GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,462 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: RTL uniques master or minion?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have just played scenario 1 of Kindred Fire as a solo 2-hero game.

When it asked me to place the elemental (Wrath Incarnate) it specifically did not specify that this was a minion or master and although a "unique" the rues do not seem to specify if all uniques are minion or master.. I did check the text, it said "spawn an elemental, this is wrath incarnate" no mention of master/minion.

So with a lack of any better info I spawned a minion as this is respecting the group limits and the instructions to RTL do say "respect group limits unless told otherwise" and it didnt tell me otherwise... so....

So I had a minion.

But the app does mention activating minions and then the Unique (not master) and although I know the app always does activations for both minions and masters even if only one type is available, is the app suggesting the Unique should have actually been a "master" ??

Game-wise it would have only made a difference of +2 health which due to the dice rolls wouldnt have affected the outcome, but I had zero morale left and one hero had 1 health so for a different dice roll this could very easily have been the difference between winning and losing so I would really appreciate the official guidance on it for next time please if anyone knows.

It's been suggested that the red ring implies master but can't find a rulebook reference.

Appreciate any info please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would assume master with the red ring as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
The app shows a red ring for master, white ring for minion. Seldom will it place a Minion as a Unique monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
foxreinard wrote:
The app shows a red ring for master, white ring for minion. Seldom will it place a Minion as a Unique monster.

Thank you, does it actually ever do a white ring do we know or is it an assumption? Just wondering

Thank you both for replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 6 of the RTL rulebook says to place master monsters first if at all possible, so the unique monsters should be "red" master monsters unless they are already on the board (which is extremely unlikely).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wrong One wrote:
Page 6 of the RTL rulebook says to place master monsters first if at all possible, so the unique monsters should be "red" master monsters unless they are already on the board (which is extremely unlikely).

Hi thanks, I thought that was referring to group limits though in that if you had a group of say 1master 2minions and you kill the master and a minion, and then another of the group spawns, the master takes priority to be spawned rather than the minion.
Whereas in the group limits on the example I gave the group limit was simply 1 minion.
It does sound like the coloured ring may be the defining factor

Thanks for the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.