Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Could there be less hype/marketing for this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James W
United States
California
flag msg tools
Outside of a short blitz of "there's a new Buffy game coming" around June there's been basically radio silence. I preordered it so got notification that it's release was delayed.

Jasco games doesn't even have a Buffy area on their forums. They recently showed the white box and some print samples as well as posted rules.

Their Twitter account is also strangely silent for an operating company. No real gameplay previews either.

Any ideas? My two thoughts are: it's not a good game and they're using the license to sell the game (hope that's not the case and some people have commented it was fun when they played at the convention) or they assume the Buffy license sells itself. This latter is a risk because there's so much competition out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
They just announced on their Facebook page that retail copies are two to three weeks away.

They may see this as more of a general public game versus board gamer game so will promote more once it is released versus promoting pre orders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My skepticism about earlier dates has been replaced with skepticism that it'll come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also possible they are just a super small company and the PR aspects don't get as much attention as they would like. If there are 2-3 people handling everything it, promotion might me limited to conventions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thank you for the note about Facebook. Good to see there's some communication out there.

As for Jasco being small, they may be, and if they are, their focus seems to be on their Mega-Man KS (which was probably timed around Buffy being done in October).

I'm hoping this game will be successful so they can make expansions including more characters and/or An Angel board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea how small Jasco is, but Stronghold games is small, in fact its 1 person part-time, and yet he manages to publicize his product line just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ferrier
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From watching their video at Essen from the BGG booth they did appear less then competent about publicity as they showed up with the box cover and a few cards so they couldn't demonstrate game play because some people where playing their copy at the time, yup missed free publicity to thousands of potential customers to demo to 4. I only got to see the full game being played by some fan that was walking by and filming it Essen Speil so it really did exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Watson
United States
Farmington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've felt the same about the lack of publicity and updates on Roborally (HASBRO) and Dr. Who: Time of the Daleks (Gale Force 9). Both these were announced long ago and both have had little in the way of updates. Dr. Who has now slid nearly a year (from early June 2016 to a soft target of April 2017)

My suspicion is that we probably care more than nearly everyone else and no communication is enough and every delay is way too long. At least I feel this way for all three games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Gofton
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
lol - context my friend. That BGG interview was so rushed and last minute by BGG - we didn't have a choice and I'm not going to tell, 4 people that are having a great time that they lose their game because of publicity.

I have a heart...

That fan was me... the creator. Should have said hi.

fsnam wrote:
From watching their video at Essen from the BGG booth they did appear less then competent about publicity as they showed up with the box cover and a few cards so they couldn't demonstrate game play because some people where playing their copy at the time, yup missed free publicity to thousands of potential customers to demo to 4. I only got to see the full game being played by some fan that was walking by and filming it Essen Speil so it really did exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Gofton
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We've already developed Angel! Lot's of fun when we get to 2017. Jasco is just digging out of the Mega Man hole at the moment. Their first game really did a number on them, but they do care.. and are just getting back their footing.

I hope you like the Buffy game though when you get the chance to see it/play it.

puckstop98 wrote:
Thank you for the note about Facebook. Good to see there's some communication out there.

As for Jasco being small, they may be, and if they are, their focus seems to be on their Mega-Man KS (which was probably timed around Buffy being done in October).

I'm hoping this game will be successful so they can make expansions including more characters and/or An Angel board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Gofton
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
BANG on....

between that and trying to survive in this industry...we do what we can! I wish jasco would do more though... Lynnvander can only do so much... we're only allowed to do so much by licensing standards because we are NOT the publisher. Only the game dev.

venrondua wrote:
It's also possible they are just a super small company and the PR aspects don't get as much attention as they would like. If there are 2-3 people handling everything it, promotion might me limited to conventions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Gofton
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow me to relieve that.... the game WILL indeed come out. We've seen the production samples and now the game is done. Looking good quality wise... I hope you like it!

stevepop wrote:
My skepticism about earlier dates has been replaced with skepticism that it'll come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lynnvander wrote:
Allow me to relieve that.... the game WILL indeed come out. We've seen the production samples and now the game is done. Looking good quality wise... I hope you like it!

stevepop wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thomas - thank you the replies.

