Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Chambers
Australia
SALISBURY NORTH
South Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Hello everyone. I propose a fun activity. You know that game idea you once had, you could never get to work, but would totally buy a copy if someone else could get it to work? Post that here!

This post is created, firstly as a resource for designers who are experiencing writers block and could use a fresh and new idea.

Secondly, for people with unworkable game ideas, if someone else makes that idea a reality for you, they'll let you know how to buy and/or print a copy, and wouldn't that be awesome?

Finally, maybe someone has already got your idea working years ago. If so, someone else can tell you where to purchase it.

A couple of requests:

-If you have read this far, and you're thinking "I'd certainly love to read what ideas other people have had", please find it in your heart to charitably share one of your own ideas also.

-If you are not going to share your ideas, please do not tell us why, or start a discussion on the pros and cons of ideas sharing, or tell us why no one would ever want to share an idea. Discussing someone else's idea is fine, but discussing idea sharing as a concept, whether for or against, is not the topic of this thread.

I'm going to start us off with my own unworkable idea I'd totally buy if anyone made:

I want an asymmetrical dating game where playing a female character trying to find the right man plays very differently from playing a male character trying to get a woman.

Maybe players start with one character, or maybe an entire family of characters that will not partake in incest. Haven't decided.

Not sure what the central choice of the game should be, but the idea I had was "improve the random hand I've been dealt" vs "go on dates and randomly pick a card from their hand to reveal one aspect of how good a catch they are".

Winner of the game is the player who settles down with the player with the highest scoring hand.

I've tried to get these ideas to work, but I just couldn't. If you can, you've probably made one sale already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like a Dune themed euro(ish) game where you have to build up an infrastructure and cultivate social/political standing on Arrakis. Should include a map of Arrakis and the threat of sand worms eating your spice harvesters should be there, and have factions with different powers/abilities.

I tried to design something but since I apparently suck as a game designer/developer and never got it to anywhere near playability

Someone make such a game please!

EDIT - @OP: have you heard of Fog of Love? Probably worth a look :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: If only this "Life-SiZed" game actually existed!!!
"LIFE-SIZED Monopoly" and 'moi' already HATH 'token' selected for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormparkiet wrote:
I'd like a Dune themed euro(ish) game where you have to build up an infrastructure and cultivate social/political standing on Arrakis. Should include a map of Arrakis and the threat of sand worms eating your spice harvesters should be there, and have factions with different powers/abilities.

I tried to design something but since I apparently suck as a game designer/developer and never got it to anywhere near playability

Someone make such a game please!

EDIT - @OP: have you heard of Fog of Love? Probably worth a look :-)

Umm...

Dune ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A crazy-cat-collector themed spacial tableau builder where certain types of cats don't get along, which forces your tableau to rearrange itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So start with a normal roll-and-move game. But instead of rolling 2 dice, each piece becomes 36 pieces on the next move, with 1 of them 2 moves away, 2 are 3 away, 4 are 4 away, up to 12 at 7 away, etc, with ALL of the possibilities coming 'true.' Each of the sub-men contribute 1/36th of the result.

The game is called "Many Worlds" after the quantum interpretation.

I think it is rendered impossible by practicalities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
crinaya wrote:
A crazy-cat-collector themed spacial tableau builder where certain types of cats don't get along, which forces your tableau to rearrange itself.

Close?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My idea, which bounces around my brain on odd occasions, is Boardgame: The Card Game - the metagame for boardgamers.

The game is to play boardgames and generate BIPS (Boardgame Indulgence Points).

Boardgame cards are deployed to the table. To "play" a boardgame you must use cards from your hand to match "player" cards and "time period" cards to the boardgame card, thus generating bips based on the number of players and their compatibility with the game.

Also with ideas such as:

* Deploy reusable player cards such as "game group", "family get-together" and "interested offspring."
* Some boardgames would be described as legacy meaning they could only be played a number of times before the boardgame card was discarded.
* Attack your opponents with cards such as "Posted Overseas (reduce a player card)", "Cult of the New (discard a deployed boardgame card after one play)" and the truly horrific "Don't like Wargames (a people card cannot be used with a wargame-classed boardgame card)."

