Subject: Runaway Leader Fatal Flaw? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really want to keep playing this game buuuut...
More often than not a player establishes a significant lead within the first 3 rounds after which during following rounds they have no real reason to go back to camp while all the other players have to keep exploring to catch up! When eventually everyone busts the leader retains their advantage with one less round remaining for a reversal of fortunes that 8 times out of 10 never comes. We like push your luck but the runaway leader issue seems a fatal flaw?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You're thinking too much. If a guy is ahead, go for it. Don't worry about the odds so much.

The game only lasts fifteen minutes, not long enough to have a fatal flaw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also the idea of the tents/chests that hide the treasure is that you don't really know how much of a lead anyone has. Unless you have perfect memory. If the gems were kept in the open the game wouldn't be anywhere near as fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Frenzy (Split Enz, 1979)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Jeffrey has a point though. This happens sometimes to me also, someone gets a big lead early, and can't be caught. I still like the game though, as a fun gateway and filler.

Of course there's a lot of luck in this game, and sometimes it's plain impossible to catch someone. But also remember that there's a tradeoff between exploring more and returning to the tent: either way can earn you a lot of points with luck and timing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that may be a problem if just a few are playing--that is, the leader matching the follower's play.

But in larger games, that guy in the lead can't match everyone. He may choose to stay on with some players, but the people running back and picking up the droppings often gain more than those that stay. And particularly in a large game, someone nearly always stays until they get chased and have to drop everything, so the strategy of trying to stay in to match that player will net the leader zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
I also think the OP has a valid point. It DOES happen sometimes, and it isn't fun. I've seen it in games with 6+ players also.

There are some mitigation strategies in the variant forums. These come to mind:
- play 10 rounds instead of 5 (slow and steady can catch a one-time runaway)
- play with a robo-player who gets an equal share of the loot and always stays until the last player leaves (so no one is ever left alone getting all the treasure/artifacts)... you can choose if/how the robo-player leaves

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.