$15.00
$20.00
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of you are probably worried about me. "What happened to that Feast for Odin fellow?"

Well, while it's true that my 25-days-and-42-plays streak came to an end, no harm was in fact done to my fleet. It's just that I haven't had time to do write-ups.

Today's draw I was excited about: Bean Farmer (At any time, change two beans into one peas, one mead, one stockfish.). I was excited for three reasons: 1. Uwe loves beans, and Bohnanza is an old family favourite. 2. I wanted to try a house strategy again, and this felt like a good engine for it. 3. The last time I got Bean Farmer I did terribly!

My first in-game draw was helpful: Helper in Time of Need (In non-harvest rounds, gain beans/wheat/lettuce for 1/2/3 whaling boats.).

My overall strategy was to get to 3 income quickly on my main board, surrounding the mead for additional small red support, then Shetland for quick 3 income and the beans. Then an emigration to save on oranges and reds, then all out focus on houses until end game cleanup on my main board.

So I opened with whaling boat, Shetland (and immediately surrounded the bonus beans), and longhouse (and immediately surrounded the beans!). Henceforth I was rolling in beans. I used Bean Farmer every single time I could, using the small orange and red bits to feed and to stock my two longhouses and one stone house. I did the knarr/longhouse action twice to allow emigration and get cards into play.

The "problem" with the solo game, of course, is that you are always in your own way, so I needed some additional things to do. I did a mix of one-off animal pick ups (with a Weekly Market 4 actions for that awesome blend of things), some whaling, some trapping, and realized that I could be covering my main board at the same time as stocking those houses. I flipped sheep, cow, whale meat, then did fur and linen into clothing, then knarr-traded that along with skin and bones and oil. I covered my main board to 7, then 9, then 18 in successive rounds.

Two emigrations to close things out (because I didn't have time to do anything else), and I finished with my best solo score ever, and finally broke the 140 point barrier!

SCORING
03 . Ships
54 . Emigration
06 . Exploration boards
44 . Sheds and houses
13 . Occupation
03 . Silver
21 . Income
-----------------
144 Subtotal
-02 Sheds and houses
---------------------
142 FINAL SCORE!

Obviously quite happy with breaking the 140! This is my 43rd play, and here's what I saw for the first time:

- I took an exploration board without intending to finish it. I took Shetland and only ended up gaining the meat, the three income, and the beans. I covered all the -1's, but left the rest of it alone.

- "Weak cards" work. Bean Farmer seems like a weak card (a common complaint with this game is the number of "weak" cards); after all, it takes 8 squares of oranges and changes them into 2 orange squares and 5 red squares. It's all about finding ways to utilize what they do, and have the rest of your decisions work in tandem.

- Sheep, Cow, Weekly Market 4, convert animals to green is a nice progression, getting you two silver, a card in play, and also allows some additional tiles for a knarr trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.