Can you prove how good a boardgamer you are - by playing a card game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
crinaya wrote:

Close?

Thematic match, but not mechanically. I was thinking you'd build a grid of tiles to indicate cat food, cat toys, cat furniture, and of course cats. Different types of cats have different preferences and you get points for putting cats next to things they like, but if two cats that don't match well get put too close together in the grid it causes cats to fight and/or run away, which either costs points or forces cats in the grid to move around. You want as many cats as you can fit, but the wrong cat can send your house into chaos and invalidate all your cat happiness points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

Umm...

Dune ?

I'm talking about a euro game. So basically the mentioned themes should be represented in an abstracted form at least, but it should be a balanced strategy game with minimal luck (and not too much player chaos either if I can help it).

The original Dune game is fine and all, it's just not very... playable *dives for cover*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'd like to see some (coop?) bomb defuse game. But not so much like Bomb Squad or "Keep Talking" but more like replicating defusing cinematic trick bombs. Kinda like the episode Coundtdown from MacGyver. So its more a cat and mouse game to find backups for backups and dismantle the bomb layer by layer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonydude wrote:
I want an asymmetrical dating game where playing a female character...

Not sure what the central choice of the game should be, but the idea I had was "improve the random hand I've been dealt" vs "go on dates and randomly pick a card from their hand to reveal one aspect of how good a catch they are".

Marrying Mr. Darcy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormparkiet wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

Umm...

Dune ?

I'm talking about a euro game. So basically the mentioned themes should be represented in an abstracted form at least, but it should be a balanced strategy game with minimal luck (and not too much player chaos either if I can help it).

The original Dune game is fine and all, it's just not very... playable *dives for cover*

You might want to revisit the game. Just sayin'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
kilrah wrote:
Personally I'd like to see some (coop?) bomb defuse game. But not so much like Bomb Squad or "Keep Talking" but more like replicating defusing cinematic trick bombs. Kinda like the episode Coundtdown from MacGyver. So its more a cat and mouse game to find backups for backups and dismantle the bomb layer by layer.

ha! that was my idea for a mobile game app years ago.. of course it never went anywhere because i couldnt find programmers that would be into that idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3CreativeMinds wrote:

ha! that was my idea for a mobile game app years ago.. of course it never went anywhere because i couldnt find programmers that would be into that idea

Mobile would be 'kinda easy'. But to do it in cardboard, especially if not doing it 1 vs many would be a true challenge. No idea how one would pull that off. Closest is probably Der Millionen Coup but that is also semi app driven (by using a Tiptoi, which is pretty much the same as an app).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Well, there is no dismantling layer by layer but still this was my most popular mod for TTS. Probably because it was the easiest one to pick up and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United Kingdom
Worcester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an idea for an exciting co-op/hidden-movement game based around the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who.

Players would move their characters around a creepy old house, graveyard, spaceship etc, trying to reach some objective, whilst trying to avoid death by Angel.

The Angels would be actively hunting the players down, trying to draw them into traps etc.

The Angels cannot be killed, but they can be slowed - whenever a character has line-of-sight on an Angel, the Angel cannot move - this is the players' defence strategy. But, if the character turns their back or blink, the Angel's are able to move at high speed.

There would be a depleting action system, whereby the longer a character stares at an Angel, the fewer actions they're able to perform, and the slower they are able to move, until they must blink. So they'd need to make sure they can get to safety (round a corner, through a door etc) before that. Or maybe get another character to help them, so they can take it in turns looking at the Angel. Until another one creeps up behind them, or they turn a corner and then have no idea where the Angel will pop up next!

Maybe actions would be cards in a hand, and when you have to (or choose to) redraw, that's when you blink. Or something like that...

Anyway, unfortunately, it turns out that making a "smart" hidden movement AI engine for a board game is probably not possible. It may work as a semi-co-op game, where one player controls the Angels, but I sort of lost interest at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A competitive X-Com themed game where each player is a different nation defending the Earth.

There'd be a base-management (money, research, techs, soldiers, equipment) aspect to the game as well as a tactical mini's aspect (playing through several missions, with base-management in between), with a dash of air combat thrown in.

