Subject: Painting MDF rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
I'm looking to buy a bunch of terrain for some miniature gaming. Is there any particular paint (brand and type) I should look into for the best results? I have a wide variety of army painter paints, paints from the reaper HD line. I also have the Citadel air paint set. Honestly I was looking to avoid using these as I am going to need a lot of paint for all the buildings I plan to get. Also I don't know if those acrylic based paints are the best to use.

I have plenty of craft stores around (Michael's, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby) Is there any brands and paint types people tend to lean towards when painting MDF products, seems most terrain is that material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've nicely sourced craft paints for the details. But a Lowe's, Home Depot, or other hardware/paint stores should have samples or excess paint returned if you can get some basic colors in rather large sizes.

Acrylic/Latex is the way to go for creating stuff indoors and not planning to leave them out in the rain and snow. Soap and water cleanup is far better than toxic solvents if you don't have a well ventilated workshop, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always used masonry paint fine grit for terrain projects you can get some good deals this time of year too. No one wants to paint outside at the moment.
They have good adhesive qualities and with most being water based your craft/hobby paints take very well. The fine grit is awesome if you like to dry brush for effect too.
The MDF can be a bit thirsty so if you use craft paints. Bit of watered down PVA glue will help seal it .
Good luck with your terrain project , they are time consuming but always worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Seal it, then spray it: http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/topic/14355-painting-mdf-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kowynia
United States
Bedford
TX
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree with the last poster. You are better off sealing first especially if you are planning on using latex based paint. MDF, while great for a lot and used frequently for scenery, can warp fairly easily. Once sealed, I have had great results with hardware store sprays. I have made some fairly large scenery pieces too, 2' x 2.5' being about the biggest. Good luck. Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
painting
It depends on how many hours of work per building you are willing to invest.

I like to start with Emory cloth and use a Dremel with polishing stone before the primer.

Back in the nineties I painted up a 25mm scaled space colony using mostly resin models from Ground Zero Games. First the doors and bottoms had to be masked. Then the building would be painted with fleckstone. While the building was wet, the lines between blocks had to be detailed with dental picks. Then each building took a day or so for the fleckstone to cure. After that a thin line between each block, and then paint the doors and other details that had been masked off. Follow that with a wash and then three clearcoats to protect the fleckstone.

It turned out beautiful but I probably had more than six hours per building in the complex. I could justify the time because the buildings got used for the homegrown miniatures game we were working on, Champions RPG, TORG, and West End's Star Wars RPG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
OK great. I seal all my minis with Testors dullcote (or glosscote depending on the mini and the results I'm looking for) So hit it with the dullcote before priming?

I prime everything with army painter spray primer, have a variety of colors.

Most of the buildings and scenery I am planning on buying I have found on ttcombat.com Anyone have any other good go to sites for terrain? That site seems to have most everything, I can't seem to find any sites with everything I'm looking for in the states though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Garoo
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi there!
As I was looking for an easy and still good-looking approach to paint MDF buildings, I stumbled across this nice blog, which might also help you: http://sixdsix.co.uk/?p=4686.

It's pretty straight forward, simple to apply (if applied to the individual parts still in the wooden frame, it's even easier) and the results are really not too shabby, providing a good, playable result and/or base for further improvements/refinements.

Currently (just started the past weekend), I am working on 2 buildings from the TT Combat Old West line: The bank (which I will put to use as a Wells Fargo office) and the hotel, and up to now it's really progressing well.

Please don't get me wrong, I saw a lot of awesome results from some guys who put great effort into their MDF buildings (incl. priming and all) and I would never dare compare that to this approach but to simply get some good results and be able to play quickly, this is really nice I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.