Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Benson
United States
REDMOND
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you still re-purchase this game if you have owned it for over a year? Does it become dull and boring after a certain number of plays? I read another person saying they'd rather play Five Tribes over this and on Shut Up and Sit Down recommending Concordia over this.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonicwarhol wrote:
Would you still re-purchase this game if you have owned it for over a year? Does it become dull and boring after a certain number of plays? I read another person saying they'd rather play Five Tribes over this and on Shut Up and Sit Down recommending Concordia over this.

Thoughts? Thanks.

It's good, but not great. For a quick Euro, would rather play Five Tribes or Isle of Skye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonicwarhol wrote:

Thoughts? Thanks.

I would purchase it again and again. For me, this is a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's one of our most played games. With the expansions and larger board it's added a whole other dimension to the game play.

Would buy it again with out hesitation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Liles
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Call me Tommy
badge
Check out my gaming blog! www.wewereplayingitwrong.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Would buy again without hesitation. Expansion is great too.

Concordia is a great comparison but the card-driven action and rather more complex scoring system are less accessible than Istanbul's pick up and deliver. Istanbul looks nicer too.

Five Tribes is a great game but far more AP-inducing than Istanbul. Isle of Skye is also a great game but doesn't have the head-to-head race element that makes Concordia, Five Tribes, and especially Istanbul tense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Benson
United States
REDMOND
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordObsidian wrote:

Concordia is a great comparison but the card-driven action and rather more complex scoring system are less accessible than Istanbul's pick up and deliver. Istanbul looks nicer too.

Five Tribes is a great game but far more AP-inducing than Istanbul. Isle of Skye is also a great game but doesn't have the head-to-head race element that makes Concordia, Five Tribes, and especially Istanbul tense.

Yes, I heard Five Tribes is an AP nightmare for some people and I remember Concordia being a little to abstract for my family. Haven't played Isle of Skye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of our recent favorites. Without the first expansion, I can see it getting a bit predictable. With the expansion, you get a lot of replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
My biggest problem is that a lot of other people I know promptly bought copies once they'd played mine, so I needn't have bothered. (-8

It's a good, solid, replayable game. If you're only buying one game this year, Istanbul shouldn't be it, but it's probably worth getting if you buy one a month and definitely if you buy one a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make your own judgement! I like Istanbul much better than Isle of Skye or Five tribes. I don't care about both games really, I would play only Istanbul...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Liles
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Call me Tommy
badge
Check out my gaming blog! www.wewereplayingitwrong.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonicwarhol wrote:
LordObsidian wrote:

Yes, I heard Five Tribes is an AP nightmare for some people and I remember Concordia being a little to abstract for my family. Haven't played Isle of Skye.

For a direct comparison, Isle of Skye is a great game, but it's an auction game and a relatively sophisticated one at that. Players have to evaluate every other player's board to make the best choice while managing their own cash flow, all while building a board of tiles. Istanbul is much easier to manage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the 2nd expansion it should be a truly great game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brown
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
It's one of our most played games. With the expansions and larger board it's added a whole other dimension to the game play.

Would buy it again with out hesitation.

I echo this 100%. It is one of my most played games. I love the expansion (hope to have the second expansion soon). It gets played a lot more than Five Tribes or Concordia, even though I love those games too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sonicwarhol wrote:
Yes, I heard Five Tribes is an AP nightmare for some people ...
Bidding on the turn order each round is a "game" in itself as it requires working out what the best possible moves are and then decide whether it's worth bidding for 1st player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HELL YES! \m/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Benson
United States
REDMOND
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:

Why does the expansion make it so much better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking for resources in how to grow in friendship, unity, and/or intimacy in marriage? - Ask me!
badge
More Woo-Hoo Gamer reviews coming throughout 2017!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonicwarhol wrote:
Myoman wrote:

More options!

Kind of like the first two expansions for Carcassonne. Made a great game even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Istanbul is the only game i rated 10 stars so far.
i really love this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl G
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonicwarhol wrote:
Myoman wrote:

It enhances the game rather than make changes. There are more ways to achieve victory, a larger board, more power cards, etc. I definitely love this game and am not even close to being tired of it. And everyone I've played it with always seems to really dig it as well. I feel like it's a game that can play well to both new gamers and gamers looking for something meaty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I didn't like the expansion at all. I traded it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorites. Quick and easy to teach, relatively quick game play (45-60), but with enough strategy and depth to keep it interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was underwhelmed the times I played Istanbul. Each play didn't seem different enough from one another, and while good, I didn't feel I'd buy it over Concordia.

Having said that, I'm a voice of dissent when it comes to Five Tribes. I don't find it to be particularly fun to play - the game feels far too much like simply playing Spot It, or a competitive version of Where's Waldo. The AP comes more from not being sure you've seen all the options than from having to make a tough decision, and rather than feel like I won or lost based on good or bad decisionmaking or strategic play I often feel like I'd simply failed to spot something on a specific turn or two. It's a good game, it's fun enough, but I would rather play Istanbul.

Which is to say, Istanbul is a very near miss for me. I'd agree that there are other games I'd prioritize acquiring, but I would still enjoy having it if I'd bought it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaius Cordovan
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would purchase it again and again. A great game especially with both expansions..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a Turkish delight on a moonlit night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the 2nd expansion refreshes the game quite well. (the first one is not that interesting imho. It's ok, but as good as the 2nd)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick ChemE
United States
Kalama
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonicwarhol wrote:

Thoughts? Thanks.

Played a few times and sold it off and haven't missed it. Every path was different but had the same result - except the die rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.