Importantly, the player should have some emotional investment in their soldiers, so that when they die, the player is sad but not disenfranchised.

I tried really hard, and haven't given up yet, but it's hard to make each of those aspects interesting without the game dragging on forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
kilrah wrote:
3CreativeMinds wrote:

Mobile would be 'kinda easy'. But to do it in cardboard, especially if not doing it 1 vs many would be a true challenge. No idea how one would pull that off. Closest is probably Der Millionen Coup but that is also semi app driven (by using a Tiptoi, which is pretty much the same as an app).

you know i actually want to design a prototype now haha. Give me a month or so

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
robot Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri ALSO, within 'moi' OWNS version for 'life-sized-"The Game of LIFE & DEATH RACE 2020" then here is MEIN 'token'! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
byronczimmer wrote:

Umm...

Dune ?
Stormparkiet wrote:

In Putin Russia DUNE it is HE that "turned on" the 'Sandworm', sans 'shirt' no doubt, Comrade! robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Private
msg tools
Jonydude wrote:

I'm going to start us off with my own unworkable idea I'd totally buy if anyone made:

I want an asymmetrical dating game where playing a female character trying to find the right man plays very differently from playing a male character trying to get a woman.

Maybe players start with one character, or maybe an entire family of characters that will not partake in incest. Haven't decided.

Winner of the game is the player who settles down with the player with the highest scoring hand.

I've tried to get these ideas to work, but I just couldn't. If you can, you've probably made one sale already.

So basically, you would have something like 6 characters, 3 male and 3 women. The goal of the women would be to select the best guy, and the goal of the men? To be the most desired? There would be two winners a man and a woman? I like it.

Sounds a bit like a combination of Clue and the Dating Game. Still not sure how the actual mechanics would work. Perhaps there can be some challenges that involve a dice roll and the players attribute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan The Dwarf
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spitfire23bc wrote:
I had an idea for an exciting co-op/hidden-movement game based around the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who...

Maybe actions would be cards in a hand, and when you have to (or choose to) redraw, that's when you blink. Or something like that...

Anyway, unfortunately, it turns out that making a "smart" hidden movement AI engine for a board game is probably not possible. It may work as a semi-co-op game, where one player controls the Angels, but I sort of lost interest at that point.

Would this have to be hidden movement? I think the Angels could be AI. Perhaps you could have it that they don't move when a player'pawn is facing them but will move as far as they can without being seen (lime of sight) of a player. I like your idea of blinking when you draw cards. Maybe have an angel move a certain amount of spaces towards a player when they "blink" as long as the angel isn't in line of sight of another player. You could also have actions that require that the player looks away (like putting batteries in a torch) that allow the Angels to move forward.

Oh man, I'm pretty excited by this idea. It really has me thinking!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AG AG
Chile
flag msg tools
mb
i´ve always thought of a wargame in wich one player planned an invasion and the other player planned the defense. This with absolute freedom. Then, the rest of the game would be "watching" the invasion fail or triumph, only beeing able to change things in a limited way, like an away-from-thebattlefield general.

This was originally inspired by the movie "A Bridge too Far"

Someone should be able to do this in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United Kingdom
Worcester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seasnan wrote:
spitfire23bc wrote:
I had an idea for an exciting co-op/hidden-movement game based around the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who...

Would this have to be hidden movement? I think the Angels could be AI. Perhaps you could have it that they don't move when a player'pawn is facing them but will move as far as they can without being seen (lime of sight) of a player. I like your idea of blinking when you draw cards. Maybe have an angel move a certain amount of spaces towards a player when they "blink" as long as the angel isn't in line of sight of another player. You could also have actions that require that the player looks away (like putting batteries in a torch) that allow the Angels to move forward.

Oh man, I'm pretty excited by this idea. It really has me thinking!

I kind of wanted the tension of needing to watch the Angels so they don't get you, but also wanting to move away to be able to do more, but then not knowing where they are! It would work without hidden movement, but I think it would become far more tactical and less tense, which isn't what I was after.

I'd love to know if you get anywhere with it though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.