BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Eurogames for a New Gaming Group? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor Chiburis
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
This is my first BGG post so apologies if it's not in the right spot or isn't how I'm supposed to go about asking. A little backstory:

I've recently caught the board game fever and have been quickly buying up games since August for myself and friends to play. I want to try out a Eurogame or two but am worried that my group may lose interest with a lack of theme and/or too many rules. Some friends who are more seasoned gamers say that they can get boring from time to time. We're mostly 20-somethings who work in theatre, music, and a lot of us are teachers.

For reference, games we've enjoyed thus far that have seen multiple plays:
-Letters From Whitechapel (My fav longer group game)
-Love Letter
-Tales of The Arabian Nights (BIG HIT)
-Mysterium
-Pandemic
-Memoir 44
-Cosmic Encounter
-Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective
-Codenames

What are good eurogames for an enthusiastic gaming group that isn't necessarily hardcore? Something intriguing yet balanced and still a solid game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A good place to post is in the recommendations forum but here you go:

Fresco
Alien Frontiers(science fiction dice worker placement)
Kingsburg (another dice placement game)
Village
Viticulture
Stone Age
Ticket to Ride
Istanbul
Above and Below for kind of story driven worker placement
Lewis & Clark
7 Wonders (card drafting)
I see you haven't played Catan yet...you should at least try it. There's a reason it's so popular.
Carcassone (tile laying, but if you want something that improves on it, Isle of Skye)

For an auction game, anything by Renier Knizia is good.

You can try Terra Mystica, although it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I think Tom Vasel does a very good job with his Top Ten game lists, it will give you a good idea of a game and if you might like it. You don't have to agree with him always, but it's a place to start. Now he has Jason with him, who is a Euro guy. Game Boy Geek likes Euros so you can always check out his videos, as well. I like Rahdo but he will sell you on every single game he reviews so watch out!

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Chiburis
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Thank you! Very helpful all around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.