Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife picked this up at a thrift store this morning. We haven't come across one of these before. The flip side is a standard chess/checker board. Curious as to what game this is for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True
United States
Seaside
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Nope,
But it is going to look great on your game room wall.
True
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it is some sort of Carrom board. Are those airplanes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
Are those airplanes?

I believe so. Carrom's a possibility, but the letters, numbers and circles on there make me think it's something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some kind of Aeroplane Chess perhaps?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroplane_Chess

But even that doesn't look quite right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Perhaps, it is a 'Board' of one kind, with yet several others from one of them 'wooden' "Board Games Combos", that usually have an assortment with theirs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nace
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looks like it could be from one of those "Game Chests" that have several different boards with rules and pieces for use in a bunch of different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Wilson
United States
Wilmette
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks vaguely like the New Game of King's Quoits board from the late-19th century. It had little wooden pieces in various circles that one tried to ring with little bone rings by flipping them Tiddly Winks style. It looks like your game has the concentric circles for placing the wooden pieces and that, instead of the royal figures in the corners, each player has either a scoring feature or bonus numbers.

Here's what it looks like:

Hey! I don't know but it's a theory.

My only other thought is that Samuel Lowe, Company out of Kenosha, WI in the 1950s had about three different airplane games (Airplane Speedway and Hornet are the two I remember). The company is mostly known for children's books (founded by the former president of Whitman Publishing in Racine, Wi which sold some of the children's books I picked up in my early years--including the Disney-licensed Zorro book). More to the point, even Bruce Whitehill's Games: American Boxed Games and their Makers: 1822-1992 with Values only pictures one color and one black and white image of the Hornet box and nothing of the board. And I can't seem to comb through (sift through?) all of the children's book stuff to find the actual game board. Maybe I should contact Bruce on his Big Game Hunter site or maybe Philip Orbanes at his game company's site?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

GROGnads wrote:
Perhaps, it is a 'Board' of one kind, with yet several others from one of them 'wooden' "Board Games Combos", that usually have an assortment with theirs?

translation...

Pandeminatic wrote:
Looks like it could be from one of those "Game Chests" that have several different boards with rules and pieces for use in a bunch of different games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.