Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hypothetical Scenario:

The Klingons and the Federation have exchanged 3 trade agreements, and the Romulans use Multi-Spectral Emitter Drones to exhaust the Federation 3 (held by the Klingons.) The Federation swaps out their 3 (held by the Klingons, now exhausted) for their 2 (not exhausted). Then, they use their 3 as part of a new trade with the Cardassians.

In this scenario:

Has the Federation broken any rules? (Not as far as I can tell.)
How many production do the Klingons get from their Federation trade? (I think 2, even though this reading of the rules makes Multi-Spectral Emitter Drones pretty weak.)
How many production do the Cardassians get from their Federation trade? (I think 0.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I would not think a trade agreement would need to remain exhausted once it returns to the issuer. I believe the Cardasians would get full value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If that's the case, they could just give it back to the Klingons again, and Multi-Spectral Emitter Drones does nothing without the cooperation of the Federation. (I guess it gives you a culture when you complete it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
I would not think a trade agreement would need to remain exhausted once it returns to the issuer. I believe the Cardasians would get full value.

Interesting scenario. Since exhausted cards are only flipped back up during the Maintenance step of the Recharge stage, I don't think trading the card would automatically flip it back over. Unless there is some precedent that I've missed.

I think I'd rather lean towards not being able to swap an exhausted trade card since it isn't anything when flipped down like that. It isn't providing trade until flipped back up, so it's like a null card. And while null, the rule about swapping trade cards at any time wouldn't apply. But that's just a guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
brisingre wrote:
If that's the case, they could just give it back to the Klingons again, and Multi-Spectral Emitter Drones does nothing without the cooperation of the Federation. (I guess it gives you a culture when you complete it.)

True. Nevermind what I said then. Clearly, I was mistaken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's essentially how I 'want' it to work. I feel like it's an exploit that you can nullify most of Multi-Spectral Drones effect by swapping to a new trade agreement card. I don't want that to be possible.

The rules on establishing trade agreements say "You may do this at any time. Once you have given a rival a Trade Agreement, you may exchange it for one of your other Trade Agreement Cards regardless of Ships' positions." They never mention that Trade Agreement Cards have to be un-exhausted.

On the other hand, the rules on exhausted things just says they "can't be used", which could very well be interpreted to mean they can't be swapped out or retracted, in addition to not producing resources that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is, in fact, a rule about exhausted trade agreements I missed.

on page 24: Exhausted trade agreements cannot be revoked or exchanged until they're refreshed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.