I was looking for gameplay videos to show my wife who's been a huge Buffy fan for years. I preordered and am looking forward to playing. The art looks great and the snippets from fans sound like its a blast.

Hopefully jasco sees threads like this and realize that a little promotion can go a long way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Brown
United States
Pine Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an FYI, on November 18th they stated: "They are completely finished with production (and corrections in the case of the off-cut punch boards for Buffy) and are shipping out shortly. We expect 2-3 weeks for them to arrive to us for pre-orders to be fulfilled and will be in stores a few weeks after that (hopefully in time for Christmas!)"

That is the latest that I know. They are very vocal and will answer messages readily on their Facebook page. That is where I have been able to reach them anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Watson
United States
Farmington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome news! Thanks for providing the update!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lynnvander wrote:
We've already developed Angel!

Sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if my local store will get it by christmas (where I preordered).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
I wonder if my local store will get it by christmas (where I preordered).

I got a hold of the closest reliable store I know an they can't even tell me if they're ordering it.

And preordering from the site is about $20 shipping.

But I'll figure something out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I randomly wandered into my local gamestore and saw this.

I bought it of course because I will absolutely orgasm at the words Buffy, and this is 100% an instabuy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
Bought the game, i really like how it's done.

I can count 6 logical characters for the angel game

Angel, Cordelia, Fred, Lorne, Charles and Wesley...even though i hated Lorne and would rather have Kate ten times over. I suppose he was just there too long. That being said, this game can be good with a family (sort of) and 2 female characters might not cut it. I would really like to see Illyria, actually.

One big character escapes the list though and that's Faith. She was in both series and kind of a main character too. It'd be great if it was added as a playable character and monster of the week in both games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I. Withnail
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with those 6, and would also love to see Illyria - that would keep it to 6 characters because you couldn't play Fred and Illyria in the same game. Maybe her card could be double-sided with the option to flip after the Big Bad reveal? The only downside to those 6 is there's no space for Pete Campbell Connor. I see Faith as belonging in the Buffy game, but if an Angel game does materialise, maybe all characters could be playable in either, or with some kind of cameo appearance ability for one or two rounds only. What I'd really love is some way of playing with Sunnydale and LA on the table at the same time, with simultaneous Big Bads and some overlapping interactions, but now I'm just getting carried away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
Esplugues de Llobregat
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sybaris wrote:
Bought the game, i really like how it's done.

I can count 6 logical characters for the angel game

Angel, Cordelia, Fred, Lorne, Charles and Wesley...even though i hated Lorne and would rather have Kate ten times over.

No love for Doyle? He was part of the original three before Wesley took over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
Oh yes, Doyle was one of my favorite, especially compared to early Wesley aka comic-relief goof. I really didn't like Lorne because he brought nothing useful (imho) other than look silly.

It's not easy to pick 6 with Angel as the "gang" changed alot over the series.

At the start of the series:

Angel
Cordelia
Kate (to an extent, but she is recurring and definitely able to act)
Doyle

Then the following come in at various times:

Wesley
Gunn
Lorne (ugh...please no)
Fred
Spike
Ilyria

Even Faith has some role to play at one point.

My favorites being:

Angel
Cordelia
Doyle
Kate
Spike
Ilyria

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I. Withnail
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to show some love for Lorne! He's a must-include, for me: his character was a great addition, there's a superficiality that reflects showbiz LA, but also a lot of depth from his inability to be true to himself where he was from and finding his real home with Angel. Admittedly his aura reading might be tough to translate into gameplay but that could probably work by an ability to choose multiple Monsters of the Week and/or plot cards, and select the kindest and remove the harshest from the game or place it at the bottom of the deck. Or something like that. Plus, his "puppet cancer" line was priceless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.