Patchwork» Forums » General

Subject: Suggestion on reducing footprint? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AY Ronny
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I tried this game once and loved it so much. I will love it more if I have a larger table to play on and not having to put the button supply and the game box on my knees..

Would like to seek suggestion on playing the game on a small surface. Any suggestion to reduce the footprint taken up by the patch circle is welcomed.

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
you could stack all of the patch pieces on top of each other and only show the next three, but i think that would be detrimental to the tactics involved in the game of seeing what may be coming next
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To keep the tactical experience, you really need to be able to see all the pieces in order. Which is why suggestions like Max's, or keeping them in a bag as I have seen elsewhere, alter the game significantly. I haven't tried the app yet, but I seem to recall from a demo that it only shows the next three pieces, so it may not be too bad.

The issue is that the big circle uses up a lot of table space. I haven't tried it, but you could try arranging the tiles differently. Perhaps as a snaking path running up and down the table beside the time card. Apart from that, have you tried playing at a picnic table at a local park?

Finally, maybe follow Max's suggestion, but keep six tiles out at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The app shows three, but you can scroll ahead through the rest to see the line of tiles.

I agree that most of the suggestions are detrimental to the game. You really want to be able to see several tiles in front of you to plan ahead. Even staking them and pulling the first three is more of a pain because you have to make sure that you restack those tiles in order and then try and place them on the bottom of the stack again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play on the floor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Murr wrote:
Play on the floor.

Put a quilt on the floor for extra thematics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AY Ronny
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks! I think I will go with having all the patches stacked with 6 revealed at a time then

Will consider playing all the floor also if I get my copy lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a snake or a couple of rows would help.
If you do rows you just need to be careful to keep track of the order you work through them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rainbowrose wrote:
If you do rows you just need to be careful to keep track of the order you work through them.

I wouldn't snake the rows. I would just go from one row left to right down to the next row left to right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OutOfHabit wrote:
rainbowrose wrote:

I wouldn't snake the rows. I would just go from one row left to right down to the next row left to right.

Yes I agree, rows are better than a snake.

What are the dimensions of your table?

I set it up in a space 22.5 in X 22.5 in
using 3 rows of 11 tiles each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.