then theh will just be mostly dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assume full Dunwich will be 3 small box +6 cycle pack.. = 9

one game in the core so far i had 3 mental trauma (max 5) and 2 health (max 9) trauma at the end
(no clue icons left on table when i got my cover up weakness + dying or KOing twice, technically act 3 did end me too)

luckily i'm not starting a cycle like this as i woun't last very long..

over all its not just 1 trauma per mission and a full campaign i expect is 9 quests long like lotr was

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Whitford
msg tools
mbmbmb
Milarky wrote:
Assume full Dunwich will be 3 small box +6 cycle pack.. = 9

one game in the core so far i had 3 mental trauma (max 5) and 2 health (max 9) trauma at the end
(no clue icons left on table when i got my cover up weakness + dying or KOing twice, technically act 3 did end me too)

luckily i'm not starting a cycle like this as i woun't last very long..

over all its not just 1 trauma per mission and a full campaign i expect is 9 quests long like lotr was

The Dunwich small box is confirmed to be 2 scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you get a starting penalty of +1 horror or +1 damage for each point of physical and mental trauma - so it's not something you want to suffer if you can avoid it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and just to make sure, each scenario after the first one in a campaign we get our full health & sanity minus what physical or mental trauma we suffered in the previous scenario, right?

So Roland Banks has 9 health & 5 sanity on his card but lost all of his sanity points in the first scenario (stupid Ghoul Chief or whatever) so the the next scenario (the masking midnight one) he starts out with 9 health and "4" sanity instead of "5" because he lost one trauma the scenario before due to losing all his sanity points,.....right?

I'm liking this game but the rules,.....jeezsh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
...and just to make sure, each scenario after the first one in a campaign we get our full health & sanity minus what physical or mental trauma we suffered in the previous scenario, right?

So Roland Banks has 9 health & 5 sanity on his card but lost all of his sanity points in the first scenario (stupid Ghoul Chief or whatever) so the the next scenario (the masking midnight one) he starts out with 9 health and "4" sanity instead of "5" because he lost one trauma the scenario before due to losing all his sanity points,.....right?

Yes, that is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:

Yes, that is correct.

OMGGGgggg, I can't believe I got that right, thanks!!!!!
blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that Roland's maximum sanity is still 5, even with mental trauma. He starts the game with a horror token on him but that can be healed with a card such as First Aid or Clarity of Mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nefrubyr wrote:
Note that Roland's maximum sanity is still 5, even with mental trauma. He starts the game with a horror token on him but that can be healed with a card such as First Aid or Clarity of Mind.

oooooohh, that was my NEXT question!
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.