Subject: Marvel Mini Expansion: Master of Kung-Fu rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
My Usual Intro...
Inspired by the original custom ideas of Stu Anderson (andjosh05 https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1056972/marvel-expansion-av) and others in the variant section. I decided to add-on to the Marvel characters with character specific theme mini expansions instead of trying to make big boxed sets.

This is for entertainment purposes only. Not to be sold. All art work and characters belong to their respective owners.

What I have learned by doing all of these custom cards is how hard it is to balance theme versus competitive game play. Comics are inherently imbalanced but the subjective nature of the art form allows the creators to make any villain competitive. As you can tell from looking at my customs, I'm more into the art over the science (theme over competitive game play). Anyway...on to the real reason why I'm posting.

Remember that special surprise I kept telling you about. Well this is it! I give you another member of Hero for Hires and an ally of the martial artist Iron Fist, Shang-Chi.

Shang-Chi has an interesting Oversize Superhero ability, if the first card you play is a Punch you may put another Punch into your hand. That is the best way, I feel, to demonstrate his Bruce Lee style speed (ala Enter the Dragon). His Hero card, Master of Kung-Fu, works synergistically by enhancing his Oversized cards ability.

Freelance Restorations is a Hero team he worked with. They were an independent agency that worked to stop the evil efforts of Fu Manchu. Like all my custom Hero team cards, it has an Ongoing text that reflects the teams ability.

Martial Arts Master is just what is says. "To know defeat your enemy, you must master yourself", was once said by a tv martial arts master. This card allows you know yourself by knowing your next 2 card draws as well as to recognize the opportunity to strike with maximum force.

Sons of the Tiger was a comic in the 70's about three 20 something martial artist (modeled after Enter the Dragon) each who had a part of the Jade Tiger Amulet. The same Amulet that comes from K'un-Lun. The same Amulet that gives White Tiger his (or her) power. In the comics, these three could combine each of their pieces of the Amulet to give one of their members a super form or ability. This comic didn't last too many issues but they are a part of the Marvel martial arts continuum and I feel earn a part of the "obscure" characters I have an affinity for making.

Also by giving any Hero the Amulet you basically give them the power of the White Tiger. So this is actually making the White Tiger without making the White Tiger card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Page 2 are the Villains of the Master of Kung-Fu, Fu Manchu.

Zheng Zu a.k.a. Fu Manchu is a character that was created in the early 1900s. Not to get to much into the Fu Manchu mythos, Marvel acquired the license and made Shang-Chi his son. In a Secret Wars story line they brought back Fu Manchu, after they have lost the license, and renamed him Zheng Zu.

As a comic character he very similar to DC comic's Ras Al Ghul. In the game he is more of an exploiter of Weaknesses which his abilities reflects that.

Zheng Zu commands the Si-Fan Ninjas. A specialized group of ninjas but not as numerous or easily defeated as the Hand. So they are not a horde card.

Fan Lo Suee is the daughter of Zheng Zu and sister of Shang-Chi. She, like Talia Al Ghul, is duel-natured. She sometimes helps the heroes and some time is loyal to daddy. Her ability uniquely reflect that and allow the players to relive her treachery.

Moving Shadow is the son of Zheng Zu and the younger brother of Shang-Chi. His power reflects how much of a match he is for his brother with his attack.

Elixir Vitai is the potion that Fu Manchu a.k.a. Zheng Zu takes to keep his almost 1000 year old body young (told ya he is like Ras Al Ghul).

Razor Fist is the one common enemy of Shang Chi and Iron Fist. He is a mercenary who accepts pay to commit crimes, like killing heroes.

Shaka Kharn is an ancient warrior who was brought back to life using the Elixir Vitai. Like Kirigi the unstoppable Ninja from Daredevil, he is an unstoppable Samuria. His Ambush-Attack reflects his ability with the sword, making it harder for those who benefit from Starter cards from gaining the bonuses to defeat him.

It would be an amazing themed deck to put Fu Manchu, the Hand and Court of Owls in a themed deck against Batman and Robin.

Download and print Kirigi's custom here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1669123/marvel-mini-expansi...

Finally is the Secret Wars: Battling Against the Corporation. That was a story line that ran from the Master of Kung-Fu, Power Man and Iron Fist and Sons of the Tiger comics. This was an international conglomerate that Fu Manchu, was a part of.

As always, your thoughts, suggestions, corrections and feedback are welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.